Author Topic: Howie Meeker passes away  (Read 636 times)

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
Howie Meeker passes away
« on: November 08, 2020, 02:49:57 PM »

4 time cup winner with the Leafs, legendary broadcaster and one time Federal Member of Parliament Howie Meeker has passed away at 97. What a career.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline .

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Howie Meeker passes away
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 04:17:07 PM »
I'm probably dating myself a bit, but I remember as a kid going to hockey camps and during breaks in on-ice training, we'd all sit and watch reel to reel instructional movies featuring howie meeker. Good times.

Impressive life and accomplishments.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 04:17:07 PM »

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 09:20:15 PM »
My earliest and most lasting memories of HNIC were Saturday intermissions with Peter Puck and Howie Meeker. A great teacher and ambassador for the game.
It's not denial...I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 07:23:45 AM »
My earliest and most lasting memories of HNIC were Saturday intermissions with Peter Puck and Howie Meeker. A great teacher and ambassador for the game.

So awesome! Those are my memories as well.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 11:35:11 AM »
I loved Howie Meeker, he said a few classics in his time. One was when the Leaf D were sprawling on the ice while the other team scored a goal, Howie said "There's the Leafs down on their knees looking for nickles". 

His other classic was that "Tiger Williams is living proof that hair grows on cement".  funny.

A Leaf great, RIP Howie.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 02:56:39 PM »
Grew up with Meeker on TV, legend on so many levels.  I never realized he assisted on Barilko's winner in 1951, just read that after his passing. RIP Howie.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 07:25:45 PM »
I'm probably dating myself a bit, but I remember as a kid going to hockey camps and during breaks in on-ice training, we'd all sit and watch reel to reel instructional movies featuring howie meeker. Good times.

Impressive life and accomplishments.

I remember that well.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.