Author Topic: Federal Election 2019  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
Re: Federal Election 2019
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2020, 09:22:06 AM »

He seems just like another example of the Conservatives thinking that the problem isn't that their policies are unpopular but that their policies just need a different packaging. I get why they prefer someone brash and loud to take on Trudeau after Scheer's failure and Mackay seeming like old, bland news but I still don't see a fresh take on actual policy or engaging people's actual problems with modern conservatism. If anything "Take Canada Back" seems like textbook modern Conservatism's obsession with casting some citizens as "real Canadians" and others as somehow being imposters or interlopers.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline berserker

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2020, 09:28:34 AM »
Yeah, I really want to put this country's economic recovery in the hands of a party who can't figure out how to have a leadership vote.
And I think everything is great we got an actor /
Drama teacher as a PM and now a journalist running the countries finances. In the real word these people would be fired under code of conduct . And everyone involved with WE should be facing embezzlement charges.
People wake up they stole our money

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2020, 09:29:06 AM »
Hmm, a party and leader that preaches against privilege while seemingly immune from the same ethical standards, vs a party that's internally unaligned and incompetent.

Kang or Kodos indeed.

There's always throwing your vote away on the NDP.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2020, 09:31:47 AM »
Drama teacher as a PM and now a journalist running the countries finances. In the real word these people would be fired under code of conduct . And everyone involved with WE should be facing embezzlement charges.

I've never voted for the Liberals in my life.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline berserker

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2020, 09:36:18 AM »
Atta boy Nik

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2020, 11:31:23 AM »

Even so that's not much of a defense for Chrystia Freeland, who is more than a journalist. Same kind of populist nonsense that people try to pin on AOC for being "just a bartender" instead of being a university graduate of International Relations & Economics.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2020, 11:33:11 AM »

He seems just like another example of the Conservatives thinking that the problem isn't that their policies are unpopular but that their policies just need a different packaging. I get why they prefer someone brash and loud to take on Trudeau after Scheer's failure and Mackay seeming like old, bland news but I still don't see a fresh take on actual policy or engaging people's actual problems with modern conservatism. If anything "Take Canada Back" seems like textbook modern Conservatism's obsession with casting some citizens as "real Canadians" and others as somehow being imposters or interlopers.

I'm not against voting conservative hypothetically, and I have voted for every major party in the past, but I'm tired of the "take back" "MAGA" "Decades to get back" etc. etc. populist scare mongering. It's ridiculous.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2020, 11:46:48 AM »
Even so that's not much of a defense for Chrystia Freeland, who is more than a journalist. Same kind of populist nonsense that people try to pin on AOC for being "just a bartender" instead of being a university graduate of International Relations & Economics.

The attacks on Freeland are especially interesting since they're happening at a time when Ford has on numerous occasions talked about how great she is. He's even been pretty friendly with Trudeau during the whole pandemic. Obviously there's political reasons for him wanting to not attack the Feds when the province will need their assistance but I wonder if that language changes the closer we get to a potential election.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2020, 11:51:42 AM »
I'm not against voting conservative hypothetically, and I have voted for every major party in the past, but I'm tired of the "take back" "MAGA" "Decades to get back" etc. etc. populist scare mongering. It's ridiculous.

Well, yeah, I don't like it either but like I'm saying it's the result of not wanting to run on the principles they have an an unwillingness to mitigate their principles to better adapt to the political landscape. Trying to whip up that sort of resentment and division is a play from a last resort playbook and it's a pretty good sign of people willing to put personal power and agendas over a common good.
- Sean Doolittle

Online L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2020, 11:54:07 AM »

Yeah, the "he's just a drama teacher stuff" strikes me as pretty soft attacks.  What make a good politician?

A lawyer? An accountant?  Should every Minister of Health be a Nurse or Physician?

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2020, 12:00:25 PM »

Yeah, but I wouldn't get hung up on the specifics there. Obama, when he got the nomination, had been a professor of Constitutional law and been elected to both state and federal legislatures and they still denigrated his professional capabilities. Modern Conservatism was even ok with taking shots at John McCain for not being, I guess, a good enough soldier.

Everything short of business experience will be presented as unfit for office because a lot of people on the right really think it's the only pertinent experience for heading a government.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2020, 12:07:18 PM »

Yeah, but I wouldn't get hung up on the specifics there. Obama, when he got the nomination, had been a professor of Constitutional law and been elected to both state and federal legislatures and they still denigrated his professional capabilities. Modern Conservatism was even ok with taking shots at John McCain for not being, I guess, a good enough soldier.

Everything short of business experience will be presented as unfit for office because a lot of people on the right really think it's the only pertinent experience for heading a government.

And as we've seen business experience can go either way. People make it seem like private businesses are always upstanding, which is far, far, from the case.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2020, 12:12:29 PM »

I find it interesting that they seem to be doubling down on their not super successful message from the 2018 election. Sure, they gained a number of seats, but, with the backlash against the Liberals, that was essential a sure thing. They didn't show a significant gain in terms of the popular vote (about 2.5% - enough to push them ahead of the Liberals, but just barely) in an election where, if they had a platform or leader with a wider appeal, they could have won the most seats.

Maybe O'Toole's personality will help push the CPC ahead enough, because it certainly doesn't feel like their policies will see much change under his leadership. MacKay may have been bland and boring, but, at the very least, he would have tried to steer the party back towards the middle.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2020, 12:17:49 PM »

I find it interesting that they seem to be doubling down on their not super successful message from the 2018 election. Sure, they gained a number of seats, but, with the backlash against the Liberals, that was essential a sure thing. They didn't show a significant gain in terms of the popular vote (about 2.5% - enough to push them ahead of the Liberals, but just barely) in an election where, if they had a platform or leader with a wider appeal, they could have won the most seats.

Maybe O'Toole's personality will help push the CPC ahead enough, because it certainly doesn't feel like their policies will see much change under his leadership. MacKay may have been bland and boring, but, at the very least, he would have tried to steer the party back towards the middle.

My hunch is that because politics tend to sort of gravitate towards change anyway that there's probably a contingent that says that who the CPC leader is won't be what beats the Liberals, it'll be the Liberals who eventually beat the Liberals and when that inevitably happens the Conservatives want their purest ideologue in place to take advantage of that. Ultimately I think that's what happened with Harper.
- Sean Doolittle

Online OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2020, 12:37:04 PM »

Don't pretend the scare mongering doesn't go both ways.