Just for Fun > All Sports But Hockey

F1

<< < (3/3)

Nik:

--- Quote from: OldTimeHockey on August 30, 2021, 07:39:14 AM ---Been watching F1 for the last couple years. Drive to Survive helped me get more into it and also gave me a better understanding of the 'haves' and the 'have nots'.

--- End quote ---

It's shocking the effect a well made show like that can have. I went from someone who has absolutely no interest whatsoever in any sort of motorsport to reading articles about who Aston Martin will be going with next year.

I still don't watch much of the actual racing but I can't wait for the next season.

OldTimeHockey:

--- Quote from: Bender on September 19, 2021, 11:47:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: OldTimeHockey on August 30, 2021, 07:39:14 AM ---Been watching F1 for the last couple years. Drive to Survive helped me get more into it and also gave me a better understanding of the 'haves' and the 'have nots'. It's one of my gripes in the sport.

I didn't get to watch the actual race yesterday. Watched the rain for about 40 minutes before I brought my kid to hockey.

Side Note: If you get an opportunity to go to Montreal for F1(when it comes back), make sure to check it out. It's an amazing weekend. Make sure to be there for qualifying as well which is almost as fun as the race.

--- End quote ---
I think that actually might be changing going forward.

Anyone watch Monza last week? I caught the replay and Verstappen landed his tire on Hamilton's head. He's definitely lucky to be alive... Wow!

--- End quote ---

That halo is certainly a life saver.

Arn:

--- Quote from: Nik on September 20, 2021, 12:40:57 AM ---
--- Quote from: OldTimeHockey on August 30, 2021, 07:39:14 AM ---Been watching F1 for the last couple years. Drive to Survive helped me get more into it and also gave me a better understanding of the 'haves' and the 'have nots'.

--- End quote ---

It's shocking the effect a well made show like that can have. I went from someone who has absolutely no interest whatsoever in any sort of motorsport to reading articles about who Aston Martin will be going with next year.

I still don't watch much of the actual racing but I can't wait for the next season.

--- End quote ---

I loved F1 in the 80s and even through to the late 90s, so basically from being a kid to a late teen. But I really struggle now with watching the races in full. There's just not enough action and overtaking etc.

F1 is also behind the paywall now on subscription TV whereas it was on BBC every week when i was a kid so you got to develop your favourite drivers - often the British/Irish ones as they got the most coverage being the BBC so we had the great British v German rivalry in Hill v Schumacher.

So I really disliked Schumacher... until he joined Ferrari which is still my favourite car, so Schumacher became a favourite.

I find consuming F1 via Drive to Survive is much better now though, you see more of what's going on behind the scenes, get to know the drivers characters a bit more. It's just a shame it's a season behind, it would be a great way to be involved in an actual season.

OldTimeHockey:

--- Quote from: Arn on September 20, 2021, 08:44:57 AM ---
--- Quote from: Nik on September 20, 2021, 12:40:57 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I loved F1 in the 80s and even through to the late 90s, so basically from being a kid to a late teen. But I really struggle now with watching the races in full. There's just not enough action and overtaking etc.

F1 is also behind the paywall now on subscription TV whereas it was on BBC every week when i was a kid so you got to develop your favourite drivers - often the British/Irish ones as they got the most coverage being the BBC so we had the great British v German rivalry in Hill v Schumacher.

So I really disliked Schumacher... until he joined Ferrari which is still my favourite car, so Schumacher became a favourite.

I find consuming F1 via Drive to Survive is much better now though, you see more of what's going on behind the scenes, get to know the drivers characters a bit more. It's just a shame it's a season behind, it would be a great way to be involved in an actual season.

--- End quote ---

I wasn't an avid watcher in the 80's and 90's. I was aware of Schumacher and his main competition but I didn't pay much attention. My real introduction to the sport was live in Montreal. I think the event itself is what drove my interest, but like I said, it was still an interest in passing. Drive to Survive has placed me in a spot, like Nik, where I'm checking the stories out on where drivers are going etc; I also pay attention now to qualifying which I never use to do.

Bender:
That was an interesting race in Sochi last week. McLaren really should've pushed Lando onto the full wet tires instead of leaving it up to him to decide, but it definitely lead to a wild finish!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version