Maple Leafs News and Views > Leafs Rumours & Speculation

Armchair GM 2021-2022: Catharsis

<< < (3/57) > >>

Chris:
Hyman seemed to forget his role a bit and looked like he tried to do too much himself. I honestly don't know how much he's worth at this point. I don't think he's going to age well because of his style and injury history. Maybe that combined with his desire to stay in Toronto would lead to a more reasonable deal than many think. Assuming he really wants to stay, that is.

Bogo I thought was really good this season and I'd be in favor of a small raise to keep him, especially if we're going to lose Dermott or Holl. Galchenyuk, I don't think he deserves a raise. I like him and would be interested in keeping him for depth but he wasn't all that effective scoring-wise for the most part despite playing hard and at least appearing to give a f...unless maybe they think the Leafs skills coaches can work some magic on him.

We really need someone like Robertson to come in and get comfortable and provide some more of a secondary scoring threat. Hopefully he's healthy and stronger by the start of the season so he can get in a full year.

CarltonTheBear:
The Hyman-Matthews-Marner played 289 5-on-5 minutes together and in that time the Leafs GF/60 was 4.36 and they had a 72% GF%.

In the 453 minutes M&M played without Hyman on their wing the team scored at a rate of 3.7 GF/60 and they had a 65% GF%.

I'm all for finding an upgrade for that top line if one exists. Good luck doing it for less than $4.5mil.

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Guilt Trip on June 02, 2021, 12:01:10 PM ---So he's not on the line expected to finish? Why is he on the PP? That's pretty sad don't you think? He was a huge problem for M&M this series. He had 1 takeaway these playoffs so he wasn't really effective was he?
The problem with having a guy who can't finish on your top line is that it makes it easier to check them in the playoffs. The habs just focused on Matthews, who I thought actually played well despite not scoring.

--- End quote ---

The plant himself in front of the goalie and take away their line of site, and maybe bat in some rebounds - kind of like what Tomas Holmstrom did for Detroit. Also, he averaged 1:30/game on the PP, good for 7th among forwards, so it's not like he was seen as a key cog there, either. Wayne Simmonds averaged more than that, and he was awful.

Also, who else would go there? It's not like the Leafs had a ton of guys lower in the depth charts that would have been a meaningful upgrade.

herman:
I'd like to move away from planting a stationary player in front of the goalie on the PP. Sort of neutralizes the 5-on-4 advantage (and even strength OZ cycles) if one guy is just standing there waiting for pucks to whizz by.

Guilt Trip:

--- Quote from: herman on June 02, 2021, 12:21:00 PM ---I'd like to move away from planting a stationary player in front of the goalie on the PP. Sort of neutralizes the 5-on-4 advantage (and even strength OZ cycles) if one guy is just standing there waiting for pucks to whizz by.

--- End quote ---
Agreed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version