Author Topic: Leafs @ Oilers - Jan. 30th, 7:00pm - SN, Fan 590  (Read 2418 times)

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ Oilers - Jan. 30th, 7:00pm - SN, Fan 590
« Reply #195 on: January 31, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »
I really don't understand Keefe always starting Tavares in 3 on 3, especially when he is forced to keep up to McDavid on that much open ice.

The Leafs did have the first real chance in the OT. If Nylander scored, would you commend Keefe for starting Tavares and Nylander?
But they didn't score. When I saw them line up for OT, I thought, this game's over because of JT's foot speed and Nylander's not that good defensively. Turned out to be true in the end. Against anyone other then the best duo in the league it wouldn't be an issue who he started, not that this really is. I bet if it happens again it will be Matthews against McD.
Leafs got 7 out of 8 so great road trip regardless of losing the point. We'll take that all year. Leafs are going to get a much deserved break.

That hindsight really is a wonderful tool

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2021, 12:07:08 PM »
Go watch the highlights. The puck was at the blueline and so was Nylander and an Oiler, so no he was actually in a better spot then a guy coming off the bench seeing he was right beside the guy.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2021, 12:25:10 PM »
I really don't understand Keefe always starting Tavares in 3 on 3, especially when he is forced to keep up to McDavid on that much open ice.

I don't know, that's an easy decision to criticize in hindsight. Could have just as easily been the Leafs survived that first shift and then Matthews and Marner went out against whatever crap Edmonton put out next and they scored. Or if Matthews and Marner did go out and spent their entire shift defending then you could say their offensive talents were wasted. I don't really hate the decision. It's not as if Keefe did the equivalent of sending out Komarov and Hainsey.

In general I think he needs to shelter Tavares in 3 on 3 situations against the speedier players.
Didn't Tavares score our last OT winner?
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2021, 12:34:33 PM »
Who is doing the colour tonight?

I think Adidas designed those.  :)
Mega corps running out of idea's. Worst Leaf gear of all time. What about seeing the numbers and figuring out who the Frig is playing?
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 31, 2021, 01:00:58 PM »
Go watch the highlights. The puck was at the blueline and so was Nylander and an Oiler, so no he was actually in a better spot then a guy coming off the bench seeing he was right beside the guy.

That's a lovely pic. Go back a second when Nylander's guy as you listed, had the puck. No threat, he's got his guy covered all good. Nylander's guy passes it to McD and then takes off while Nylander goes to the bench instead of skating with his man who he was actually ahead of.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 31, 2021, 01:18:04 PM »

But Matthews is further ahead of the guy and not at the end of a shift.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 31, 2021, 01:38:10 PM »

But Matthews is further ahead of the guy and not at the end of a shift.
Matthews wasn't on the ice. Funny how everyone else could skate, at the end of their shift, but Willy couldn't.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2021, 01:53:42 PM »

Are we looking at the same picture? Matthews' feet are like six inches above the ice.

And it's not about whether or not Nylander could skate, it's that letting a fresh guy in a better position on the ice is a better play.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline .

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2021, 02:16:34 PM »
I'll solve this - you're both wrong (and right).

1) Matthews is stationary on the bench. Willy is already skating towards it. Just because Matthews might a couple feet closer to the play doesn't mean he could accelerate to make up the speed difference of Willy committing to a backcheck instead of the bench.

2) There was no issue with a shift change. Ultimately, I see a common theme where no matter how good or flukey a goal against, there's a witchhunt to assign blame, sometimes taken to pretty extreme levels. In this case, the best player in the world and one of the top 5 players in the world made a pass and tip out of mid air. Good for them. Leafs were lucky to get a point.

there, solved. now hug.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 31, 2021, 02:31:45 PM »

1) Matthews is stationary on the bench. Willy is already skating towards it. Just because Matthews might a couple feet closer to the play doesn't mean he could accelerate to make up the speed difference of Willy committing to a backcheck instead of the bench.

But there are two considerations for a player like Nylander in that situation. One is who is better suited to defend the ongoing play. I think that's Matthews in this case, you're free to think otherwise but I think you'd grant that at the very least it's close.

The second consideration though is who is better suited to be on the ice after whatever might happen on that one rush and the answer there is unquestionably a fresh Matthews instead of a tired Nylander.

Like you say, the goal rendered it moot and there's no real reason to assign blame but for me, in that situation, I'd want the defensive player to make the change.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 31, 2021, 04:12:31 PM »

But there are two considerations for a player like Nylander in that situation. One is who is better suited to defend the ongoing play. I think that's Matthews in this case, you're free to think otherwise but I think you'd grant that at the very least it's close.

The second consideration though is who is better suited to be on the ice after whatever might happen on that one rush and the answer there is unquestionably a fresh Matthews instead of a tired Nylander.

Like you say, the goal rendered it moot and there's no real reason to assign blame but for me, in that situation, I'd want the defensive player to make the change.

People are acting like scoring chances in 3 on 3 overtime is new. It's how it works when you're playing 3 on 3. Toronto had an odd man rush/scoring opportunity in one direction. Guess what that means, the Leafs defensively are out numbered. Hence the 2 on 1. Hence the goal by McDavid.
How that's suddenly Nylander's fault is a little confusing to me.

Offline Chris

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2021, 05:15:29 PM »
In real time I thought Nylander went for a bad change. After watching the replays, though, it's less clear. The bigger problem was Tavares letting McDavid blow by him at center ice creating the 2 on 1 which Barrie then turned into a 3 on 1 by outskating Matthews. Would a tired Nylander have had a better chance of keeping up with Barrie there? Maybe (if he was motivated), maybe not.

Holl probably should have laid out to block the pass, that might have disrupted things long enough to let Tavares or Matthews get back to help out.

Offline berserker

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2021, 05:51:54 PM »
Holy to argue stupid 3 on 3 .   It is pure pond hockey.  Bad change ???
How do you know maybe Nylander had instructions to make a quick change. The coaching
staff may have wanted a quick change.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 01, 2021, 01:10:26 PM »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 01:17:58 PM by herman »
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed