Maple Leafs News and Views > 2011 to 2021 GDTs (OLD)

Canadiens @ Leafs - May 20th, 7:30pm - CBC, TSN 1050

<< < (72/72)

Bill_Berg_is_sad:

--- Quote from: herman on May 21, 2021, 03:22:45 PM ---Versteeg is right - and a lot of people are missing the forest for the trees - that it was the trend of reckless hits that created the environment that led to Tavares' injury. Ultimately, those hits were being laid because (in the playoffs) refs let players play that way. https://t.co/SbFLDeLI5z— ⭐Dan⭐ (@265Kilometres) May 21, 2021
--- End quote ---
This got overshadowed by the Corey Perryness of it all, but this is pretty much what I was feeling after I got the thumbs up from Tavares.

--- End quote ---

Yeah the whole built for the playoffs, finish your checks, grind them down, we can't match the talent so we need to take away space, etc... All feels like the same thing.  We're going to be extra violent because we can and if you get hurt, oh well. 

Chris:

--- Quote from: Bill_Berg on May 21, 2021, 04:03:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: herman on May 21, 2021, 03:22:45 PM ---Versteeg is right - and a lot of people are missing the forest for the trees - that it was the trend of reckless hits that created the environment that led to Tavares' injury. Ultimately, those hits were being laid because (in the playoffs) refs let players play that way. https://t.co/SbFLDeLI5z— ⭐Dan⭐ (@265Kilometres) May 21, 2021
--- End quote ---
This got overshadowed by the Corey Perryness of it all, but this is pretty much what I was feeling after I got the thumbs up from Tavares.

--- End quote ---

Yeah the whole built for the playoffs, finish your checks, grind them down, we can't match the talent so we need to take away space, etc... All feels like the same thing.  We're going to be extra violent because we can and if you get hurt, oh well.

--- End quote ---

I've had a lot of discussions about this kind of thing lately, most of it spurred by the Tom Wilson incident with the Rangers. The question is, what does the NHL want to be? Does it want to be a league that showcases the skill of the players, or a league that caters to "old style", "beat 'em in the alley" kind of hockey? There are tremendous mixed messages coming from the league - you see it in the way games are refereed ("I wanted to even up the penalties") and in the way player discipline/suspensions are handled. They talk about getting rid of dangerous hits but then they fine Tom Wilson $5000 for what he did in that game? That's probably like fining me $5. Big effin deal.

Call the games according to the rule book and keep it consistent in the regular season and playoffs. Call those damned vicious cross-checks in front of the net and after the whistle, along with the flagrant interference. Call it the same way in the first period, the third period, overtime, playoffs. Hand out suspensions that significantly hurt both players and teams for violent acts. Do that or stop pretending.

There's plenty of room for both skill and physical play to exist.

Arn:
I think i said it at the time but I wasn’t surprised to see a Leafs player get injured the way the Habs came out. It was just bad luck it was a slightly freak occurrence that ultimately caused the injury rather than as a direct reaction to some of the play.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version