Author Topic: Sun: Leafs interested in Joe Thornton  (Read 19775 times)

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Sun: Leafs interested in Joe Thornton
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2014, 09:38:34 PM »
I still think the Phaneuf for Thornton idea has merit.

There's really no other likely way to do it, with their cap situation, right? I haven't looked at capgeek in a while, but I recall the outlook for this season being so tight that it was hard to see how they could add a top 6 center.

So you mean to tell me that a smart Leaf GM goes out and trades some youth away for Thornton? Cause were just a Thornton away from the whole shebang, huh? * shakes head*
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2014, 09:46:52 PM »

There's really no other likely way to do it, with their cap situation, right? I haven't looked at capgeek in a while, but I recall the outlook for this season being so tight that it was hard to see how they could add a top 6 center.

So you mean to tell me that a smart Leaf GM goes out and trades some youth away for Thornton? Cause were just a Thornton away from the whole shebang, huh? * shakes head*

Phaneuf is probably past the "youth" tag.

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »

No, just that cap situation means that GM can't. Personally, I'd like to see someone swap youth for youth -- package Gardiner or Kadri to try to get O'Reilly from Colorado -- or try for a UFA like Stasny, but those aren't even options. Or are they? I haven't looked lately.

But, no, I don't think trading away a developed defenseman like Phaneuf for an older C makes much sense. That C will be well past his prime -- to say nothing of the forwards in their late 20s -- by the time the younger defense corps, presumably anchored by Rielly and Gardiner, is developed enough to compete.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2014, 10:04:01 PM »

Phaneuf is probably past the "youth" tag.

Phaneuf may be past his youthfulness, but not his usefulness. Nonis would be giving away his best defenseman for a guy with less years ahead than I can could on one hand. This on a team that is years away still from being any kind of contender.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2014, 01:41:21 PM »
Clearly the Leafs.

@Hope_Smoke 

Friedman "the thing about SJ is, I've heard Joe Thornton does not want to move unless it's to an absolutely 5 star lock contender"

Offline Stickytape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2014, 01:57:21 PM »
Clearly the Leafs.

@Hope_Smoke 

Friedman "the thing about SJ is, I've heard Joe Thornton does not want to move unless it's to an absolutely 5 star lock contender"
Perhaps he means a 5 star lock contender for the #1 draft pick in 2015?

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2014, 02:04:59 PM »
Clearly the Leafs.

@Hope_Smoke 

Perhaps he means a 5 star lock contender for the #1 draft pick in 2015?

What ever team he goes too, will not win the cup. He has a curse on him.

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »
Clearly the Leafs.

@Hope_Smoke 

Crazy thing about LA Kings is that they have $7 MIL of cap space available.  If they could get SJ to trade with them they could fit Thornton in.  If they bought out Mike Richards then they could sign Gaborik back as well.

What a difference in how LA manages their contracts compared to Toronto.
All The Best
Dan

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »
Crazy thing about LA Kings is that they have $7 MIL of cap space available.  If they could get SJ to trade with them they could fit Thornton in.  If they bought out Mike Richards then they could sign Gaborik back as well.

What a difference in how LA manages their contracts compared to Toronto.

Maybe, but I think it's more just that they've built themselves with young, home-grown players who haven't had their big paydays yet. The Kings are good with cap space now but next year they have to resign, or make decisions on, a ton of players who are due big raises.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Stebro

« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
I think we should go for someone with more experience lol