Other Hockey News & Views > CHL & NCAA Hockey

Women's hockey

<< < (3/16) > >>

hockeyfan1:
Wanna fight?!  You go, girls!

That's exactly what ensued between Team Canada & Team USA as the two rivals are participating in a series of exhibition games leading up to Sochi 2014.

What appeared to be a slight 'head hit' on Canadian goalkeeper Shannon Szabados by American Monique Lamoureux initiated the line brawl.

It's not the first time this has happened.

So, as Team Canada's Tess Bonhomme tweeted, "Women's hockey, boring?!"    As they say in Russian, nyet!

See more:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/women-hockey-line-brawl-highlights-hate-between-usa-025849473--nhl.html

oakl0008:
Yesterday, eight weeks before the Olympics, Team Canada's head coach Dan Church has stepped down. It was cited originally as "personal reasons", then later he mentioned that the powers that be did not have "confidence in what he was doing" with the team moving forward.

Another note: They did not try to convince him to stay after he offered his resignation AND he did not attend the official press conference of this announcement nor did he personally say his goodbyes to the team before flying back to Toronto.

This all happened yesterday morning, the same day of a Canada-USA exhibition series in Calgary in which the USA totally dominated (I watched the game) and won 5-1. If it weren't for Canada's goalie, the score would have been more lopsided. This is just speculation, but there have been rumblings that this may have to do with a couple of veterans that voiced their displeasure with being left off of the Four Nations Cup roster (in which Canada won). I'm not saying who belongs on the roster or not, but something is not right here.

And I think we can all agree that THIS close to the Olympics, this doesn't look too good.

More here:  http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=438828#YourCallTop

hockeyfan1:

--- Quote from: oakl0008 on December 13, 2013, 01:24:03 PM ---Yesterday, eight weeks before the Olympics, Team Canada's head coach Dan Church has stepped down. It was cited originally as "personal reasons", then later he mentioned that the powers that be did not have "confidence in what he was doing" with the team moving forward.

Another note: They did not try to convince him to stay after he offered his resignation AND he did not attend the official press conference of this announcement nor did he personally say his goodbyes to the team before flying back to Toronto.

This all happened yesterday morning, the same day of a Canada-USA exhibition series in Calgary in which the USA totally dominated (I watched the game) and won 5-1. If it weren't for Canada's goalie, the score would have been more lopsided. This is just speculation, but there have been rumblings that this may have to do with a couple of veterans that voiced their displeasure with being left off of the Four Nations Cup roster (in which Canada won). I'm not saying who belongs on the roster or not, but something is not right here.

And I think we can all agree that THIS close to the Olympics, this doesn't look too good.

More here:  http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=438828#YourCallTop

--- End quote ---

That's quite surprising in that Church hasn't fared too badly in his tenure as the Women's National team coach.  (Melody Davidson has been the most successful in the short time that she was there.  Too bad she's in a managerial position with the team).

Not sure Goyette or Haley have much experience behind the bench.

Also, aren't there some of the team's older veterans, such as Hayley Wickenheiser, who perhaps should hang up the skates and take up a position within the team's organization, while giving way to a speedier player or two?  I'm doubtful Canada can match the U.S. speed anymore.  Don't mean to pan Wickenheiser.  Afterall she's been one of the country's best-ever women's hockey players, but it seemed that she's had trouble against speedier teams (such as the U.S.).

The above seems to be implied in the article, as some people are voicing their concern with roster changes that have not been made for the benefit of the team as a whole.

Don't know.  We'll just have to wait and see and hope they can be successful for Olympic gold.

hockeyfan1:
World University Winter Games ( FlSU) in Italy, Team Canada lashes it's opponents 21-0 over Spain...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/canada-university-hockey-teams-smash-opposition-openers-italy-032857924.html

Stickytape:

--- Quote from: hockeyfan1 on December 15, 2013, 01:59:35 AM ---World University Winter Games ( FlSU) in Italy, Team Canada lashes it's opponents 21-0 over Spain...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/canada-university-hockey-teams-smash-opposition-openers-italy-032857924.html

--- End quote ---

"Spain, playing its first-ever FISU contest, registered just two shots, both coming in the third period."

Ouch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version