Author Topic: Round 1: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. New York Islanders  (Read 952 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Round 1: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. New York Islanders
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 10:07:17 AM »
Some of it was because of cap reasons I guess, but I always thought it was pretty strange they handed Jarry the reigns completely and didn't bring in a more experienced back-up or 1B guy to platoon with him.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 10:18:29 AM »
Some of it was because of cap reasons I guess, but I always thought it was pretty strange they handed Jarry the reigns completely and didn't bring in a more experienced back-up or 1B guy to platoon with him.

They clearly had faith in DeSmith - who put up pretty good numbers for them as a back-up. I'm actually surprised they didn't go to him for Game 5, with how poorly Jarry performed in Games 3 and 4.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 10:18:29 AM »

Offline Guilt Trip

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 11:16:57 AM »

They clearly had faith in DeSmith - who put up pretty good numbers for them as a back-up. I'm actually surprised they didn't go to him for Game 5, with how poorly Jarry performed in Games 3 and 4.
I don't think DeSmith was even the backup last night. And Jarry was brutal. If memory serves he gave up a few brutal goals in game 1 also. He cost them the series.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 11:29:59 AM »
The Penguins just can't seem to beat the Islanders in a playoff series. This loss puts their all-time record against them at 1-5.

And the worst would have been 1993, when David Volek won it for the Islanders in game 7 in overtime. 
"We can’t change what’s done, we can only move on.” - Arthur Morgan

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 01:10:54 PM »

I don't think DeSmith was even the backup last night. And Jarry was brutal. If memory serves he gave up a few brutal goals in game 1 also. He cost them the series.

Well, that would certainly help explain some of that.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan