Just for Fun > All Sports But Hockey

12 Soccer Teams Announce Formation of European Super League

<< < (2/5) > >>

Significantly Insignificant:

--- Quote from: Nik on April 20, 2021, 03:12:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Deebo on April 20, 2021, 02:14:27 PM ---Reports have started to come out that Manchester City and Chelsea are withdrawing.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it looks like it's collapsing a day into the announcement.

That said, I still think this is just the start of trying to Americanize sports over there. I bet we hear of a huge labour issue within a few years as they try to implement some sort of wage cap.

--- End quote ---

Isn't part of what prevents the Americanization of Soccer though is that it is governed by UEFA and FIFA?

One of the hammers that was being thrown around if this super league went through was that any player that played in the non-sanctioned super league was going to be ineligible for World Cup and European Cup contention.

Nik:

--- Quote from: Significantly Insignificant on April 20, 2021, 03:17:08 PM ---Isn't part of what prevents the Americanization of Soccer though is that it is governed by UEFA and FIFA?

--- End quote ---

I'm not an expert in these things but I think you're right. Which is why this move, which sought to increase individual team's revenues at the expense of FIFA and UEFA, was met with such fierce opposition.

Given what I know about FIFA and UEFA though, I wouldn't be surprised to see a second attempt succeed so long as they got their slice of the pie. Or, as I said, make American-like changes that don't threaten their Champions League revenues.

Significantly Insignificant:

--- Quote from: Nik on April 20, 2021, 03:26:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: Significantly Insignificant on April 20, 2021, 03:17:08 PM ---Isn't part of what prevents the Americanization of Soccer though is that it is governed by UEFA and FIFA?

--- End quote ---

I'm not an expert in these things but I think you're right. Which is why this move, which sought to increase individual team's revenues at the expense of FIFA and UEFA, was met with such fierce opposition.

Given what I know about FIFA and UEFA though, I wouldn't be surprised to see a second attempt succeed so long as they got their slice of the pie. Or, as I said, make American-like changes that don't threaten their Champions League revenues.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, but that's what I think the problem is.  I think the thing that is eating in to the individual team profits is the FIFA and UEFA slice.  I mean it's already the most popular sport in the world, and the teams that want to break out are already the most marketable, so I think what they are looking for is more control over their own finances within their own league out from under the shadow of UEFA and FIFA.

Obviously the solution to all soccer's problems is another wealthy governing body.   

Nik:

--- Quote from: Significantly Insignificant on April 20, 2021, 04:45:36 PM ---Yeah, but that's what I think the problem is.  I think the thing that is eating in to the individual team profits is the FIFA and UEFA slice.  I mean it's already the most popular sport in the world, and the teams that want to break out are already the most marketable, so I think what they are looking for is more control over their own finances within their own league out from under the shadow of UEFA and FIFA.

--- End quote ---

Yeah but because I think nobody is kidding themselves about whether or not UEFA or FIFA are positive organizations, now it'll just be "what sort of crappy ways can we increase revenues or lower costs that they're on board with".

To be honest, I don't even know if these teams care all that much about revenues or costs in the short term. It seems like modern sports ownership is less about running a business well and making money off it than it is drastically changing the economics of the game, making their clubs more valuable and selling them off.

Arn:
It is entirely about finance as everyone pretty much realises. But the blatant greed seems to have been a step too far.

We’re now seeing the presidents of these clubs resigning as well. Massive fall out.

Touching on a couple of the things mentioned. The English premier league rules state a club can only play in a competition sanctioned by the EPL. Any vote needs a 2/3 majority. Which is of course 14/20... playing in an unsanctioned tournament is punishable by expulsion.

And yes, FIFA and UEFA would have the ability to ban players from those clubs from playing in world cups. Pretty much every player came out against it, anyway.

Every Liverpool player tweeted this, for example:

pic.twitter.com/X2ZFqJ9T4L— Jordan Henderson (@JHenderson) April 20, 2021
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version