Author Topic: Qualifier Game 5: Blue Jackets @ Leafs - Aug. 9th, 8:00pm - SN, TSN 1050  (Read 7004 times)

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
So basically a playoff team is one that cheats consistently enough that it's normalized.

Nah.

I think Keefe should have sent Clifford out there with Marner and Matthews in the third and told him to create havoc in front of Korpisalo.

They played on the perimeter when it clearly wasn't working.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I must have been watching a different game. I'm very confused by the "Nylander was invisible" comments. I'm not saying he had his best game or anything, but I thought he was flying out there.

With zero hesitation, Marner would be the one I'd trade over Nylander. I'm not advocating for either being traded though.

He certainly wasn't all that great in game 5 but overall I thought Nylander was quite good. I saw some tenacious backchecks, he had two front of the net goals, four points and threaded multiple nifty passes/setups all series. Meanwhile Marner was dishing out more turnovers than Betty Crocker! I really can't fathom why the softer, less dangerous player with the extra $4million per price tag should be the one escaping more criticism.

Online louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Diamond Weapon
So basically a playoff team is one that cheats consistently enough that it's normalized.

Nah.

I think Keefe should have sent Clifford out there with Marner and Matthews in the third and told him to create havoc in front of Korpisalo.

I think that was the one element they were missing - not Clifford per say, but a Patrick Hornqvist type.  Someone with hands and can play, but is willing to muck it up in front of the net.

The problem is, those types of players are hard to come by and highly coveted.  And for every Patrick Hornqvist, there's a few Lucic/Clarkson/Malone-types whose bodies break down as they get older and become a cap anchor.  You've got to either draft 'em, or get them somehow before their prime.

Offline berserker

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
I must have been watching a different game. I'm very confused by the "Nylander was invisible" comments. I'm not saying he had his best game or anything, but I thought he was flying out there.

With zero hesitation, Marner would be the one I'd trade over Nylander. I'm not advocating for either being traded though.

He certainly wasn't all that great in game 5 but overall I thought Nylander was quite good. I saw some tenacious backchecks, he had two front of the net goals, four points and threaded multiple nifty passes/setups all series. Meanwhile Marner was dishing out more turnovers than Betty Crocker! I really can't fathom why the softer, less dangerous player with the extra $4million per price tag should be the one escaping more criticism.
Totally agree

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Nah.

Now that was something that I was thinking too, even at the start of the series: Clifford on Matthews' or Tavares' wing crashing the net, causing a distraction, bowling a few people over. I think that kind of play really would have complimented those lines. Maybe it was a result of his play, but I do feel that Clifford was improperly utilized since his acquisition.

Offline berserker

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Yes they need a power forward.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Kasperi Kapanen for Josh Anderson anyone? 

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile

I smell Clarkson on him.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile

I smell Clarkson on him.

Same agent as Marner :)
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile

Nah.

I think that was the one element they were missing - not Clifford per say, but a Patrick Hornqvist type.  Someone with hands and can play, but is willing to muck it up in front of the net.

The problem is, those types of players are hard to come by and highly coveted.  And for every Patrick Hornqvist, there's a few Lucic/Clarkson/Malone-types whose bodies break down as they get older and become a cap anchor.  You've got to either draft 'em, or get them somehow before their prime.

That would be Hyman, as in Good Hyman not Boaty McBoatface Hyman.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile

I smell Clarkson on him.

I think the advanced numbers track better with Anderson though. He's only 26, nearly scored 30 with an average shooting %/moderate PP time and, more importantly, doesn't skate directly in a straight line, put on the brakes, and wildly scramble to issue a low percentage pass 100% of the time.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile

I smell Clarkson on him.

Same agent as Marner :)

But unlike Marner, isn't Anderson a good ole local boy who surely would sign a hometown discount with his boyhood dream team?  ;)

Stebro

The leafs should listen to offers for Marner imo. That contract was a bigger mistake than Nylander's in my opinion. It will be easier to trade Nylander though. The leafs are not one or two d-men away from being a contender, we have bigger issues than that. Most leafs don't have a winner mentality. I'd keep Matthews, Hyman and Muzzin, I honestly don't care if they trade someone else. The leafs need forwards who can play different type of games. Marner, Nylander etc are close to useless if they get shut down, then they just quit. That's why Hyman is so useful. The leafs should target two wingers with a more complete game and preferably with more experience.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
Hey Stebro,  I was just thinking of you. How are things in Sweden, your country may be the model for how to handle Covid?  What is your current thinking, you can post back on Coronavirus thread if you wish.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Chris

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
The leafs should listen to offers for Marner imo. That contract was a bigger mistake than Nylander's in my opinion. It will be easier to trade Nylander though. The leafs are not one or two d-men away from being a contender, we have bigger issues than that. Most leafs don't have a winner mentality. I'd keep Matthews, Hyman and Muzzin, I honestly don't care if they trade someone else. The leafs need forwards who can play different type of games. Marner, Nylander etc are close to useless if they get shut down, then they just quit. That's why Hyman is so useful. The leafs should target two wingers with a more complete game and preferably with more experience.

I go back and forth comparing Marner and Nylander.

Marner is a good PK (and not a bad goalie either). Both he and Nylander are similar in their abilities to carry the puck for zone entries (Nylander is better I think). Neither are particularly physical though Marner seems to use the body slightly more. Nylander is much more of a goal scorer, much better shot. He tends to look like he's floating at times especially in the dzone, and is prone to stick-waving fly-bys when "forechecking."

Marner sometimes looks absolutely amazing like he has the puck on a string, often makes passes that you think aren't possible. But also often throws the puck right to the other team.

When you boil it all down, I can't convince myself that Marner is worth the extra $4 million in cap hit so I'd be open to moving him. But if you can get a much better deal for Nylander (because of the cap hit) I could see sticking with Marner.

Win the lottery and I'm definitely looking to move one of them.