Author Topic: Leafs sign TJ Brodie [4 years, 5M AAV]  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs sign TJ Brodie [4 years, 5M AAV]
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2020, 12:45:31 AM »
Okay I need a clarification here (cc: Deebo, busta, et al.), because Johnston saying the Leafs "don't have to protect Brodie" can be interpreted two ways.

If we want to keep Muzzin and Brodie past the expansion, we can opt to protect them, right? But because their contracts are NTCs for the Seattle expansion season, we could leave them exposed if the fit wasn't right.

So if we land Weegar to go along with Reilly, Muzzin, Brodie, that's 4 D we'd like to keep and we'd have to go 8-1 and lose Dermott.

When Johnston says "don't have to", I'm pretty sure he just means they aren't forced to.

They do have to if they prevent Seattle from taking them.

Yeah, if they go 8+1, its those 4D that you mention, + the top 4 forwards.

Lose one of whoever is left here out of Johnsson, Kerfoot and Dermott.

Thanks... because it really read like, oh they're basically exempt from the draft.

Our expansion draft used to be so straightforward last year. It's nice having too many good players.

It really isn't that bad if all we are looking at is losing one of Johnsson, Dermott or Kerfoot.

If one of these players finds another level and are good enough to be upset about losing for nothing then they might be able to be traded ahead of the expansion draft to a team who has an expansion slot available.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2020, 12:46:15 AM »
Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Lehtonen

This is so immensely better than having Barrie and Ceci occupying two of these spaces.

Anybody think Liljegren can bust his way into the lineup?  I'd hate to see him get lost in the shuffle until he's had more of a chance.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2020, 12:52:27 AM »
Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Lehtonen

This is so immensely better than having Barrie and Ceci occupying two of these spaces.

Anybody think Liljegren can bust his way into the lineup?  I'd hate to see him get lost in the shuffle until he's had more of a chance.
Nothing wrong leaving Liljegren on the Marlies. He's only 21 and if Lehtonen is as good as they say, they may not be able to afford him in 21/22

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2020, 12:59:51 AM »
Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Lehtonen

Nothing wrong leaving Liljegren on the Marlies. He's only 21 and if Lehtonen is as good as they say, they may not be able to afford him in 21/22

True all, and I understand that they may need him there for cap savings alone, especially at the start of the season as part of Pridham's Two-Step.  But he is, potentially, the RHD we need.  Or a RHD we need, anyway.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2020, 01:21:18 AM »
Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Lehtonen

True all, and I understand that they may need him there for cap savings alone, especially at the start of the season as part of Pridham's Two-Step.  But he is, potentially, the RHD we need.  Or a RHD we need, anyway.
I think he'll be on the team eventually. I like him.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2020, 07:14:23 AM »
So I decided to check out another Leafs forum to see what they thought of Brodie, FA, and the draft.....and I just want to say how glad I am to be here and how much I love you guys...  :-*

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2020, 07:42:37 AM »
 :-* (_!_)
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2020, 08:11:27 AM »
So I decided to check out another Leafs forum to see what they thought of Brodie, FA, and the draft.....and I just want to say how glad I am to be here and how much I love you guys...  :-*
Editor In Leaf by chance? AKA The Dubas Sucks site.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2020, 08:34:57 AM »
Editor In Leaf by chance? AKA The Dubas Sucks site.

No, this one has message boards for all of the teams and a penchant for "lol's" that would put habsforever to shame.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2020, 10:04:03 AM »
:-* (_!_)

Herman, you truly are the b-hole king ;)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2020, 10:45:18 AM »
Tanev for 4.5 over 4 to Calgary kind of undercuts the notion that this was an overpay.

I mean Justin Schultz of all people got $4mil (albeit on just a 2 year deal).

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2020, 10:47:50 AM »
Brodie isn't a big PK guy, looks as though he's a second unit guy.

Anyone think we could use another Ceci like PK guy?  Weeger looks like a second unit guy as well.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2020, 10:53:23 AM »
Brodie isn't a big PK guy, looks as though he's a second unit guy.

Anyone think we could use another Ceci like PK guy?  Weeger looks like a second unit guy as well.

I'm not sure players are really locked in to 1st or 2nd units based on their past. But this coming season I'd imagine the Leafs would run Muzzin-Holl (or Weegar) first and then Rielly/Dermott-Brodie second.

Offline .

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2020, 11:27:22 AM »
The more I think about it, the less wild I am about the idea of taking Kerfoot off the roster. He might be .5-1M higher than ideal, but he really played a good utility role.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2020, 11:39:52 AM »
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed