Author Topic: 2020-2021 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 62770 times)

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2020-2021 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #2115 on: May 08, 2021, 05:14:26 PM »
I'm about as big of a Freddie supporter out there, but, let's just say I'm having doubts.

If this wasn't like pre season for him, I would be too. He's made some good saves. One thing I like is that he pretty much has to battle through screens almost every shot. Leafs should take a page out of how the Moose play lol. They love to jam the net.
I like his side to side movement though. He def looks unsure at times with the Marlies D if that makes any sense.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: May 08, 2021, 05:21:11 PM »
Made some big saves in the dying seconds. Man the Marlies D reminds me of the Leafs in the past sometimes. Giveaway machines in their own end lol.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: May 08, 2021, 05:23:58 PM »
Made some big saves in the dying seconds. Man the Marlies D reminds me of the Leafs in the past sometimes. Giveaway machines in their own end lol.

And a fair point. Will have to wait and see what he looks like back on the big club.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: May 08, 2021, 05:26:29 PM »
Kossila tried the Michigan in OT..lol
Freddie makes two huge saves in OT so far. Big glove and a breakaway save.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: May 08, 2021, 05:29:37 PM »
Lots of NHL goalies struggle in the AHL. Passes aren’t as accurate, guys aren’t in the spots they usually would be, etc. It’s harder to follow the play when you’re used to the way the game flows at the NHL level. AHL goalie stats are pretty useless as predictors for NHL success.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: May 08, 2021, 05:30:42 PM »
Lots of NHL goalies struggle in the AHL. Passes aren’t as accurate, guys aren’t in the spots they usually would be, etc. It’s harder to follow the play when you’re used to the way the game flows at the NHL level. AHL goalie stats are pretty useless as predictors for NHL success.
Well he's stopped 35 today.. crappy shootout coming.
Kossila was the only goal scorer for the Marlies in the shootout. They lose.. Robertson apparently has a 7 game point streak going, he scored a goal and had 8 shots.
I wonder if Freddie gets another game. They play again tomorrow but obviously he won't play that one. Maybe on Tuesday? We'll see.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 05:42:41 PM by Guilt Trip »

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: May 08, 2021, 06:01:05 PM »
I will echo HS...Ugh.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: May 08, 2021, 06:44:30 PM »
...except Freddie hasn't had much post season success here anyway soooo...
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: May 08, 2021, 07:15:38 PM »
The team hasn't either.... I'm not saying he's been lights out but he's not the only reason for the lack of playoff success. Fred had one bad series and that was the first one against Boston and they still went to 7 games. Take out that bad year and at least 1 of the others should have been good enough to win a series. In that 2nd series against Boston Freddie had a better SV% then Rask in 4 of the 7 games.
Last 4 years in the playoffs...
Wash...2.68GAA, 916SV%
Bos...3.76GAA, 896SV%
Bos...2.75GAA, 922SV%
CBJ...1.84GAA, 936SV%
Anyway not going to argue anything because we all know it'll be jack's net and Freddie will back him up. I hope Jack can run with it, but if he falters, I hope Freddie can be healthy and good to go.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: May 08, 2021, 10:50:19 PM »
The team hasn't either.... I'm not saying he's been lights out but he's not the only reason for the lack of playoff success. Fred had one bad series and that was the first one against Boston and they still went to 7 games. Take out that bad year and at least 1 of the others should have been good enough to win a series. In that 2nd series against Boston Freddie had a better SV% then Rask in 4 of the 7 games.
Wash...2.68GAA, 916SV%
Bos...3.76GAA, 896SV%
Bos...2.75GAA, 922SV%
CBJ...1.84GAA, 936SV%
Anyway not going to argue anything because we all know it'll be jack's net and Freddie will back him up. I hope Jack can run with it, but if he falters, I hope Freddie can be healthy and good to go.
As soon as I heard Bruce Boudreau say that Freddie choked in Anaheim for him also that was it for me.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: May 09, 2021, 05:10:54 AM »
Wash...2.68GAA, 916SV%
Bos...3.76GAA, 896SV%
Bos...2.75GAA, 922SV%
CBJ...1.84GAA, 936SV%
As soon as I heard Bruce Boudreau say that Freddie choked in Anaheim for him also that was it for me.
And when did he say that?

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: May 09, 2021, 07:28:21 AM »
Wash...2.68GAA, 916SV%
Bos...3.76GAA, 896SV%
Bos...2.75GAA, 922SV%
CBJ...1.84GAA, 936SV%

Other than his first playoff appearance with Anaheim, his numbers are also pretty good. I can't really talk about goal quality(was he still prone to letting in a back breaker every game), but he did average a .916 while in Anaheim. One season he had a .947(but only played 5 games).

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: May 09, 2021, 10:11:50 AM »
As generally happy as I am that we'll get to see the first Toronto-Montreal playoff series in decades, it's kind of a shame the Leafs don't get rewarded for first in the division by playing Winnipeg. The Jets are in absolute free-fall, I think they're 1-8 in their last 9 games.

Weren't the Jets something like 4 points behind the Leafs a few weeks ago? The margin is now 17 points.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: May 09, 2021, 12:35:21 PM »
I dunno, even if the jets are in a free fall, hellebuyck still scares me.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: May 09, 2021, 01:04:25 PM »
I dunno, even if the jets are in a free fall, hellebuyck still scares me.
Def. The Leafs will get no favours in goalies regardless of who they play. Both Price and Hellebuyck are capable of stealing a series. Leafs will need to stick to the plan and the goals will hopefully come.