Author Topic: 2020-2021 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 73884 times)

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2020-2021 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #2175 on: May 11, 2021, 11:22:54 AM »
Playoff series are very rarely "easy" to win. Winning two rounds would be an accomplishment, regardless of who they beat. Other fan bases would downplay it, sure, but the team that comes out of the North would still be one of only 4 teams to do so this season.

There's a chance that we might need to get past a player who just had the greatest regular season of his generation and possibly in the entire history of the NHL... so yeah I don't think we should really downplay that competition.

Yeah. At this point some of the overconfidence I'm seeing is making me pretty nervous. Like, let's win a playoff series before we start debating whether or not we won it good enough.
The habs will not be an easy out....no one will.

Online L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: May 11, 2021, 11:24:36 AM »

Even with Price standing on his head, Nash would free up Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares.

The Leafs don't need help scoring. They need help defending. They are not getting anymore offense from Mikheyev than they could get from Nash...So, like I said above, you put the better defender in. And if we want to keep Mikheyev in for his speed, you drop Galchenyuk and move Kerfoot up to the 2nd line like Carlton suggested.
They didn't lose last year to CBJ because of defence. They couldn't score. You can never have too much offence.
I would be surprised to see Keefe sit Mikheyev who is arguably our most dependable defensive player. Mik may not score a lot but he produces more then Nash and has all of 3 less 5v5 goals then Hyman. No one on the Leafs generates as much offence killing penalties either.

Even though Mikheyev is basically guaranteed not to finish on those shorthanded breakaways, they are crucial opportunities to kill time off the clock and get line changes.  We *should* have Foligno and Hyman back in the lineup to help kill penalties too so between Mikheyev/Marner/Kerfoot/Foligno/Hyman/(Spezza for faceoffs) the Leafs don't really *Need* Nash although I'm sure that he will play games for the Leafs in the playoffs especially if they lose games or have injuries.

Online L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: May 11, 2021, 11:28:56 AM »
Playoff series are very rarely "easy" to win. Winning two rounds would be an accomplishment, regardless of who they beat. Other fan bases would downplay it, sure, but the team that comes out of the North would still be one of only 4 teams to do so this season.

There's a chance that we might need to get past a player who just had the greatest regular season of his generation and possibly in the entire history of the NHL... so yeah I don't think we should really downplay that competition.

Yeah. At this point some of the overconfidence I'm seeing is making me pretty nervous. Like, let's win a playoff series before we start debating whether or not we won it good enough.

The only thing that has me tilting my head on the Habs right now is how mediocre they looked in the three games against us this past week.  The Leafs really weren't playing for anything and realistically the Habs weren't in danger of missing the playoffs but they really just seem like a team that is missing something fundamental for a team that still had a chance of being eliminated. Granted that might be fixed by their injured guys but I'm kind of surprised how teams don't seem to be getting into "playoff mode".

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: May 11, 2021, 11:30:39 AM »

Completely agree. But let's face it... everybody is expecting a 1st round victory. In fact, if they can't get past the Canadiens in the first round we've got a lot more discussion ahead about what kind of team these Leafs are, than we do about the confidence level of fans going into this years playoffs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:33:07 AM by RedLeaf »
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: May 11, 2021, 11:32:11 AM »
I would be surprised to see Keefe sit Mikheyev who is arguably our most dependable defensive player. Mik may not score a lot but he produces more then Nash and has all of 3 less 5v5 goals then Hyman. No one on the Leafs generates as much offence killing penalties either. Nash maybe going in but I doubt it's for Mik.

You can't always be gameplanning for the series you lost last year but even then I don't agree. The reality of playoff hockey is that no matter how much offense you have, the other team might turn things into a grind it out game. I don't know who might come out of the lineup if Nash comes in but I think the ability to play that sort of game will be better than trying to overwhelm it by having marginally better offensive players on your third line.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: May 11, 2021, 11:33:16 AM »
Completely agree. But let's face it... everybody is expecting a 1st round victory.

As they were last year, which is why it's foolish to make that mistake again.
- Sean Doolittle

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: May 11, 2021, 11:36:09 AM »
Completely agree. But let's face it... everybody is expecting a 1st round victory.

The rest of that thought was less about expectations and more about...What are we left with if they don't?
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: May 11, 2021, 11:42:26 AM »

The lineup spots where we can leverage some improvement with injured players coming off the shelf: 2LW, 3C, 3RW.

2LW: Kerfoot > Galchenyuk; Hyman > Kerfoot, Galchenyuk
3C: Nash > Kerfoot (defensively), Engvall
3RW: Hyman > Foligno > Simmonds, Engvall, Galchenyuk
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:50:24 AM by herman »
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: May 11, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »

Hmmmm

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: May 11, 2021, 11:48:04 AM »
The rest of that thought was less about expectations and more about...What are we left with if they don't?

I don't think anything fundamentally changes given the fairly random nature of the playoffs. You can make changes for change's sake or you can try and address why you lost in the playoffs and do your best to fix those elements of the roster within the confines of the cap.

But if they lose because their goaltending is a problem, which is absolutely possible, then we already knew that.
- Sean Doolittle

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: May 11, 2021, 11:51:29 AM »

Hmmmm
Can't see them putting Hyman on LTIR now so there's no way Freddie is getting into a game for the Leafs this week. Looks like Foligno is on one of the top 2 lines and so is Hyman.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: May 11, 2021, 12:11:08 PM »

I make a distinction between expecting something and being overconfident that it will happen.  I expect the Leafs to beat the Habs, but at the same time your point is right on the mark, they have to prove they can win in the postseason so being overconfident is not warranted.  Some series going in are real toss-ups; others have a favorite.  The Leafs will be, and should be, favored to beat Montreal.  They could very well lose, for any number of reasons, but again as you say goaltending — either for or against — is the likeliest one.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: May 11, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »
I make a distinction between expecting something and being overconfident that it will happen.

I think maybe the distinction I'm making is between thinking something is more likely than not to happen and expecting it to happen. If I roll the dice I'm confident it's more likely to come up 7 than any other number but I certainly don't expect it to be 7.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: May 11, 2021, 12:38:04 PM »

Well I was close. If that 3rd line is being used as a checking unit then I think it needs Hyman or Foligno there. If it isn't being used as a checking unit then it probably doesn't have enough offence on it. Still time to move things around though so we'll see what happens.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: May 11, 2021, 12:53:43 PM »
As much as I think the 3rd line could use a Foligno or Hyman, that is one absolutely stacked top-6.