Author Topic: Qualifier Game 5: Blue Jackets @ Leafs - Aug. 9th, 8:00pm - SN, TSN 1050  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Tough. Andersen gets outplayed in an elimination game for the fourth playoffs in a row (I guess this doesn't even count as playoffs?), after a pretty rotten year.

Marner and Tavares not earning their pay cheques.

Keefe with some really, really strange decisions tonight. They never looked in sync, even though they have all the star power.

The beat goes on.
I think Keefe noticed shit wasn't going so he really mixed it up. I don't agree with your JT assessment. Next to Matthews he was our best forward. Again huge disappointment with Marner and Nylander, who I think will be gone. Freddie did enough for then to win. They got shutout twice. No depth scoring killed them. Robertson was the only player not in the top 6 to score a goal. That's not good enough.

JT was fine tonight but most of the series (and season) looked relatively ordinary, which isn't good enough given how much he's paid and the amount of skill around him. He was never fast but he seemed to lose a step this year and wasn't as strong on the puck as he has been. I'm hoping it's more of an off-year thing than a past-his-prime thing.

Nylander is a little hot and cold but had a pretty great year overall. He just needs to be used correctly. Playing him on the second line with two offensive black holes in Hyman and Kapanen is maybe not the best use of his skillset.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
Tough. Andersen gets outplayed in an elimination game for the fourth playoffs in a row (I guess this doesn't even count as playoffs?), after a pretty rotten year.

Keefe with some really, really strange decisions tonight. They never looked in sync, even though they have all the star power.

The beat goes on.
I think Keefe noticed shit wasn't going so he really mixed it up. I don't agree with your JT assessment. Next to Matthews he was our best forward. Again huge disappointment with Marner and Nylander, who I think will be gone. Freddie did enough for then to win. They got shutout twice. No depth scoring killed them. Robertson was the only player not in the top 6 to score a goal. That's not good enough.

JT was fine tonight but most of the series (and season) looked relatively ordinary, which isn't good enough given how much he's paid and the amount of skill around him. He was never fast but he seemed to lose a step this year and wasn't as strong on the puck as he has been. I'm hoping it's more of an off-year thing than a past-his-prime thing.

Nylander is a little hot and cold but had a pretty great year overall. He just needs to be used correctly. Playing him on the second line with two offensive black holes in Hyman and Kapanen is maybe not the best use of his skillset.
Willy def had a great year but even when he payed with JT and Matthews he didn't look great. I don't think Dubas trades Nylander because of disappointment, I see trading him because they need help with the Cap and on the backend. Should be an interesting off season.

Offline Bill_Berg_is_sad

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Well time to focus on the next sport, the NFL, where my favorite team surely won't let down, the Cleveland Browns.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Well, that's a bummer. But, personally, I wouldn't take too much away from it. This whole thing has been so damned weird that making solid conclusions about this team and its future based on these five games strikes me as moves for the sake of it rather than a thought through approach.

That's not to say changes don't need to be made but the playoffs are inherently a crapshoot in the best of circumstances and this was not that.

Very true, all.  Also I'll say again, Columbus won this series by playing their game to perfection tonight — again.

I won't be watching but it'll be interesting to see how TBL does this time round.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile

The beat goes on.

Willy def had a great year but even when he payed with JT and Matthews he didn't look great. I don't think Dubas trades Nylander because of disappointment, I see trading him because they need help with the Cap and on the backend. Should be an interesting off season.

Nylander had a fine year and while tonight he looks discombobulated I really don't get Keefe starting him at C in an elimination game.

That said, I think he could well be traded.  They have to change things up and he's the most tradeable.

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I see a number of comments about physicality not being the issue. Maybe you're right. As I said, the Leafs had a lot of good chances and their goalie(s) was (were) up to the task for the most part.

When I watch these games I get the feeling that the Leafs as a team, aren't tenacious enough. There are so many wasted offensive attempts where puck are dumped in and essentially given away. A lot of the time there doesn't seem to be a forechecker in quickly enough, or when there is there is no support from another forward. And many times the Leaf forwards lose those puck battles when they do occur. Even Hyman who is usually money in the corner, seemed largely ineffective this series. Some credit has to be given to Columbus. The question I have is, how much blame needs to go to the Leaf players and how much to coaching? Is it time to make a big change and trade Nylander or Marner? Can they get back what they really need if they do that, or are they better off just rolling the dice again and hoping for a better outcome? Few of those shots go in off the post and this is a very different outcome.

I don't know, something just seems to be lacking and I'm not exactly sure how to fix it while we have the core players intact.

Nylander and Kapanen have the most trade value I would expect. 

Marner was paid a ludicrous $16 MIL this season and $15 MIL next season with over $14 MIL of that as a signing bonus.  The season after that he ONLY makes $10.4 MIL so after the $9.6 MIL signing bonus is paid he could probably be moved.
All The Best
Dan

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I see a number of comments about physicality not being the issue. Maybe you're right. As I said, the Leafs had a lot of good chances and their goalie(s) was (were) up to the task for the most part.

When I watch these games I get the feeling that the Leafs as a team, aren't tenacious enough. There are so many wasted offensive attempts where puck are dumped in and essentially given away. A lot of the time there doesn't seem to be a forechecker in quickly enough, or when there is there is no support from another forward. And many times the Leaf forwards lose those puck battles when they do occur. Even Hyman who is usually money in the corner, seemed largely ineffective this series. Some credit has to be given to Columbus. The question I have is, how much blame needs to go to the Leaf players and how much to coaching? Is it time to make a big change and trade Nylander or Marner? Can they get back what they really need if they do that, or are they better off just rolling the dice again and hoping for a better outcome? Few of those shots go in off the post and this is a very different outcome.

I don't know, something just seems to be lacking and I'm not exactly sure how to fix it while we have the core players intact.

Nylander and Kapanen have the most trade value I would expect. 

Marner was paid a ludicrous $16 MIL this season and $15 MIL next season with over $14 MIL of that as a signing bonus.  The season after that he ONLY makes $10.4 MIL so after the $9.6 MIL signing bonus is paid he could probably be moved.

Nevermind...I see that the bonuses have already been paid for next season on July 1st.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/07/01/nhl-player-signing-bonuses-to-reportedly-be-paid-on-schedule/

"...That’s good news for the likes of Auston Matthews ($15.2M), Mitch Marner ($14.3M), Connor McDavid ($13M), Artemi Panarin ($12M), Roman Josi ($11M), and Erik Karlsson ($10M) (per CapFriendly), among many others. Not so fun news for the Maple Leafs, who will be shelling out nearly $60M in bonus money...."

Marner should be tradeable if people are actually serious about it...
All The Best
Dan

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
I don't see them trading Marner. Kappy, Johnnson or Willy are more likely. Outside chance of Kerfoot. Not expecting a major overhaul but we'll see what Dubas does. Things could change quickly if the Leafs get the 1at overall.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile

lol
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Chris

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
I don't see them trading Marner. Kappy, Johnnson or Willy are more likely. Outside chance of Kerfoot. Not expecting a major overhaul but we'll see what Dubas does. Things could change quickly if the Leafs get the 1at overall.
Winning the lottery will give them many options. You basically are subbing in Robertson and Lafreniere (I assume he's NHL ready) on ELCs. That allows you to move out 1 or 2 big contracts and move those $ to where it's really needed, the defense. Whether there is a trade that makes sense is another matter.

Or you go with a completely loaded offense for another year (this years team plus the 2 mentioned players) and roll the dice with Sandin and Lily or one of the other internal options to replace Barrie and Ceci. Then evaluate and make the big move next year.

The other issue coming down the road is Andersen's contract which has 1 more year. Someone will have to be brought in since there doesn't appear to be anyone in the system to take on that role.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I think we can hop up and down all we want about who didn't show up to play but the bottom line is, the Leafs should of been up by a couple going into the 2nd. And probably up at least 3-0 by the end of the 2nd period. The leafs ran into hot goaltending the entire series.
Were they all firing at full capacity? No. Not even close. But if Korpisalo is even a little human in game 1 and game 5, this series goes the other way.

Tavares and Matthews were the best two forwards. As they should be. Marner can tend to be too cute, but that's always been his M.O. It's also what makes him so fun to watch.
Nylander was invisible. Even when they gave him his own line, he was invisible.

As for Andersen, I'm not sure what else we can ask of the guy. We can get excited about that 2nd goal against last night(it was awful), but where were the rest of the group. You can actually see Andersen look out and shake his head when the Columbus player shakes his head. How do 4 players go for a line change together with no idea where the puck is or who has it?

Offline BrownRolo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
You guys this kind of just hit me. Hockey's kind of a stupid sport. It depends WAY TOO MUCH on luck. You look at those BJ goals and it's just throw it at the net and maybe we get lucky and it sneaks in. So often in hockey the less skilled team wins. Why? Because it's a crap shoot of pucks bouncing off people, sticks, skates.

Oh yeah also the Leafs never get powerplays. That would be a way to make sure skill wins. When the less talented team is constantly hacking, slashing, holding but the refs are never willing to call it.

On a whole I've become a little disillusioned with the sport.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
You guys this kind of just hit me. Hockey's kind of a stupid sport. It depends WAY TOO MUCH on luck. You look at those BJ goals and it's just throw it at the net and maybe we get lucky and it sneaks in. So often in hockey the less skilled team wins. Why? Because it's a crap shoot of pucks bouncing off people, sticks, skates.

Oh yeah also the Leafs never get powerplays. That would be a way to make sure skill wins. When the less talented team is constantly hacking, slashing, holding but the refs are never willing to call it.

On a whole I've become a little disillusioned with the sport.

Yuup.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
I must have been watching a different game. I'm very confused by the "Nylander was invisible" comments. I'm not saying he had his best game or anything, but I thought he was flying out there.

With zero hesitation, Marner would be the one I'd trade over Nylander. I'm not advocating for either being traded though.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Marner should be tradeable if people are actually serious about it...

I don't really expect Marner to be traded, but the impact of this years signing bonus already being paid could be pretty huge. He got a $14.3mil payment on July 1st. That would mean almost half of the value of his contract has already been paid for ($30.3mil of $65.385mil).

So any team that acquires him would only have to pay him $700k for this upcoming season and about an average of $8.5mil for the 4 seasons after that.

The AAV, especially during this extended period of a flat cap, is obviously still high.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:29:19 AM by CarltonTheBear »