It's FREE to join and post in our forums.  Click to join now!

Leafs Extend Engvall...1 Year 2.25M

Started by Guilt Trip, July 17, 2022, 04:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarltonTheBear

Feels like about $500k too much. Especially on just a 1-year deal. This was a tough one to find comparables for though. Sometimes you see a 30 point penalty killer get $3mil, sometimes it's just over $1mil. They're really all over the place.
  •  

Guilt Trip

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 17, 2022, 05:05:02 PM
Feels like about $500k too much. Especially on just a 1-year deal. This was a tough one to find comparables for though. Sometimes you see a 30 point penalty killer get $3mil, sometimes it's just over $1mil. They're really all over the place.
Seeing him and Mikheyev are literally tied in pts/60 at 5v5, I think it's a fair deal. Mikheyev was a little better on the PP.
  •  

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Guilt Trip on July 17, 2022, 05:08:40 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 17, 2022, 05:05:02 PM
Seeing him and Mikheyev are literally tied in pts/60 at 5v5, I think it's a fair deal. Mikheyev was a little better on the PP.

Engvall's problem has always been his consistency. When he's playing his best hockey: that's skating fast, forechecking hard, showing a little bit of snarl, and carrying the puck into the offensive zone with control I think he's a more impactful player than Mikheyev. But there's also still long stretches in his game where he's a lot more invisible or at worse making dumb decisions with the puck and giving it away and that generally doesn't get said about Mikheyev. So $2.25mil for him not be that bad of a deal for a lot of teams, but for the Leafs I think they needed a little better value for a player like him. Like I wonder what Danton Heinen gets, because other than one being 6'5" I think they're very similar players and Heinen might sign for about half of this.

edit: didn't realize Heinen didn't kill penalties with Pittsburgh this past season, although he did the season before that with Anaheim. That'll obviously knock his cap hit down
  •  

Nik

Honestly, it seems like the kind of news that should not even raise the mildest of interest other than the fact that we have to parse over every single dollar to determine if it's good "value".

Engvall is not an ideal player at this price but realistically, the Leafs system being what it is, there isn't a ready to go replacement and anyone significantly cheaper is likely to be commensurately not as good so...there you go.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi
  •  

CarltonTheBear

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Kampf-Jarnkrok
______-______-NAK

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Giordano-Liljegren

Murray
Samsonov

Roster still needs at least 2 forwards and one defenceman. There's $1.669mil to fill those spots. Add two league minimum forwards and there's $169,384 in cap space. Don't gotta be a CBA expert to know that's not enough to sign Sandin.
  •  

CarltonTheBear

I do really like Engvall, both as a player and even as a person. Last season was really his first "full" season in the NHL so hopefully there's another step for him to take where he's able to play with more consistency.
  •  

Deebo

I think he would have gotten this in arbitration.
  •  

azzurri63

Not crazy about it. Playoffs showed what he brings to the table and Dubas and company should see that. For a guy his size no physicality whatsoever. I would rather have seen a younger player get an opportunity to fill some of these spots.
  •  

azzurri63

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 17, 2022, 05:24:08 PM
Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Kampf-Jarnkrok
______-______-NAK

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Giordano-Liljegren

Murray
Samsonov

Roster still needs at least 2 forwards and one defenceman. There's $1.669mil to fill those spots. Add two league minimum forwards and there's $169,384 in cap space. Don't gotta be a CBA expert to know that's not enough to sign Sandin.

I think Dubas' infatuation with some players is a detriment to this team. I like Sandin and I think he's one of those guys Dubas loves so don't see him going anywhere. Somebody else has to go and hopefully it's Holl for me but another player for some reason that gets a lot of love from management. Going to be interesting something has to give to finish this roster.
  •  

princedpw

Quote from: Nik on July 17, 2022, 05:18:32 PM
Honestly, it seems like the kind of news that should not even raise the mildest of interest other than the fact that we have to parse over every single dollar to determine if it's good "value".

This.

Why is the cap so tight and hard.  If only we had an nba-style soft cap at least ...
  •  

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed
  •  

herman

Waaaaiiiit we've been crediting Bergman with this 7th rd success when it was Morrison that overruled and picked the giraffe?!
#BeBlessed
  •  

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: herman on July 17, 2022, 10:55:15 PM
Waaaaiiiit we've been crediting Bergman with this 7th rd success when it was Morrison that overruled and picked the giraffe?!

What other lies have we been fed?
  •  

herman

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 18, 2022, 09:20:07 AM
Quote from: herman on July 17, 2022, 10:55:15 PM

What other lies have we been fed?

This was just the presumption  :'(
#BeBlessed
  •