Just for Fun > Ok Blue Jays Talk

2021 Blue Jays General Discussion Thread

<< < (110/115) > >>

Nik:

So I think it's clear right now that the Jays have 5 main issues for the off-season which I'll list in what I think are their relative importance:

1. Re-signing or replacing Semien
2. Re-signing or replacing Ray
3. Figuring out their 3B situation
4. Re-signing or replacing Matz
5. Rounding out the bullpen

There are other questions like who is the #5 SP and do they try to add a fulltime DH but I think that's the big stuff. Now, my preference for 1 and 2 would just be to re-sign Semien and Ray. 3B I feel like you can go cheap and try Espinal/Biggio for another year with the hopes that Groshans is ready soon or you can swing for the fences and try to land someone like Jose Ramirez by parting with more prospect depth. Matz I'm luke-warm on bringing back and think they could do better by trading Kirk somewhere for a #4.

Thoughts? Targets? Dream scenarios?

bustaheims:
Would definitely love to hang on to Ray and Semien, but I doubt the Jays can retain both. I can see Ray sticking around, but I think Semien is heading back out west.

Scherzer would be a great add, but a pipe dream. Verlander on a short contract could also be interesting, and slightly less unrealistic - though still extremely unlikely. Bryant, Escobar, Baez, and Seager would also be high on my list for rounding out the infield. Maybe someone like Rodon or Gray to replace Matz? There's lots of middle of rotation arms out there, and the Jays need to land at least one of them.

Nik:

--- Quote from: bustaheims on November 12, 2021, 02:26:05 PM ---Would definitely love to hang on to Ray and Semien, but I doubt the Jays can retain both. I can see Ray sticking around, but I think Semien is heading back out west.

--- End quote ---

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Semien. I think the crazy good free agent crop at SS means that he'll be a lot of teams 3rd or 4th choice behind guys like Seager, Correa and Story. So if he wants to get a deal done before the CBA is settled he may want to go with wherever he's the 1st choice which may be a fairly limited group of teams.

Ray I think just comes down to $$$ and who's willing to gamble on his year being more than a fluke.

Nik:

Vladdy Jr. is more than 4 years younger than the AL Rookie of the Year.

Deebo:
Ray wins the Cy Young, with 29/30 1st place votes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version