Maple Leafs News and Views > Leafs Rumours & Speculation

My honest opinion for 2021-22

<< < (8/8)

Joe S.:
Over the years I’ve seen the term ‘hometown discount’ thrown around and honestly, are there any examples of this actually happening? Where players left significant dollars on the table to stay ‘home’?

No one should have any expectations of Matthews taking a discount. He deserves whatever is coming to him.

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Joe S. on August 26, 2021, 11:53:09 AM ---Over the years I’ve seen the term ‘hometown discount’ thrown around and honestly, are there any examples of this actually happening? Where players left significant dollars on the table to stay ‘home’?

No one should have any expectations of Matthews taking a discount. He deserves whatever is coming to him.

--- End quote ---

Hard to say. There are definitely rumblings of players being offered more money to go elsewhere but chose to stay where they were - but, they're really just rumblings, and there's a lot of factors at play in that decision. Players aren't going to leave a contender, leave a situation where they're happy/comfortable, or choose to go to a bad team for a little extra cash.

Nik:

--- Quote from: Joe S. on August 26, 2021, 11:53:09 AM ---Over the years I’ve seen the term ‘hometown discount’ thrown around and honestly, are there any examples of this actually happening? Where players left significant dollars on the table to stay ‘home’?

--- End quote ---

To some extent, sure. People will cite Tampa lots and I think there are quite a few guys who took less than they almost certainly would have fetcged on the open market. Someone like Sid Crosby almost certainly could have gotten more than what he got as a UFA than he did signing long term in Pittsburgh.

The thing though, that people don't want to hear is...Matthews did kind of give the team a discount. By either way you could have measured it.

Would he have been offered more as a UFA? Yes.

Could he have demanded more and the Leafs probably would have given it to him? Again, yes. The Leafs don't ruin their relationship with him if he wants 12 million a season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version