Just for Fun > Non-Hockey Chatter

Federal Election 2019

<< < (51/52) > >>

Highlander:
Pandemic aside, in 2017 Hurricane Irma hit the North East Caribbean hitting wind speed of 289 KPH, unheard of speed and power.  Next week Maria came through with speeds of 250Kph again a super storm.
I can tell you first hand, these storms ripped apart concrete buildings, destroying almost everything.
Had my business was wiped out for a full year and never fully recovered as Covid arrived.
So is global warming a concern of mine, damn right it is and with the forest fires we saw in BC this year. My biggest regret is the last car I bought was not even a hybrid but a gas car.  I wish I had at least gone hybrid.

Peter D.:
So Ford is scrapping licence plate renewal fees and stickers.  Sucks as we just renewed them being January babies, but at least it sounds like we'll get a rebate for that.

Which begs the questions -- what's the purpose of scrapping them besides it being an election ploy?  And conversely, what was the purpose of them in the first place outside of being a complete cash-grab revenue generator?

Dappleganger:

--- Quote from: Peter D. on February 22, 2022, 12:41:23 PM ---So Ford is scrapping licence plate renewal fees and stickers.  Sucks as we just renewed them being January babies, but at least it sounds like we'll get a rebate for that.

Which begs the questions -- what's the purpose of scrapping them besides it being an election ploy?  And conversely, what was the purpose of them in the first place outside of being a complete cash-grab revenue generator?

--- End quote ---

It's funny, the licence plate fee (tax?) I'm more ok with it as a government revenue generator. Don't want to pay it, Don't drive a car. A usage tax if you will.

herman:

--- Quote from: Peter D. on February 22, 2022, 12:41:23 PM ---what's the purpose of scrapping them besides it being an election ploy?  And conversely, what was the purpose of them in the first place outside of being a complete cash-grab revenue generator?

--- End quote ---

The license card and plate renewals (and by extension, the drive clean initiative) all drive revenues back into the government budget to spend on things like road repairs, infrastructure improvements. The Drive Clean initiative was also to help mitigate the harmful emissions that stem from poor car maintenance.

Aside from being an election ploy to attract voters with shortsighted/selfish 'gains', wiping $1B+ from the provincial government spending power means cuts to social safety nets and infrastructure retrofits, etc. People will pay more elsewhere, while Ford can help his private business buddies make more money filling in those gaps.

Dappleganger:

--- Quote from: herman on February 22, 2022, 12:59:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Peter D. on February 22, 2022, 12:41:23 PM ---what's the purpose of scrapping them besides it being an election ploy?  And conversely, what was the purpose of them in the first place outside of being a complete cash-grab revenue generator?

--- End quote ---

The license card and plate renewals (and by extension, the drive clean initiative) all drive revenues back into the government budget to spend on things like road repairs, infrastructure improvements. The Drive Clean initiative was also to help mitigate the harmful emissions that stem from poor car maintenance.

Aside from being an election ploy to attract voters with shortsighted/selfish 'gains', wiping $1B+ from the provincial government spending power means cuts to social safety nets and infrastructure retrofits, etc. People will pay more elsewhere, while Ford can help his private business buddies make more money filling in those gaps.

--- End quote ---

"We have to money to fund (whatever). We must privatize.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version