Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Armchair GM 2019-2020

Started by herman, May 23, 2019, 10:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bustaheims

Quote from: AvroArrow on February 21, 2020, 07:11:33 PM
Quote from: bustaheims on February 21, 2020, 07:07:17 PM
The Severson deal is close to workable. I'd pass on the Manson one.

See, I'm the opposite.  I'd rather keep Engvall over Kapanen long-term, and I think Dermott is expendable with Sandin ready for the show.

I'm just looking at the value. That's more than I'd give up for Manson (or Severson, if the deals were flipped). The value going out for Severson is much more palatable.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

AvroArrow

Fair enough.  I'm ok with giving to get, if the get is good.

CarltonTheBear

It's pretty obvious what happened with this "Mike" fella. He's either friends or friends of a friend with one of the players involved in the trade. That's how he got advanced notice. That doesn't make him an insider in any way though. He's just trying to get twitter famous off of that. You'll notice he's also advertised some betting company he's involved with in some way. It's all a grift. Don't pay him any attention.

He's also said the Leafs were after Larsson. Surprise surprise. That's 3 of the big name RHD on the market so now if the Leafs get any of them he can act like he called it.

AvroArrow

I've removed the source of the trade ideas from my original post, since it obviously resulted in the wrong discussion/direction.

I figured everyone would know to consider him not legit and that there would be no harm just linking the tweet, which seemed easier at the time.

CarltonTheBear

Even ignoring the source, I doubt either of those trades would work for the other team. Didn't Friedman or someone way that Anaheim would need more than Kapanen for Manson? And I think that makes sense since he has 2 years of contract left vs. someone I've suggested like Savard who only has 1 year left after this one. And Severson is New Jersey's top defenceman, 25, and signed for 3 more seasons. He's getting more than a 3rd/4th liner, a good but not high level prospect, and a 2nd round pick.

AvroArrow

It's Kapanen + Dermott.

And have we decided Engvall has no potential now?

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: AvroArrow on February 21, 2020, 08:26:48 PM
It's Kapanen + Dermott.

And have we decided Engvall has no potential now?

Ah I missed the Dermott part. Ok value wise it might be there. Just depends on how much Anaheim wants to move Manson. I said before I don't really get why they would.

As for Engvall, I like him as a player but I think he sorta maxes out as a 3rd line guy who can hang on a 2nd line with say Tavares/Nylander or Matthews/Marner but still a 3rd line guy. Most other teams don't have those duos he can piggyback on.

AvroArrow

I think it's much too early to assess Engvall as just a bottom 6 guy.  I agree his top 6 play has benefited from our big dawgs, but even on the 3rd line, he shows good skill and a high IQ.

Zee

Seravalli saying Leafs have had discussions with Calgary, Barrie for Brodie one for one. I guess Dubas really wants Brodie

Dappleganger

Quote from: Zee on February 21, 2020, 09:25:47 PM
Seravalli saying Leafs have had discussions with Calgary, Barrie for Brodie one for one. I guess Dubas really wants Brodie

I think Dubas just really likes the analogy of 'shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic'.

hockeyfan1

Brodie's only upside would be this:

QuoteAlthough his numbers haven't been overly impressive this year, his ability to play the right side as a left shooting defenceman makes him a rare asset that other teams covet.

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/flames-players-trade-deadline-2020

herman

Trade chatter roundups
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2020/02/22/toronto-maple-leafs-rumours-february-22/

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2020/02/21/toronto-maple-leafs-rumours-february-21/

Largely the same things being said across the board:
Barrie is now the belle of the backend as a moveable piece on the market due to not being a long term fit for the Leafs and sporting a very nice cap hit. Leafs are looking for someone to commit to and it might take a threeway to figure out. Of course it's very hard to arrange one of those on a tight deadline to ensure everyone is comfortable.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: herman on February 22, 2020, 10:02:08 AM
Trade chatter roundups
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2020/02/22/toronto-maple-leafs-rumours-february-22/

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2020/02/21/toronto-maple-leafs-rumours-february-21/

Largely the same things being said across the board:
Barrie is now the belle of the backend as a moveable piece on the market due to not being a long term fit for the Leafs and sporting a very nice cap hit. Leafs are looking for someone to commit to and it might take a threeway to figure out. Of course it's very hard to arrange one of those on a tight deadline to ensure everyone is comfortable.

Highlander

Don't want to give up Engvall or Kapanen, at this point my man would be Johnsson, it someone would take on the injury, throw in Dermott if you have to.  Rielly, Muzz, Sandin with Kivihalme almost ready gives us a good LHD presence.  Now if Dermott could play the RHD that may be different.
Barrie is our largest trading chip at this point.  He has been a major disappointment.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

herman

If Tyson Barrie stopped shooting the puck from above the circles, he'd be the best RHD rental for the Leafs.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed