Author Topic: Leafs sign TJ Brodie [4 years, 5M AAV]  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs sign TJ Brodie [4 years, 5M AAV]
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2020, 12:09:57 PM »

Can you describe that skill set and what makes it more sought after than what Brodie's?

A little more dangerous offensively, can QB a powerplay.
We have Lethonen for that.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2020, 12:41:58 PM »
The more I think about it, the less wild I am about the idea of taking Kerfoot off the roster. He might be .5-1M higher than ideal, but he really played a good utility role.
Yeah but the more I think about it the more that maybe we need a defensive forward in that 3C role. Kerfoot looks more like a winger than a C and it that's the case I think it makes some sense to get assets back. You've got to churn the roster and keep getting value back.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »
The more I think about it, the less wild I am about the idea of taking Kerfoot off the roster. He might be .5-1M higher than ideal, but he really played a good utility role.
Yeah but the more I think about it the more that maybe we need a defensive forward in that 3C role. Kerfoot looks more like a winger than a C and it that's the case I think it makes some sense to get assets back. You've got to churn the roster and keep getting value back.

This is where Thornton in at $1m or something would be nice. 

I'm still of the opinion that guys like Kerfoot and Johnsson aren't of much trade value right now with all the UFA guys out there for zero talent cost.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2020, 12:57:46 PM »
I would keep Kerfoot for one more year, keep him at 3rd C and not move him about like a chess piece, his possession numbers are very good.  Trade Johnsson if need be and get Souperman and Dermott signed.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
I would keep Kerfoot for one more year, keep him at 3rd C and not move him about like a chess piece, his possession numbers are very good.  Trade Johnsson if need be and get Souperman and Dermott signed.
I'm keeping Kerfoot if possible also. Johnsson can go. Nice player but we need the space.

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2020, 01:39:11 PM »
When am I going to learn to not read the comments on Sportsnet. You?d think the leafs just signed Aki Berg to a 100 million contract the way they?re thrashing this.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »
Simmons actually gives Dubas praise on yesterday's signings, perhaps they can be friends after all and then goes on to say this bonehead remark:  "And in fairness, the Leafs didn?t win all that much this past interrupted season".  I guess they won enough to get into a playoff chance.
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline .

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2020, 02:11:46 PM »
Simmons actually gives Dubas praise on yesterday's signings, perhaps they can be friends after all and then goes on to say this bonehead remark:  "And in fairness, the Leafs didn?t win all that much this past interrupted season".  I guess they won enough to get into a playoff chance.

I disagree. The season, on a whole was far, far below expectations, and Simmons, despite his warts, has a perfectly valid take.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2020, 02:14:38 PM »

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2020, 02:18:44 PM »
Is Lehtonen playing the right side in Finland right now?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2020, 02:21:03 PM »

I believe he's playing on the left. Dubas said yesterday they expect Dermott to be the one to slide to the right side as well.

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2020, 02:23:32 PM »

I believe he's playing on the left. Dubas said yesterday they expect Dermott to be the one to slide to the right side as well.

Good point.

I read that yesterday, and I'm not sure I'm convinced that Dermott can do that job well enough.

I have to think that having Dermott over there would be worst case scenario.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2020, 02:26:38 PM »
Good point.

I read that yesterday, and I'm not sure I'm convinced that Dermott can do that job well enough.

I'm not the biggest Dermott fan when it comes to his potential in becoming a top-4 defender but as a bottom pairing guy he should do very well regardless of the side he's playing on. And at like $1-1.25mil I'm not sure you're finding someone much better. I mean Borowiecki signed for $2mil.

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2020, 02:35:27 PM »
Good point.

I'm not the biggest Dermott fan when it comes to his potential in becoming a top-4 defender but as a bottom pairing guy he should do very well regardless of the side he's playing on. And at like $1-1.25mil I'm not sure you're finding someone much better. I mean Borowiecki signed for $2mil.

I'm hoping Liljegren has a camp. 

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2020, 03:13:22 PM »
Good point.

I'm hoping Liljegren has a camp.

I?m hoping Lehtonen comes to camp even better than advertised and that Sandin finds an even higher level of play than last season. If TJ fits in to this group without missing a beat our D should be much improved.

I really want to believe not pursuing Pietrangelo with everything Dubas could throw at him was the right move. I hope I?m proved wrong in believing a vital piece of the puzzle Was within our grasp but we let it slip away.  >:(

Brodie does look like a fine addition . Just hope these pickups move the needle enough .
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:18:58 PM by RedLeaf »
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.