Author Topic: Media Thread  (Read 47755 times)

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
Re: Media Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2014, 02:18:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Johnson become the everyday colour guy for the team. Good enough at it, actually provides some local flavour. Could do worse.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2014, 02:19:19 PM »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:30:56 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »
Just noticed Kevin Weekes and Andi Petrillo aren't on that list. That's really too bad. Picking P.J. Stock over Weekes is insane.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:43:25 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »
Only one woman on the entire team.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »

Three, but yeah certainly not a diverse bunch there.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »

I missed Simpson and Hextall.

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2014, 04:09:29 PM »
Stuck with Healy, stuck with Millen...  Stupid Sportsnet...

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2014, 05:07:36 PM »

I'm surprised that Tessa Bonhomme wasn't brought in.

Offline seahawk

• Site Contributor
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2014, 07:58:39 PM »

Unless I'm missing something, there's 2. Cassie at rinkside and Leah Hextall in studio. Either way Andi Petrillo should have been brought in.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »

Unless I'm missing something, there's 2. Cassie at rinkside and Leah Hextall in studio. Either way Andi Petrillo should have been brought in.

Christine Simpson rinkside as well.

Offline lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2014, 09:37:08 PM »
@mirtle 

Sportsnet announces hiring of Glenn Healy, Kelly Hrudey, Craig Simpson, Mike Johnson, Darren Pang, Cassie Campbell-Pascall and Leah Hextall.

OMFG. You win the internet today.  ;D
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »
Just noticed Kevin Weekes and Andi Petrillo aren't on that list. That's really too bad. Picking P.J. Stock over Weekes is insane.

1000x this. 

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2016, 06:22:27 AM »
The Montreal Gazette's reporter Jack Todd on why Toronto is a 'haled' sports town, and what led to this...

For years, with the two franchises in different conferences, people in Montreal were relatively indifferent to the Leafs. They spent most of their energy hating Boston, and there wasn’t much left for Toronto.

Around the turn of the millennium, I spent a lot of time covering the Leafs in the playoffs. The Canadiens were struggling and Pat Quinn’s Leafs were pretty good. I didn’t mind: the blunt-spoken Quinn always gave good quote and the team was good, if not great.

So what changed? Basically this: People in high places in the Toronto media world (especially Sportsnet, TSN and the CBC) decided to stuff all the Toronto teams down our throats while ignoring, attacking or disrespecting other pro teams right across the country.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/jack-todd-toronto-is-not-the-centre-of-canadas-sports-world
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:25:28 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2016, 07:04:10 AM »
The Montreal Gazette's reporter Jack Todd on why Toronto is a 'haled' sports town, and what led to this...

For years, with the two franchises in different conferences, people in Montreal were relatively indifferent to the Leafs. They spent most of their energy hating Boston, and there wasn’t much left for Toronto.

Around the turn of the millennium, I spent a lot of time covering the Leafs in the playoffs. The Canadiens were struggling and Pat Quinn’s Leafs were pretty good. I didn’t mind: the blunt-spoken Quinn always gave good quote and the team was good, if not great.

So what changed? Basically this: People in high places in the Toronto media world (especially Sportsnet, TSN and the CBC) decided to stuff all the Toronto teams down our throats while ignoring, attacking or disrespecting other pro teams right across the country.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/jack-todd-toronto-is-not-the-centre-of-canadas-sports-world

A guy in the comments section nailed it.

"Jim Hughson hates the Leafs - like, despises them. Craig Simpson hates them so much, he refused to have anything to do with them, as a player. Those two are employed for that very reason. Cherry went on an anti-JVR rant after the Emelin hit. The call on both hits was also remarkably biased in favor of the Canadiens. WIth the Martin hit, they claimed it was late by slowing the video down to 1/10th speed and then counting steamboats. In real time, it was less than a half second after the puck left his stick. With the Emelin hit, they wiped it aside as a non-issue, before Cherry ranted in favor of it. Not sure what you're talking about with any of these points. Most of what you wrote is just blatantly untrue. Maybe get your hearing checked or just take off the bleu, blanc et rouge blinders."

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2016, 07:27:40 AM »

I'm sorry but what is the point of posting that article? It has nothing to do with the Maple Leafs and is just a thinly updated sort of piece we used to read all the time about why the Leafs were always the National broadcast on Saturday nights even when they weren't very good. It's a cheap and transparent attempt to gin up outrage and clicks and I really think we should be savvier about these things than by pretending it's anything other than a wannabe hot take designed to rile people up.

That said, only slightly less ludicrous is the idea that the blandest sportscasters in the world are motivated by "hate" for any of the billion dollar entertainment conglomerates they cover. I especially like the idea that Craig Simpson's decision 30 years ago to not play for the Ballard-era Maple Leafs is being used not as evidence of remarkably good judgment on the part of a teenager but instead is proof of his lifelong vendetta towards an organization that's changed ownership/stadium/uniforms umpteen times since then.

Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle