Maple Leafs News and Views > Leafs Rumours & Speculation

My honest opinion for 2021-22

<< < (2/8) > >>

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Bender on June 17, 2021, 10:56:31 AM ---After bungling Zaitsev and completely screwing up with Marleau I think Lou's tenure is unforgivable. Both those contracts were albatrosses that we had to spend assets just to get out of.

As well, it's just been a questionable track record ever since they drafted Matthews. Nik has said repeatedly they should never have short circuited the rebuild and instead of hitting it out of the park with draft picks and turning the roster over theg let guys walk for nothing repeatedly and have not a lot to show for it. I'm so tired of walking guys to free agency.

To me Lou having success for the Islanders is less to do with Lou and a lot more to do with Trotz being an amazing coach. Washington has been pretty trash since he won them a Cup. It's no surprise that the Isles are playing well with high level coaching even without the most elite talent.

--- End quote ---

Lou's track record in the cap era is not great - questionable draft choices, poor contracts, and bad trades abound. He basically had to pioneer the concept of moving a pick with a bad contract to free up cap space because of the terrible contract he signed Malakhov to. Then there's the mess with Kovalchuk, the 6 year deals he gave Zubrus and Volchenkov, constantly bringing back "his guys" even when they're not contributors, and so on. There's the occasional good move in there, but there's much more of the bad stuff. He's lucky Trotz is clearly able to spin straw into gold, because the moves he's made with the Islanders have also not been great in a capped league.

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate:
Welcome to the convo.

I have no idea if MLSE sat down with Shanahan/Dubas/Keefe before their pressers but I just want to second your point that if the Leafs don't get past the first round next spring (or if they miss entirely, a definite possibility when they return to the usual divisions) then it could — and I think should — be a complete wipeout.

Babcock/Lou weren't the answer but their focus on getting a team ready for the playoffs is something Keefe/Boy-King haven't demonstrated success at, at least beyond the AHL.  They get one more kick at the can, but that's it.

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate:
And an unrelated thought for the mods: isn't it time we close this board and just move the GM thread and this one to the front page?  Until Shamus started this thread here, there hasn't been a new one outside of the GM threads for several years.  Frankly, at this stage all Leafs threads should just go on the front page, IMO.

L K:
The Keefe criticism seems odd to me.  He's put the Leafs at 113 point pace in his two partial seasons.  He's 5-7 in the postseason with four games going to OT.  Obviously results are the deciding factor on what you do but he still hasn't had a full 82-game season with the team.

Highlander:

--- Quote from: L K on June 17, 2021, 03:34:38 PM ---The Keefe criticism seems odd to me.  He's put the Leafs at 113 point pace in his two partial seasons.  He's 5-7 in the postseason with four games going to OT.  Obviously results are the deciding factor on what you do but he still hasn't had a full 82-game season with the team.

--- End quote ---
Ya we had 113 point pace, the team was way more consistent this year with Brodie on the D.  My comments are this; we have a great core team, Spezza is returning, some acquisitions/trades will be made to hopefully improve the overall level of competitiveness.   
We have now had two abbreviated seasons with virtually no normalcy.  No full training camps, no crowds, pretty unsettling for us oldsters, what does it do to the mental health of a 24 year old.
We are returning to normal, perhaps a new normal, but as close to our old lives as possible.  Give this team one more year, a full training camp, playing in front of home town crowds.  Add a killer or two and we will be on our way.
When Shamus says we are "loosing", no we are preparing to win. 

They will open the vault for Matthews when they have to, or trade him for a zillion draft picks and get McDavid off the Oilers, but now we are getting really ahead of ourselves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version