Chicago acquiring Marc Andre Fleury

Started by CarltonTheBear, July 27, 2021, 11:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarltonTheBear

•  

bustaheims

That's....ummm....okay.

Just a really long, drawn out swap of Lehner for Fleury, delayed over the course of multiple seasons?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
  •  

CarltonTheBear

•  

bustaheims

Giving away the reigning Vezina winner for basically nothing is a choice, that's for sure
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
  •  

azzurri63

Teams making moves to better themselves and we sit idle. Good job Kyle.
  •  

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed
  •  

bustaheims

Part of me wonders if Chicago did this with the expectation that Fleury retires, and there's a handshake agreement in place that the Hawks will get a favourable deal from Vegas in the future. Otherwise, taking up most of their available non-LTIR cap space is a curious choice.
  •  

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: bustaheims on July 27, 2021, 11:53:56 AM
Part of me wonders if Chicago did this with the expectation that Fleury retires, and there's a handshake agreement in place that the Hawks will get a favourable deal from Vegas in the future. Otherwise, taking up most of their available non-LTIR cap space is a curious choice.

I think they would have had a conditional pick here based off Fleury playing a single game or something like that if that was the case.
  •  

Guilt Trip

This could go sideways quickly and if he did retire, would Vegas be on the hook for recapture seeing he won't play a game in Chicago?
  •  

bustaheims

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 27, 2021, 11:56:08 AM
I think they would have had a conditional pick here based off Fleury playing a single game or something like that if that was the case.

Maybe, but a minor league player with a minimal shot at NHL success (and no real success in extremely limited games as a pro) is essentially the same thing. It's basically a reserve list spot swap.
  •  

bustaheims

Quote from: Guilt Trip on July 27, 2021, 11:57:40 AM
This could go sideways quickly and if he did retire, would Vegas be on the hook for recapture seeing he won't play a game in Chicago?

Recapture only applies to contracts that were backdiving and 8+ seasons long signed before the current limits on term. They don't apply here.
  •  

CarltonTheBear

A better one, courtesy of @LeBronMaclean.
  •