Other Hockey News & Views > General NHL News & Views

Official Ottawa Senators Thread

<< < (672/672)

Nik:

I don't think Alfredsson is the worst choice or whatever but I do think he represents two things that are, generally speaking, not good. One is a sort of general lowering of the standards and the other is rewarding a guy not so much for his play but for the optics of a guy spending the entirety of his career for a Canadian team and being the face of their franchise. I've made the comparison before but Alfredsson going in over Patrik Elias, to me, is a perfect example of how the HHOF's standards are a moving target that say more about the people doing the inducting than the inductee.

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Nik on June 27, 2022, 05:26:51 PM ---I don't think Alfredsson is the worst choice or whatever but I do think he represents two things that are, generally speaking, not good. One is a sort of general lowering of the standards and the other is rewarding a guy not so much for his play but for the optics of a guy spending the entirety of his career for a Canadian team and being the face of their franchise. I've made the comparison before but Alfredsson going in over Patrik Elias, to me, is a perfect example of how the HHOF's standards are a moving target that say more about the people doing the inducting than the inductee.

--- End quote ---

That sums things up nicely. To me, Alfredsson was the epitome of a guy whose career fell just short of the HHoF. Very good overall numbers, but missing out on some of the standard measuring sticks, some seasons where he got consideration among the best at his position but rarely in serious contention for being the best, not much in terms of end of season awards, etc. Strong international results help boost him up, but I never thought of them as strong enough to push him over the top, but rather, right up to the edge. Guys like him and Elias were essentially the measuring stick for me - they're among the best of the not quite Hall-worthy. Except, I guess, now one of them is.

herman:

--- Quote from: CarltonTheBear on June 27, 2022, 03:33:24 PM ---I looked up this NHL.com article after Luongo retired asking whether or not he should be in the Hall and 6 of the 7 columnists/writers asked said he shouldn't be a first ballot guy.

Which is funny because, I mean, he was... and because I think he's arguably the most deserving one in the bunch this year. Wild he never managed to win a Vezina in his career.

--- End quote ---

Before they were the Hall of Fame class of 2012, Roberto Luongo used to intentionally troll the twins at practice by stopping blocker high shots with the shaft of his stick.

More nuggets from a historic HHOF class in this lengthy 1on1 with Luongo: https://t.co/Kt0V1Z1kQY pic.twitter.com/pVVVxvYimv— Thomas Drance (@ThomasDrance) June 28, 2022
--- End quote ---
Luongo has a Jedi-mode

herman:
You know who has as many 40 point seasons and a better contract than what's left on Josh Anderson's deal? The player the Senators just bought out.— Graeme Nichols (@GraemeNichols) July 6, 2022
--- End quote ---
Ottawa appears to be very smitten with Anderson and Dvorak and might be throwing that 1st rd pick onto the table

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version