New York Rangers (M2) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3)

Started by CarltonTheBear, May 30, 2022, 11:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


CarltonTheBear

Don't think it's the most important thing ever, but kinda funny to think that the Rangers have home-ice advantage here.

Tampa's the better team and should win this but honestly I don't think an upset would be the most surprising thing in the world. Especially if Point remains out or is playing at half strength.

The Rangers seem like they've been a little underrated coming into playoffs. They have the best goalie in the world (although Vasilevskiy is certainly trying to earn that title back), the reigning Norris trophy winner who put up another terrific season and likely just barely missed out on a nomination this season, arguably a top 5-ish winger in hockey, the 3rd highest goal scorer in the league this season, and a point per game centre. A lack of depth was generally their biggest problem during the season and something that Shesterkin was able to cover for but all their deadline moves to address that problem really seem to be paying off (Copp, Motte, Vatrano, Braun).
  •  

herman

Is it weird to play your farm team in the playoffs
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed
  •  

CarltonTheBear

  •  

Nik

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 31, 2022, 09:51:10 AM
Don't think it's the most important thing ever, but kinda funny to think that the Rangers have home-ice advantage here.

Tampa's the better team and should win this but honestly I don't think an upset would be the most surprising thing in the world. Especially if Point remains out or is playing at half strength.

The Rangers seem like they've been a little underrated coming into playoffs. They have the best goalie in the world (although Vasilevskiy is certainly trying to earn that title back), the reigning Norris trophy winner who put up another terrific season and likely just barely missed out on a nomination this season, arguably a top 5-ish winger in hockey, the 3rd highest goal scorer in the league this season, and a point per game centre. A lack of depth was generally their biggest problem during the season and something that Shesterkin was able to cover for but all their deadline moves to address that problem really seem to be paying off (Copp, Motte, Vatrano, Braun).

Agreed. I know the inclination is to assign most of it to Shesterkin but a 110 point team is going to be pretty good regardless. I still lean Lightning here but I think you'd be hard pressed to even call it an upset if the Rangers moved on.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi
  •  

bustaheims

Bolts in 5. Everything is just clicking for Tampa right now, while the Rangers are coming off a pair of hard fought 7 game series.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
  •  

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed
  •  

RedLeaf

Quote from: bustaheims on May 31, 2022, 12:10:47 PM
Bolts in 5. Everything is just clicking for Tampa right now, while the Rangers are coming off a pair of hard fought 7 game series.

Agreed. Its hard seeing anything other than an Avs-T-Bay Final.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.
  •  

L K

Quote from: Nik on May 31, 2022, 12:05:42 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 31, 2022, 09:51:10 AM
Don't think it's the most important thing ever, but kinda funny to think that the Rangers have home-ice advantage here.

Tampa's the better team and should win this but honestly I don't think an upset would be the most surprising thing in the world. Especially if Point remains out or is playing at half strength.

The Rangers seem like they've been a little underrated coming into playoffs. They have the best goalie in the world (although Vasilevskiy is certainly trying to earn that title back), the reigning Norris trophy winner who put up another terrific season and likely just barely missed out on a nomination this season, arguably a top 5-ish winger in hockey, the 3rd highest goal scorer in the league this season, and a point per game centre. A lack of depth was generally their biggest problem during the season and something that Shesterkin was able to cover for but all their deadline moves to address that problem really seem to be paying off (Copp, Motte, Vatrano, Braun).

Agreed. I know the inclination is to assign most of it to Shesterkin but a 110 point team is going to be pretty good regardless. I still lean Lightning here but I think you'd be hard pressed to even call it an upset if the Rangers moved on.

Yeah.  I don't think the Rangers win this but I don't think we should consider it a huge upset.  The team with the best goaltender can often win and Shesterkin this year is the better goaltender.

Tampa was on a better roll through the second round but they also sat around for an extra week waiting for the Rangers to finish their series.  That can cool teams off sometimes and at this time of year it's not minor aches and pains its what parts aren't being held together with tape.  Rest can make these guys stiffen up .
  •  

4EVRLEAFAN

  •  

Nik


Andrei who?

It's funny that when we talk about how good the Rangers are/aren't we almost never talk about how their third line has a #1 and #2 pick on it.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi
  •  

Bender

Well that's not the start I thought we'd see for Tampa, but we've seen this movie before. Let's see how it goes.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender
  •  

Guilt Trip

They looked like a team that has been of for 9 days.
  •  

4EVRLEAFAN

Well game 1 looked a bit familiar, lets see what happens in game 2. Tampa was and still is very beatable, lets see if NY can keep it up and take them down.
  •  

bustaheims

Quote from: Guilt Trip on June 01, 2022, 11:25:00 PM
They looked like a team that has been of for 9 days.

Basically, yeah. They were not quite in sync. They'll be better in game 2.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
  •