Just for Fun > Ok Blue Jays Talk

2021 Blue Jays General Discussion Thread

<< < (109/112) > >>

Arn:

--- Quote from: Nik on October 03, 2021, 09:02:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: bustaheims on October 03, 2021, 06:52:17 PM ---Bullpen definitely cost this team a playoff spot. Probably half a dozen games they could/should have won, but Dolis/Chatwood/etc., ended up blowing.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, but I bet the Yankees/Red Sox could say the same thing about games they could/should have won.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I don't think you can pick individual games at all. It's a 162 game season which kind of covers a lot of those oh so close games off. They should even out.

You can pick themes though - the bullpen being one. The signing of Yates as closer maybe another (or part of the same thing) etc.

But ultimately you had a season you wouldn't have expected from a bunch of guys most people didn't think were at 91 win stage yet.

You had 2 potential MVPs in Vlad Jr and Semien who had actual historically good seasons. You've had a Cy Young performance from a (almost but not really quite) reclamation starter you got on a cheap deal.

The expected ace in Ryu actually probably underperformed as well.

But what the core of the side has done is show management that they're there or there abouts, so it's time for management to back them I think.

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Nik on October 03, 2021, 09:02:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: bustaheims on October 03, 2021, 06:52:17 PM ---Bullpen definitely cost this team a playoff spot. Probably half a dozen games they could/should have won, but Dolis/Chatwood/etc., ended up blowing.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, but I bet the Yankees/Red Sox could say the same thing about games they could/should have won.

--- End quote ---

Sure, and that's a big part of why I don't want to single out individual games. Boston and New York didn't come in significantly below their expected W-L like the Jays did. The bullpen as a whole performed below the level of a playoff team for a big chunk of the season, and it cost the team a playoff spot.

Nik:

--- Quote from: bustaheims on October 04, 2021, 09:23:56 AM ---Sure, and that's a big part of why I don't want to single out individual games. Boston and New York didn't come in significantly below their expected W-L like the Jays did. The bullpen as a whole performed below the level of a playoff team for a big chunk of the season, and it cost the team a playoff spot.

--- End quote ---

Sure, but if you're one game out of a playoff spot then anything bad about your team more or less cost you a playoff spot. The Springer Injury, Ryu's bad year, not really solving things at 3rd base...

Likewise, if we look back at the actual home stretch it doesn't feel like it was their bullpen that cost them but a fairly inconsistent offense that, you know, put up 70 runs against the Orioles in 6 games and then struggled and sputtered against the Twins and Rays. To me that speaks to the wild run differential as much as a bad bullpen.

Frank E:
I concur with the suggestion at sportsnet.ca that these Jays players will have a pretty good understanding now of why those early/mid season games are pretty important to win in the AL East.

Nik:

Vladdy Jr. won the AL Hank Aaron Award as the league's best offensive player. Nice to see him add some more hardware from an incredible season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version