Author Topic: Seattle Expansion Draft  (Read 5319 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Seattle Expansion Draft
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2021, 10:21:56 PM »
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2021, 10:27:24 PM »
They are otherwise angling to be West Coast Nashville
#BeBlessed

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2021, 10:27:24 PM »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2021, 11:46:09 AM »
MTL: gee, we have to find a suitor for Jake, or else we could lose him
Price: I volunteer as tribute (he literally signed the NMC waiving ahead of the deadline because MTL didn't ask)

MTL: We couldn't figure anything out with Jake, so thank you Carey, we will take you up on your offer to be exposed. I don't think they'll take you with the contract you earned.

SEA: Wow, Carey Price, eh? We will consider this wonderful happenstance. Price's wife is from Washington, dontchaknow, and we would love to have such a wonderful person headlining our new franchise

MTL: *Sweating*  Uh, well... actually... uh... his hips and everything are very broken... just falling right off right now, so he'll likely miss next season, yeah.

SEA: We have decided it is not in our best interest to pick Carey Price

MTL:
#BeBlessed

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 22, 2021, 12:28:01 PM »
In humankind's never-ending Quest for Truth, don't bother ringing up NHL GMs.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 22, 2021, 12:29:18 PM »
Like, there was no way Seattle was picking Jake Allen anyway. I'm still baffled they took that risk.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2021, 02:39:16 PM »

Obviously we don't know what their actual line combinations might be and there's still plenty of time for them to make moves with all their cap space and yes Vegas surprised with their roster in their first season but the more I think about their expansion draft the less I like it.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2021, 02:41:14 PM »
They've set themselves up to be big players in the UFA market and as cap brokers on short-term deals. It's not a great strategy for immediate success, but could work better in terms of developing a longer-term foundation. They might actually be able to build some prospect capital.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2021, 02:42:25 PM »
Uh, have you guys seen who is projected to be #1/2/3 in next year's entry draft?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:44:19 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2021, 02:45:15 PM »
They've set themselves up to be big players in the UFA market and as cap brokers on short-term deals. It's not a great strategy for immediate success, but could work better in terms of developing a longer-term foundation. They might actually be able to build some prospect capital.

They've already missed a big chance to do that though with the expansion draft. Vegas was able to get 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders in their draft in part because they took on Clarkson and Grabovski's contract. Seattle though decides to take a complete scrub from Philly instead of getting a sweetener to pick GhostBear's contract like Arizona did.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2021, 02:49:42 PM »
Uh, have you guys seen who is projected to be #1/2/3 in next year's entry draft?

a) I don't think they're gonna do very well but they also won't be Buffalo/Detroit/San Jose/Ottawa bad and b) this strategy would be fine if they're intending to tank but I don't think picks/signings like Larsson and Oleksiak really signal that was their plan.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2021, 02:50:33 PM »

They've already missed a big chance to do that though with the expansion draft. Vegas was able to get 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders in their draft in part because they took on Clarkson and Grabovski's contract. Seattle though decides to take a complete scrub from Philly instead of getting a sweetener to pick GhostBear's contract like Arizona did.

I guess they felt it would be more prudent to use the cap space on independent moves and as a 3rd party cap broker. Teams were reportedly more hesitant to pay the kind of prices they did with Vegas (understandably, considering how that worked out in a number of cases) and Seattle was apparently asking an even higher price for that type of deal around the expansion draft.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Bill_Berg_is_sad

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 22, 2021, 02:51:33 PM »

I see Justin Cote is set to go 32nd.

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 22, 2021, 02:56:04 PM »
We sure that "projected" bottom six is real actual hockey players?

Online Guilt Trip

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 22, 2021, 03:16:01 PM »

Seattle though decides to take a complete scrub from Philly instead of getting a sweetener to pick GhostBear's contract like Arizona did.
I guess they were asking for too much...

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2021, 03:36:34 PM »

Seattle though decides to take a complete scrub from Philly instead of getting a sweetener to pick GhostBear's contract like Arizona did.
I guess they were asking for too much...

We$t Coa$t
#BeBlessed