Useless Thread

Started by ThatLeafsFan, July 18, 2011, 05:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heroic Shrimp

https://www.reddit.com/r/weirddalle/

Man, this has been so much fun to browse through. Images submitted from the use of an AI model that generates images from any prompt, based on whatever crazy string of words one might to see. "The Last Supper at a strip club"? You got it. "Darth Vader doing a kick-flip". No problem. "Dumpster fire painted by Monet"? Here you go.

I think there's more than one source to use, but I've been using this one:
https://huggingface.co/spaces/dalle-mini/dalle-mini

Takes up to a couple of minutes to run. Be prepared for many weird misfires, but the ones that are good can be so good.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

Heroic Shrimp

Bullfrog

that's awesome HS!  I did "stickman with big feet" and it give it giant feet for hands!   ;D

L K

Travelled for work for the first time since the pandemic.   Airport security was fine.....

First flight cancelled on me.   Earliest the airline could rebook me was 3 days later. 

Had to pay a premium for another airline to get a flight back to Pearson.  Have now been sitting waiting for a ground crew team
For 1.5 hours after landing.   

Don't think I will agree to work for another hospital not within driving distance any time soon.

Heroic Shrimp

Quote from: Bullfrog on June 24, 2022, 09:26:03 AM
that's awesome HS!  I did "stickman with big feet" and it give it giant feet for hands!   ;D
Ha!

My favourite of my own attempts thus far:

Bender

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Heroic Shrimp

Arn

Quote from: L K on June 26, 2022, 03:01:31 PM
Travelled for work for the first time since the pandemic.   Airport security was fine.....

First flight cancelled on me.   Earliest the airline could rebook me was 3 days later. 

Had to pay a premium for another airline to get a flight back to Pearson.  Have now been sitting waiting for a ground crew team
For 1.5 hours after landing.   

Don't think I will agree to work for another hospital not within driving distance any time soon.

I've done a couple of trips and been ok, bar a few long-ish security queues.

But since people have started to ramp back up for holidays the airlines and airports in Europe are really struggling.

Airports let loads of staff go during the pandemic and now can't get staffed up enough so we're seeing not enough security lanes open for the numbers of passengers, with people queuing out the doors onto the roads and waits of over 4 hours.

Dublin airport literally painted a line on the road and said, "if you're not past this line 3 hours before your flight just go home cos you're not getting there on time".

Similarly airlines don't have enough stewarding staff and flights being cancelled cos the staff have worked too long shifts.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Nik

So I'm not saying this about the people in this thread(and certainly not LK) but I find a certain amount of despair in the complaints about the problems with air travel.

Leaving aside the environmental reckoning we're going to have to deal with in terms of air travel on demand(and boy howdy, are going to have to reckon with that) disruptions with air travel were such a natural and predictable consequence of the Western world's Covid policy of "Pretend it isn't happening and let the weak die in the service of people's convenience" that I really would have thought that at the very least there'd be less complaining about it.

I mean, just the physical realities of air travel mean airline staff are the most exposed to Covid and air lines aren't going to have this massive roster of staff on stand-by to fill in...like, how did people think air travel was going to work in a post-Covid world?
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Frank E

Quote from: Nik on June 27, 2022, 05:32:32 PM

So I'm not saying this about the people in this thread(and certainly not LK) but I find a certain amount of despair in the complaints about the problems with air travel.

Leaving aside the environmental reckoning we're going to have to deal with in terms of air travel on demand(and boy howdy, are going to have to reckon with that) disruptions with air travel were such a natural and predictable consequence of the Western world's Covid policy of "Pretend it isn't happening and let the weak die in the service of people's convenience" that I really would have thought that at the very least there'd be less complaining about it.

I mean, just the physical realities of air travel mean airline staff are the most exposed to Covid and air lines aren't going to have this massive roster of staff on stand-by to fill in...like, how did people think air travel was going to work in a post-Covid world?

I can usually see your point, I might not agree but I can usually understand it...but I'm having trouble with what your message is here.

WhatIfGodWasALeaf

Quote from: Frank E on June 27, 2022, 05:54:08 PM

I can usually see your point, I might not agree but I can usually understand it...but I'm having trouble with what your message is here.

What I took from it and I'm probably wrong is, what did people expect to happen?

Pretend covid has gone away, reduce staff, allow no masks, no vaccines in a lot of places, take government handouts while still making profits and not investing in addressing these problems that a blind person could see coming and this is what you're left with, no accountability, no solutions, just capitalism caught with its pants down and it's hands in the public purse yelling durrrr.

Oh and maybe this could have been a catalyst to make air travel more green...

Nik

Quote from: WhatIfGodWasALeaf on June 27, 2022, 06:16:42 PM
Quote from: Frank E on June 27, 2022, 05:54:08 PM

What I took from it and I'm probably wrong is, what did people expect to happen?

Pretend covid has gone away, reduce staff, allow no masks, no vaccines in a lot of places, take government handouts while still making profits and not investing in addressing these problems that a blind person could see coming and this is what you're left with, no accountability, no solutions, just capitalism caught with its pants down and it's hands in the public purse yelling durrrr.

Oh and maybe this could have been a catalyst to make air travel more green...

You're certainly not wrong. "How did people miss that ignoring an airborne pandemic would wreak havoc on staffing levels of a business dependent on staff being jammed into a metal tube with hundreds of other people for hours at a time" is definitely part of it. Everyone should have known that air travel during a pandemic wouldn't work as well as air travel pre-pandemic without massive changes but those changes weren't made, air travel isn't working well and people are outraged(although again, not talking about people in this thread).

In the Coronavirus thread I talked about how the "Let society open up! We have to learn to live with Covid" was so transparently misleading because the people advocating it weren't actually advocating for dealing with the natural consequences of those actions and the public investment needed to accommodate that(better ventilators in schools and LTC facilities, expanding health care capabilities, etc) but rather they were just advocating for opening up society, reaping the perceived benefits and not dealing with the hard questions that would leave us. It wasn't living with Covid, it was acting as if Covid wasn't here.

As someone who thinks that our society existing for much longer sort of depends on privileged people being ok with being less selfish in order for us to make meaningful changes in the way we live, it's fairly disheartening to see that not only are people unwilling to accept even minor inconveniences for the common welfare of society like masks, they're not even able to accept the consequences of their own obstinacy once they've gotten everything they want.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

L K

I mean absolutely.  My venting was mostly 1st world problems annoyance.  I chose to help out a struggling hospital up north and the delays just messed with my timing to get rest before getting back to my usual job.   That's still on me for travelling at this time.

It just really exposed how awful the recruitment effort has been in terms of rolling out bringing these systems back into "pre covid" has been.  Air Canada is booking flights that they don't have pilots to fly the plane.  The flights are unsurprisingly being cancelled and travelers are being left stranded for things that should never have been available to be booked in the first place.

From the airline perspective the COVID infection rates have been pretty minimal.  It's more that airports and airlines laid off a lot of workers and are doing nothing to incentivize them to come back to work. 

Its the same problem in every industry that isn't paying well enough/staffing well enough to keep their employment base afloat.

I certainly do agree with you on the we are at a crossroads angle of society though.  My concern is that if anything we continue to push further away from having that difficult discussions as the generation that would get most negatively affected by those changes clings to power.

Bullfrog

Quote from: Nik on June 27, 2022, 06:29:37 PM
As someone who thinks that our society existing for much longer sort of depends on privileged people being ok with being less selfish in order for us to make meaningful changes in the way we live, it's fairly disheartening to see that not only are people unwilling to accept even minor inconveniences for the common welfare of society like masks, they're not even able to accept the consequences of their own obstinacy once they've gotten everything they want.

That requires comprehension of the causality of their actions.