Author Topic: 2020-2021 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 67096 times)

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2020-2021 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #2205 on: May 11, 2021, 03:20:27 PM »
And you wonder why Tavares had trouble scoring lol
Maybe Engvall should play with Tavares sticks.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Online Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: May 11, 2021, 05:28:54 PM »
I make a distinction between expecting something and being overconfident that it will happen.

I think maybe the distinction I'm making is between thinking something is more likely than not to happen and expecting it to happen. If I roll the dice I'm confident it's more likely to come up 7 than any other number but I certainly don't expect it to be 7.

At the end of the day who really cares? It’s not like anyone has any influence over what will happen.

Given the 2 rosters, I feel fairly confident the leafs will win. If they don’t, whatever, life goes on.

I just don’t get super high and super low anymore. Not like in the early 2000. Those playoff series losses destroyed me, especially the flyers ones, I’d be depressed for weeks.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: May 11, 2021, 07:29:22 PM »
I make a distinction between expecting something and being overconfident that it will happen.

I think maybe the distinction I'm making is between thinking something is more likely than not to happen and expecting it to happen. If I roll the dice I'm confident it's more likely to come up 7 than any other number but I certainly don't expect it to be 7.

At the end of the day who really cares? It’s not like anyone has any influence over what will happen.

Given the 2 rosters, I feel fairly confident the leafs will win. If they don’t, whatever, life goes on.

I just don’t get super high and super low anymore. Not like in the early 2000. Those playoff series losses destroyed me, especially the flyers ones, I’d be depressed for weeks.
Agree on the life goes on part. I mean let's face it... we're not getting any richer and our names aren't going on the cup. I hope they can be successful tho!

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: May 11, 2021, 09:25:25 PM »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:27:31 PM by herman »
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: May 11, 2021, 11:26:01 PM »
We are boned
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: May 12, 2021, 12:12:59 AM »
We are boned

Heh. 

I'd say that's about right.  We ought to win this series.  That said, 25% for MTL is far higher odds than anything anyone should be overconfident about.

EDIT: what's more interesting is that they have us currently as the faves for the Cup, and EDM ahead of defending champ TBL.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:17:08 AM by Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: May 12, 2021, 08:29:26 AM »
EDIT: what's more interesting is that they have us currently as the faves for the Cup, and EDM ahead of defending champ TBL.

I imagine a lot of that is based on the higher odds one of Toronto or Edmonton has of representing the North, while the other 3 divisions don't have quite as clear a picture.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: May 12, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »

I imagine a lot of that is based on the higher odds one of Toronto or Edmonton has of representing the North, while the other 3 divisions don't have quite as clear a picture.

Yeah I'd assume that the Leafs odds will go down in the Cup odds if they advance round over round.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: May 12, 2021, 09:10:18 AM »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: May 12, 2021, 09:11:50 AM »

Yeah I'd assume that the Leafs odds will go down in the Cup odds if they advance round over round.

Their model also seems to have us as the 2nd best team in the league behind only Colorado though. So while their Cup odds do factor in which teams everyone needs to go through they are still very high on the Leafs regardless.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: May 12, 2021, 09:19:14 AM »

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: May 12, 2021, 09:34:09 AM »
Montreal and Toronto have faced off in the postseason 15 times. Montreal leads with 8 series victories to the Leafs 7.  Montreal has won 42 games to the Leafs 29.  Time to even things up.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: May 12, 2021, 10:56:47 AM »

I agree.  Our division is the most cupecakish of them all.  This, really, is the ideal year for Toronto to make a deep run, and I think having no fans in the stands for the first two rounds helps, too.  Eliminates home/away disparities as a factor, small though it may be.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: May 12, 2021, 11:11:27 AM »

Their model also seems to have us as the 2nd best team in the league behind only Colorado though. So while their Cup odds do factor in which teams everyone needs to go through they are still very high on the Leafs regardless.

Dom from The Athletic's model also has Colorado and Toronto with the highest odds of winning the Cup.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: May 12, 2021, 11:14:58 AM »

Also, every time the Oilers have beaten the Jets in the playoffs, they've made it to the final. One of these streaks is likely to be broken.