Author Topic: 2020-2021 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 62534 times)

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
Re: 2020-2021 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #1395 on: February 25, 2021, 08:16:24 AM »
Well I certainly touched on something here.

Like I said, I'm not excusing him of anytihng.
You asked why there's scrutiny around Babcock being hired by a university and your position was "can't we move on?" And I think there's plenty of better arguments as to why he might not be the best pick for young, developing players and that he hasn't apologized and is even defiant for well documented transgressions (Franzen, Commodore, Marner, Holl etc.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:18:04 AM by Bender »
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: February 25, 2021, 11:38:10 AM »
Well I certainly touched on something here.

Like I said, I'm not excusing him of anytihng.
You asked why there's scrutiny around Babcock being hired by a university and your position was "can't we move on?" And I think there's plenty of better arguments as to why he might not be the best pick for young, developing players and that he hasn't apologized and is even defiant for well documented transgressions (Franzen, Commodore, Marner, Holl etc.)

I get it. He's an idiot. Perhaps I just tire of talking about idiots sooner than the average Joe. There's arseholes hired every day and some of them are in positions they shouldn't be.

And when I say just move on, I think he's an okay guy that was great with young players. I mean, I'm pretty tired of hearing about this pompous a$$. If Saskatchewan wants to hire him, that's on them. I guess I'm cold for not giving a crap if they do.

Note: I did not realize he started this "redemption tour"...and if that's the case, I just wish the tour would die quickly.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: February 25, 2021, 12:56:36 PM »
And when I say just move on, I think he's an okay guy that was great with young players.
You're entitled to think what you want but when NHLers come out and say he's a horrible human being, that doesn't say to me he's an okay guy.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: February 26, 2021, 01:11:34 PM »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: February 26, 2021, 01:22:31 PM »
I wonder if Matthews' absence is more cautionary than anything else. Keep him out of practice as to not put unnecessary strain on his wrist, but he's still good to go for the game, and such. Hopefully.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: February 26, 2021, 01:25:17 PM »
I wonder if Matthews' absence is more cautionary than anything else. Keep him out of practice as to not put unnecessary strain on his wrist, but he's still good to go for the game, and such. Hopefully.

Tavares taking his spot makes me think he's probably gonna miss at least a game, but we'll see. If they were confident he'd be playing tomorrow I think they would have gone with a placeholder there instead.

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: February 26, 2021, 01:27:00 PM »

Yesterday Dreger suggested that he might miss practice today but play Saturday:

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 26, 2021, 01:50:13 PM »
Vesey falls, this time, off the line up
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 26, 2021, 01:52:27 PM »
Vesey falls, this time, off the line up
He needs to have a seat.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 26, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
Lines at practice today...I hope they give Barabanov a shot there. He def looked a lt more comfortable the last 2 games. I expect Matthews to play tomorrow night.

Thornton JT Marner
Barabanov Kerfoot Nylander
Mikheyev Engvall Hyman
Petan Boyd Spezza

Rielly Brodie
Muzz Holl
Dermott Bogo

Campbell
Hutch

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: February 26, 2021, 02:12:10 PM »
Promising...

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: February 26, 2021, 02:43:22 PM »
Make full coverage mandatory, be it cage or visor/cage combo, and get rid of the silly 4-min penalty for a highstick that bleeds.
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: February 26, 2021, 03:01:58 PM »
Make full coverage mandatory, be it cage or visor/cage combo, and get rid of the silly 4-min penalty for a highstick that bleeds.

I really don't get what the beef is with the double minor rule. Like, if it's just that it means that the difference between 2 and 4 is fairly arbitrary and down to chance then, sure, but most high sticks are unintentional and the difference between them hitting a guy and being a penalty at all is likewise fairly arbitrary and down to chance. All it does is just, hopefully, provide added disincentive to be careless with your stick.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 26, 2021, 03:15:30 PM »

I really don't get what the beef is with the double minor rule. Like, if it's just that it means that the difference between 2 and 4 is fairly arbitrary and down to chance then, sure, but most high sticks are unintentional and the difference between them hitting a guy and being a penalty at all is likewise fairly arbitrary and down to chance. All it does is just, hopefully, provide added disincentive to be careless with your stick.

I think you picked the right wording here: hope is not a plan to protect player health and safety. Pretty much every other hockey and stick+ball league has gone with the route to eliminate grievous facial injuries by implementing full protective coverage. Trying to disincentivize with an extra minor for accidentally making someone bleed is arbitrary as you say, and clearly ineffectual (especially if a followthrough high stick is for some reason A-OK).

Go full coverage, and no one has to lose their career to a freak stick to eye mishap, and the league gets to have more players drawing fans/eyeballs to games, especially when the risk is so easily mitigated. If people think this will give players license to start whacking faces, then refs are still well within their duty to call a slash, or intent to injure.

Side benefit: bye bye fighting.
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: February 26, 2021, 03:28:44 PM »
I think you picked the right wording here: hope is not a plan to protect player health and safety. Pretty much every other hockey and stick+ball league has gone with the route to eliminate grievous facial injuries by implementing full protective coverage. Trying to disincentivize with an extra minor for accidentally making someone bleed is arbitrary as you say, and clearly ineffectual (especially if a followthrough high stick is for some reason A-OK).

Well, full shielding seems like a separate issue that I'm slightly more ambivalent about as I think that's a risk players can decide for themselves if they want to take.

I'm really just talking about the high stick rule as it exists and, sure, basing an extra two minutes on blood is fairly arbitrary(although as I said, so is the difference between infraction and not) I think having it there is better as a disincentive than not having it there if you're not going to replace it with something harsher like 4 minutes regardless of blood or a major. Given that the shielding thing is unlikely it just always seems like the people with the issue with the blood rule are arguing for a lesser penalty for high sticking which I don't get at all. 
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle