Author Topic: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 4973 times)

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 04:36:17 PM »
For sure, but let's not imagine he'll be easy to replace.

The team is built on the theory that players like Hyman are though. Every forward other than the big 4 is just a guy on a cheap contract who cycles in, gives good value and maybe even has a great year (driven by the superstars), and then cashes in somewhere else.

Ive been coming around to the idea that a middle class is good to have, but, If reporting from CJ and Mirtle is right, Hyman’s just beyond what they can afford after this last season

Is it me or has the current Leafs regime been pretty complacent about getting extensions done? Or are all the upcoming UFAs flatly refusing to discuss a deal until after their ‘contract season’?

There have been 22 contract signings in 2021 that have been for more than 1,000,000 and at least 2 years.  Noone is signing contracts right now.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 04:39:52 PM »
With Hyman almost certainly gone I'm coming around to the idea of trying to bring Foligno back. I know Chris Johnston was kinda musing about the possibility of him coming back on a 1-year deal to sorta rebuild his value and take another shot with the Leafs. Lots of talk about him returning to Columbus originally but with Torts gone and them maybe going through a bit of a rebuild with a potential Jones trade maybe he stays here for a year or two before going back. Don't think he replaces Hyman entirely but still a good lite version to have around, especially in defensive situations and on the PK.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 04:57:55 PM »
A $6 million cap hit might sound outrageous to some Leafs fans, who have watched as Hyman has gone from a Marlies checker to a bonafide NHL first-liner over the last six seasons. But, statistically speaking, Hyman falls in the same category as veteran UFA wingers like Nick Foligno, Ryan Callahan, Cam Atkinson and, yes, David Clarkson who all signed for around 8 percent of the salary cap as UFAs over the last eight years.

Even in a pandemic-induced flat cap world, that’s $6.5 million a season.

I don't know which statistics he's using but it seems a little misleading to just list those guys without taking into account the impact playing on the lines he did impacted Hyman's offensive output. I'd have to look it up but I'd be very surprised if Callahan, Clarkson or Foligno ever had anything comparable.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 05:30:53 PM »
With Hyman almost certainly gone I'm coming around to the idea of trying to bring Foligno back. I know Chris Johnston was kinda musing about the possibility of him coming back on a 1-year deal to sorta rebuild his value and take another shot with the Leafs. Lots of talk about him returning to Columbus originally but with Torts gone and them maybe going through a bit of a rebuild with a potential Jones trade maybe he stays here for a year or two before going back. Don't think he replaces Hyman entirely but still a good lite version to have around, especially in defensive situations and on the PK.
I think you could get Foligno a lot cheaper then Hyman and I would bring him back too if possible. I like what he brought when healthy and would be a good fit with the team.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2021, 07:54:03 AM »
I think you could get Foligno a lot cheaper then Hyman and I would bring him back too if possible. I like what he brought when healthy and would be a good fit with the team.

In an ideal world I'd hold on to Hyman, Foligno and bring in whoever else fits that mold of tough-to-play-against. I'm looking at Komorov in these playoffs and regretting the fact the Leafs had to part ways with him. These are the exact type players the Leafs need to offset the high end talent that gets mugged and nurtured in the playoffs.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2021, 12:50:13 PM »
NHLPA 2020-2021 player poll:

Best Goal Scorer - Auston Matthews 1st (46.7%)
Best Shot - Auston Matthews 2nd (28.78%)
Best Stick Handler - Auston Matthews 4th (2.52%)
Best Passer - Mitch Marner 5th (5.71%)
Most Fashionable - Auston Matthews 1st (21.16%)

Should Regional Divisions carry forward - 68.2% say no
Should series-style schedule carry forward - 66.3% say yes

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 10:34:23 AM »
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021/06/18/toronto-maple-leafs-offseason-can-they-revamp-their-forward-depth-and-should-they-revise-their-ice-time-allocation/

This largely captures my read on the situation.
The top four likely returning doesn’t mean changes can’t be made to not only better support them but to actually help elevate their games — in part by not gassing Marner and Matthews with such a massive workload.

This is now multiple years in a row where the opposition has been able to neutralize the Leafs’ top weapons come playoff time — and the coaching staff’s only solution was to play them more.

TL;DR: Play Nylander more, gosh.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 10:44:37 AM by herman »
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2021, 12:26:57 PM »
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2021/06/18/toronto-maple-leafs-offseason-can-they-revamp-their-forward-depth-and-should-they-revise-their-ice-time-allocation/

This largely captures my read on the situation.
The top four likely returning doesn’t mean changes can’t be made to not only better support them but to actually help elevate their games — in part by not gassing Marner and Matthews with such a massive workload.

This is now multiple years in a row where the opposition has been able to neutralize the Leafs’ top weapons come playoff time — and the coaching staff’s only solution was to play them more.

TL;DR: Play Nylander more, gosh.

For years we complained that Babcock didn't play the stars enough.  Now they are playing too much. 

Got it.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2021, 12:29:16 PM »
For years we complained that Babcock didn't play the stars enough.  Now they are playing too much. 

Got it.

34/16 getting 25+
91/88 getting 15

is not quite as sustainable as

34/16 getting 21
91/88 getting 19
#BeBlessed

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2021, 12:40:15 PM »

Got it.

34/16 getting 25+
91/88 getting 15

34/16 getting 21
91/88 getting 19

I'm not disagreeing that Nylander could have used more TOI.  But the idea he's selling that M&M were "gassed" is really dubious.  They got neutralized by the Habs (well, that and Marner decided to channel Mikheyev).

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2021, 12:45:59 PM »

I'm not disagreeing that Nylander could have used more TOI.  But the idea he's selling that M&M were "gassed" is really dubious.  They got neutralized by the Habs (well, that and Marner decided to channel Mikheyev).

I'm having troubles taking it seriously because of this quote:
As Albert Einstein famously said, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Might as well have said we only use 10% of our brain power.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2021, 03:26:07 PM »

Got it.

34/16 getting 25+
91/88 getting 15

34/16 getting 21
91/88 getting 19

I like the bottom numbers better.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2021, 10:08:54 AM »

Friedman talked about the assistant coaches on Saturday's Headlines segment: "I understand there's a couple members of Toronto's staff (assistant coaches) that other teams have requested to speak to... if they don't get these particular opportunities it sounds like the coaching staff is coming back as a group."

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2021, 12:45:22 PM »
I am still excited for what Manny Malhotra can offer, but it can't be on the PP assignment anymore, please for the love of Nylander.
#BeBlessed

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2021, 01:02:34 PM »
I'm not against the idea of bringing them back given that if things don't work out next year it's like the entire coaching staff getting fired but whoo booy....making no changes when the coaching staff basically made no changes to an incompetent powerplay and made little to no adjustments to the style of play when we weren't winning games seems really concerning if we are also not touching the Big 4.