Maple Leafs News and Views > Leafs Rumours & Speculation

Armchair GM 2019-2020

<< < (4/76) > >>

Guilt Trip:
I'd say the only way to move Kadri would be if they felt Brooks, Engvall or someone else on the Marlies was ready. Not sure they do yet for a 3rd line role. I do agree with ZBBM and also think Kappy and Johnsson are top 6 talents and will only get better. Let's keep in mind that both just finished their 1st full NHL seasons and by all accounts did well. I see no reason for both not to keep progressing. Now instead of arguing about the top 6 thing, let's also keep in mind that not everyone who plays in the top 6 is a top 6 forward. Hyman has been in a top 6 position for 3 years now and not many witch about it. Both Kappy and Johnsson have better numbers then him and can do just as good a job defensively.
I don't mind Nylander as a centre but he can't play with a Brown and Marleau type wingers. Fact is, no one can other then McDavid. Nylander needs a shooter or two with him as he's the puck carrier.

cabber24:
Stressing about the offseason roster.

Worries:
How our D is shaping up
Losing Kappi/Johnsson
Having to trade a Nylander to make it all fit
No $ for July 1

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: herman on May 24, 2019, 10:28:10 AM ---That's a fair point; at a certain place in the build, you do need to make a push to try to get over the hump though.

Kapanen isn't going to stay cheap (breakaway goals) and I'd argue that his team contributions next year probably aren't going to outweigh adding a 1RD even if only for a year. I get that this is exactly what most people want to say about Nylander, but for me (and Dubas it seems) Nylander = elite and Kapanen = pretty good but mostly replaceable (hello Trevor Moore, Ilya Mikheyev).

--- End quote ---

I'm all for moving Kapanen - I think his decision making/instincts/hockey IQ/whatever you want to call it will keep him from being much more than what he already is, which is a good but not great 2nd line winger. He's not a player you absolutely need to hold on to, but, he's a valuable trade chip. So, I'm not on board with moving him for a short-term piece, like Spurgeon would be right now. If he's moved, it has to be for someone with more than one year left on his contract.

Bender:

--- Quote from: cabber24 on May 24, 2019, 01:07:08 PM ---Stressing about the offseason roster.

Worries:
How our D is shaping up
Losing Kappi/Johnsson
No $ for July 1

--- End quote ---

I think we're actually in decent shape and losing one of Johnsson or Kapanen isn't a big deal when we can get something back in trade. We have one year of pain next year and going forward we have a bunch of cap space and Sandin/Liljegren might be able to make the team in a year and a bit. I think we'll have a few more bits solved at that point, although you have to start wondering how long Freddy can be Freddy for, he's 30 this year.

Highlander:

--- Quote from: cabber24 on May 24, 2019, 01:07:08 PM ---Stressing about the offseason roster.

Worries:
How our D is shaping up
Losing Kappi/Johnsson
No $ for July 1

--- End quote ---

Positives
D is going to be fine, we have a lot of meat and potatoes on the farm. Just going to be young and very fast.
Won't lose either Kapi or Mango.
Not trading Nylander, however Brown and Kadri, Zaitzev may go and Gardiner is going.  Bridge deals for both Kapi and Mango (sounds like a new detective show).
A team without Cap problems not doing their job or competitive right now.

Somehow I hope that Dubas can fix the Marleau Conundrum (a hockey relativity problem that Einstein probably couldn't solve).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version