Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Wayne Simmonds incidents

Started by oldman, September 23, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarge

Quote from: Saint Nik on September 27, 2011, 06:29:05 PM
Brian Burke weighs in:

Burke: "It's got to stop."

Quote"If that happened, that is just so embarrassing and the league should not tolerate it," Burke said. "That should be treated on the same level as a racially charged incident. It's the same level of offensiveness and inappropriateness."
"I stopped. It's possible to stop and the league should definitely feel the need to use discipline in fines or suspensions."

Burke also did say though IIRC (paraphrasing) that he doesn't believe the word/slurs (used in a heated exchange during a hockey game) is/are necessarily a reflection of the player's views. Is it wrong? Yes. Offensive to most? Yes. A suspendable offense? I'm not so sure. Perhaps the NHL equivalent of washing the guy's mouth out with soap would be to fine him.

Deebo

Quote from: Floyd on September 28, 2011, 09:54:14 AM
Brian Burke weighs in:

Quote"If that happened, that is just so embarrassing and the league should not tolerate it," Burke said. "That should be treated on the same level as a racially charged incident. It's the same level of offensiveness and inappropriateness."
"I stopped. It's possible to stop and the league should definitely feel the need to use discipline in fines or suspensions."

Burke also did say though IIRC (paraphrasing) that he doesn't believe the word/slurs (used in a heated exchange during a hockey game) is/are necessarily a reflection of the player's views. Is it wrong? Yes. Offensive to most? Yes. A suspendable offense? I'm not so sure. Perhaps the NHL equivalent of washing the guy's mouth out with soap would be to fine him.

The only problem with fining is $2500 is the maximum under the CBA.

Sarge

Quote from: Deebo on September 28, 2011, 09:59:54 AM
Brian Burke weighs in:

The only problem with fining is $2500 is the maximum under the CBA.

Well, like I said that's pretty much a soap wash and all I think this probably deserves. Now, if he says it twice in the same exchange, can the league fine $5000? What about in the same game twice?

Mordac

They would fine based on the incident, not how many times it was said.

Sarge

Yeah, that would be my feeling too. Perhaps the NHL sould meet with the PA to re-work the max. fine depending on the situation but really, I'm not sure we need to come down harder on these guys then that given almost all of these are in the heat of physical combat.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Mordac on September 28, 2011, 12:15:06 AM
Quote from: Saint Nik on September 27, 2011, 11:48:55 PM
Quote from: Potvin29 on September 27, 2011, 11:35:16 PM
Speaking of which, has anyone seen that video on youtube with Bryan Trottier (and I forget who else) on the North Stars just giving it to another player from the bench?

If you look for it, beware: the language is extremely offensive.

That would be Kevin Stevens with Trottier giving it to Brian Bellows.

I remember that!
See my post above.......

Mordac

Quote from: Guilt Trip on September 28, 2011, 11:56:21 AM
Speaking of which, has anyone seen that video on youtube with Bryan Trottier (and I forget who else) on the North Stars just giving it to another player from the bench?

I remember that!
See my post above.......

I don't remember that one.

Stronger Than All

Quote from: Guilt Trip on September 28, 2011, 11:56:21 AM

I remember that!
See my post above.......

Someone also made a "history will be made" parody of that.

Potvin29

Someone's been charged...

QuoteLONDON, ONT.— Police have charged a 26-year-old man over an apparent racial incident in which a banana was thrown on the ice at a black player during an NHL pre-season game.

Police say Chris Moorhouse of London, Ont., has been served a summons for engaging in a prohibited activity under the provincial trespassing act.

If convicted, he faces a fine of up to $2,000.

The incident occurred last Thursday during the Philadelphia Flyers' 4-3 exhibition win over the Detroit Red Wings.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/1061091--man-charged-in-banana-throwing-incident-at-nhl-game?bn=1

You're right

Quote from: Potvin29 on September 28, 2011, 01:05:04 PM
Someone's been charged...

QuoteLONDON, ONT.— Police have charged a 26-year-old man over an apparent racial incident in which a banana was thrown on the ice at a black player during an NHL pre-season game.

Police say Chris Moorhouse of London, Ont., has been served a summons for engaging in a prohibited activity under the provincial trespassing act.

If convicted, he faces a fine of up to $2,000.

The incident occurred last Thursday during the Philadelphia Flyers' 4-3 exhibition win over the Detroit Red Wings.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/1061091--man-charged-in-banana-throwing-incident-at-nhl-game?bn=1
Wonder if they'll serve him banana bread in jail?
There's valid reasons for the limited interest. Get out of your basement if you dare. The real world will bend you over.
Adios Chachi

Michael

How can anyone prove why he threw the banana? Regardless of how it looks, how is this anything more than littering?

Sarge

Quote from: Fanatic on September 28, 2011, 01:29:03 PM
How can anyone prove why he threw the banana? Regardless of how it looks, how is this anything more than littering?

Well apart from the racial connotations, there's potential for a player to get hurt.

Michael

Quote from: Floyd on September 28, 2011, 01:46:42 PM

Well apart from the racial connotations, there's potential for a player to get hurt.

The guy can come back and say that he threw it a long way away from the player with the intent to distract him and nothing more. No one can prove that it was racially motivated (unless the guy said so to others around him as he did it) and no one can prove that he intended harm to Simmonds.

Nik

The NHL: Leaving the moral high ground to Sean Avery and the NBA.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Sarge

Quote from: Fanatic on September 28, 2011, 01:56:34 PM
Quote from: Floyd on September 28, 2011, 01:46:42 PM

The guy can come back and say that he threw it a long way away from the player with the intent to distract him and nothing more. No one can prove that it was racially motivated (unless the guy said so to others around him as he did it) and no one can prove that he intended harm to Simmonds.

I'm no legal expert but I'm pretty comfortable with the feeling that there isn't a lawyer on the planet that could get him off a charge based on player safety regadless of his intent.