Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 57567 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1620 on: June 16, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »
So this isn't to open up the floor to sharing the latest conspiracy theory you've seen on FB, but it is a very, very thorough read on humankind's natural tendency to seek narrative in catastrophe (I blame Marner's one-dimensional offense and the coach's refusal to adjust/shelter that approach, for example). More importantly, the conspiracy theories about COVID-19 being artificial are bunk; don't be stupid.

Check out the article linked as well as the thread underneath the tweet.

For the lab leak theory to work, the Wuhan lab would need to have either found a completely novel and hyperinfectious virus in the wild and kept it in a lab without telling anyone, or engineered that virus in a way that would stun scientists at more advanced American labs by truncating decades of evolution into just a few years.

Then, there would need to have been a catastrophic breach of safety protocol that infected one or more staffers from the lab—but also, the accident would need to have gone unnoticed, so that they simply walked out of the building when their shift was done.
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: June 16, 2021, 12:39:59 PM »
So this isn't to open up the floor to sharing the latest conspiracy theory you've seen on FB, but it is a very, very thorough read on humankind's natural tendency to seek narrative in catastrophe (I blame Marner's one-dimensional offense and the coach's refusal to adjust/shelter that approach, for example). More importantly, the conspiracy theories about COVID-19 being artificial are bunk; don't be stupid.

Check out the article linked as well as the thread underneath the tweet.

For the lab leak theory to work, the Wuhan lab would need to have either found a completely novel and hyperinfectious virus in the wild and kept it in a lab without telling anyone, or engineered that virus in a way that would stun scientists at more advanced American labs by truncating decades of evolution into just a few years.

Then, there would need to have been a catastrophic breach of safety protocol that infected one or more staffers from the lab—but also, the accident would need to have gone unnoticed, so that they simply walked out of the building when their shift was done.

It's definitely easier  to find a "reason why" instead of facing the harsh realities of what a situation like this presents. It's exactly like global warming. It's easier to say "the earth has always been warming and cooling" than it is to say "yes the earth has always been warming and cooling but never before have we seen it warming at this rate. The implications of this speed will be a catastrophe that will cause mass extinction events". That's too scary for human's to comprehend. So, lying to ourselves is the go to for many. I find myself doing the same often. The "it's not as bad as we think" motto is usually not correct, but it's certainly easier to digest.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: June 16, 2021, 09:15:10 PM »
Got my second jab yesterday. Coming out of the post 2nd vaccine side effects at the moment. 10hrs of aches so I can see my parents again is very worth it.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: June 19, 2021, 12:27:24 AM »
Got my second jab yesterday. Coming out of the post 2nd vaccine side effects at the moment. 10hrs of aches so I can see my parents again is very worth it.
Awesome, congrats!
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: June 19, 2021, 12:48:20 PM »
How’s the 5G signal strength coming through where you are? Faster YouTube?
#BeBlessed

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: June 19, 2021, 04:03:01 PM »
How’s the 5G signal strength coming through where you are? Faster YouTube?

It doesn't activate until Windows 11 is released.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: June 21, 2021, 04:14:17 PM »
Seems to be a pattern
#BeBlessed

Offline Rob

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: June 21, 2021, 04:56:40 PM »
Seems to be a pattern

Lots of logistics issues with the vaccines that require being kept very cold.  There is a new vaccine coming that doesn't require refrigeration and is being targeted towards hotter climates. 

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: June 21, 2021, 04:59:14 PM »

Even though I understand the arguments for it, I think it would take a politician of very particular bravery or a better informed electorate for significant movement being made towards a more equitable distribution of vaccines while they're still in short supply.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: June 21, 2021, 07:19:54 PM »

Even though I understand the arguments for it, I think it would take a politician of very particular bravery or a better informed electorate for significant movement being made towards a more equitable distribution of vaccines while they're still in short supply.

100%.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: June 27, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »
My wife and I had our 2nd jab yesterday, they offered Moderna first, but said they could give us Pfizer if we preferred.  We took the Moderna,  painless jab, but this morning both are shoulders are pretty sore.

Just so happy to be fully vaccinated and ready to go back to work.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: June 27, 2021, 11:54:33 AM »
My wife and I had our 2nd jab yesterday, they offered Moderna first, but said they could give us Pfizer if we preferred.  We took the Moderna,  painless jab, but this morning both are shoulders are pretty sore.

Just so happy to be fully vaccinated and ready to go back to work.
Good stuff! My kid who's 19 got his 2nd on Friday. Not a good weekend for him. I got mine last Monday and had a site arm and felt a lil off. That's it. Glad to be fully vaxxed to. Can't wait to hit the east coast in August!

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: June 27, 2021, 08:09:05 PM »
I went to the ScotiaBank Arena for my 2nd shot when they opened it up to walk ins today. It took 20 minutes from when I lined up to getting the shot.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: June 27, 2021, 11:53:44 PM »
I went to the ScotiaBank Arena for my 2nd shot when they opened it up to walk ins today. It took 20 minutes from when I lined up to getting the shot.
Good for you man!

?s=19

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline TheMightyOdin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: June 28, 2021, 12:54:19 AM »
I was wondering if there would be a spike in Montreal with the partying that was going on in the streets.
The Catalyst?