Just for Fun > Ok Blue Jays Talk

2019 Blue Jays General Discussion Thread

(1/72) > >>

Nik:

Well, that time of year and everything. Pitchers and Catchers reporting. Stroman upset about something.

Here's their Spring Training Schedule:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/tor

And to start things off with a medium hot take that allows me to criticize the current management instead of defending it: while I understand the strategic argument for doing it, I think the team is wrong with their plans for Vladdy Jr., the extra year of cheap baseball is not worth bumming out what already figures to be a depressed fan base.

Joe S.:
I don’t have a strong opinion on this one way or another, but isn’t something like the first 15 days he’ll have to spend in triple A and the jays get an extra year if control? That doesn’t seem like that much of a punishment to Vlad or the fans...

Am I missing something?

Andy:

--- Quote from: Joe S. on February 17, 2019, 09:41:17 PM ---I don’t have a strong opinion on this one way or another, but isn’t something like the first 15 days he’ll have to spend in triple A and the jays get an extra year if control? That doesn’t seem like that much of a punishment to Vlad or the fans...

Am I missing something?

--- End quote ---

It's actually 3 weeks but yea, essentially it's just how you put it. If he starts the season on the MLB roster then the Jays lose a year of control. It really makes no sense to give up that year for, what, an extra 3 weeks of Guerrero on a bad Jays team? Ultimately I'd argue that it's eventually a decision that works for the fans, not against them.

Nik:

Why would Jays fans be worried about a year of control when Rogers has said that they'll spend money on the team when the time is right? If the money is there to sign Vladdy when/if he demands big free agent money why do we care if it's 5 or 6 years from now?

hockeyfan1:
Leave it to Stroman to say a mouthful:

--- Quote ---”...I can tell you one thing, there’s no one that embodies or loves pitching for the city of Toronto or the country of Canada more than me, nor will you ever find them ... That’s raw passion, emotion, that’s real.”
--- End quote ---

Of course, of course.

--- Quote ---“I think it’s pretty sad that the game’s losing the ability to put these veteran presences in clubhouses because I don’t think that people understand how valuable having those guys in the game are. I would have never been the pitcher I am today if I didn’t have the likes of Mark Buehrle, LaTroy Hawkins, Casey Janssen, Josh Donaldson, Troy Tulowitzki, Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, Melky Cabrera ...”
--- End quote ---

Very true.

See Stroman’s views here:
https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2019/02/17/marcus-stroman-talks-about-bouncing-back-being-a-blue-jay-and-competing-in-boston-and-the-bronx.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version