Just for Fun > Non-Hockey Chatter

The Official TV Thread

<< < (375/394) > >>

Nik:

--- Quote from: Bender on January 01, 2022, 06:08:25 PM ---In what sense was it clever, and just so we're on the same page, what point do you think it was making?

--- End quote ---

So it's been a while since I watched it but obviously it's about the relationship between the privileged and the less privileged and how they interact in the most direct sense in the most modern version of the aristocracy/servant relationship we're likely to get.

And I guess what I thought was clever was that they set up all of these scenarios where we might see people realize the grossness/excesses of that relationship and "learn a lesson", whether it's the newlywed feeling constricted by the upper class life she has planned out for her and the class she's joining or the friend of the daughter seeing how the daughter didn't think she was really her equal or even Jennifer Coolidge's character sort of being used for emotional validation by the guy she hooks up with in the same way she was using the spa manager, and in the end all of them retreat to the safety and security of their established social hierarchies as soon as they really see what being outside of them might entail. Nobody grows or changes when face to face with the inequities of our modern caste system and nobody receives a comeuppance for being a terrible person.

So, again, I don't think there was anything groundbreaking in the message but I do think that there was a sharpness in the characters that very much drove home the ideas here.

herman:
I know nothing about the game, but Arcane is a dope show.

OldTimeHockey:
Finished watching "The Wheel of Time" with my daughter last night. There's some instances that I felt were overdone, and some others that were poorly written, but overall, it was a fun watch.

Groundskeeper Willie:

--- Quote from: OldTimeHockey on January 04, 2022, 07:23:21 AM ---Finished watching "The Wheel of Time" with my daughter last night. There's some instances that I felt were overdone, and some others that were poorly written, but overall, it was a fun watch.

--- End quote ---
I'm a big fan of the books and am half way through the show. I've found it ok so far, they've definitely tried to make it more gritty than the source material. The biggest issue I've had though is that none of the characters seem very likable.

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Groundskeeper Willie on January 04, 2022, 07:52:45 AM ---I'm a big fan of the books and am half way through the show. I've found it ok so far, they've definitely tried to make it more gritty than the source material. The biggest issue I've had though is that none of the characters seem very likable.

--- End quote ---

That's definitely an issue the show is going to have to deal with. All the main characters (outside of maybe Egwene) come across so gruff and unfriendly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version