Previous topic - Next topic

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed
  •  

leafsjunkie

Quote from: herman on July 22, 2022, 03:45:00 PM
Swedish torches are dope

Yasss! I love watching those type of video's. Also Stealth camping/camp fires/dugouts etc...  Fun stuff.
  •  

herman

Quote from: leafsjunkie on July 22, 2022, 03:47:18 PM
Swedish torches are dope

Yasss! I love watching those type of video's. Also Stealth camping/camp fires/dugouts etc...  Fun stuff.

I loved MCQ Bushcraft (he has since retired from videos probably due to the demonetization of anything to do with knives and hunting). Super practical without going full prepper overboard.
#BeBlessed
  •  

LittleHockeyFan

Quote from: leafsjunkie on July 22, 2022, 01:56:23 PM
I have a four day camping trip coming up at the end of August, all the way up near Kirkland Lake (Esker Lakes Provincial Park). Haven't camped in 16 years, it's like a 7 hour drive away, with my wife, kid and dog.... I'll see if I come back with the same attitude.  ;D
enjoy! the dog especially, will love it!
  •  

leafsjunkie

Quote from: herman on July 22, 2022, 04:45:21 PM
Quote from: leafsjunkie on July 22, 2022, 03:47:18 PM
Swedish torches are dope

I loved MCQ Bushcraft (he has since retired from videos probably due to the demonetization of anything to do with knives and hunting). Super practical without going full prepper overboard.

I've never seen his vid's before, I'll have to check some out. Thanks!
  •  

leafsjunkie

Quote from: LittleHockeyFan on July 22, 2022, 04:49:30 PM
Quote from: leafsjunkie on July 22, 2022, 01:56:23 PM
I have a four day camping trip coming up at the end of August, all the way up near Kirkland Lake (Esker Lakes Provincial Park). Haven't camped in 16 years, it's like a 7 hour drive away, with my wife, kid and dog.... I'll see if I come back with the same attitude.  ;D
enjoy! the dog especially, will love it!

Thank you! (He definitely will!!! He's a Sheppard mix and loves being outside / walks / other animals)
  •  

Joe

So I was having a conversation with a friend yesterday in WhatsApp about the movies Airplane and top secret. And today when I went into Instagram and just looked at some random reels a bunch of clips from airplane and top secret showed up.

I did not do any google searches for those movies. So I dunno, I think Facebook is 'listening' to WhatsApp.
  •  

Significantly Insignificant

Everything is listening to everything.  I once posted here on my work laptop and got an email shortly after about how posting to public forums needs to be done with caution.
"We can't change what's done, we can only move on." - Arthur Morgan
  •  

Highlander

Quote from: Joe on August 11, 2022, 11:46:22 AM
So I was having a conversation with a friend yesterday in WhatsApp about the movies Airplane and top secret. And today when I went into Instagram and just looked at some random reels a bunch of clips from airplane and top secret showed up.

I did not do any google searches for those movies. So I dunno, I think Facebook is 'listening' to WhatsApp.
Same company,  Meta   go figure
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki
  •  

herman

https://www.mcnuttpartners.com/why-we-see-digital-ads-after-talking-about-something/

QuoteHow they track
No, Facebook didn't hear your conversation. They are just so good at tracking you in other ways that it can feel that way.

We know that Facebook surveils our online behaviors: i.e., what websites we visit, what terms we search for, what we purchase online, etc. These tracking methods (which get extremely sophisticated beyond what we're describing here) have a direct influence on the ads that we see.

In the case of the conversation with the friend, we can thank location tracking for that. Even when one is not signed in to the app, Facebook (given permission by the user) can track the location of our mobile phones.

Therefore, Facebook was able to determine that you and the friend were in the same location at the party. If the friend had previously had any online interaction with Yummy Time, then there is your connection. Facebook knows you're friends on Facebook. It knows you were together. If that friend is bringing up Yummy Time, it's likely that he or she has had some kind of recent interaction with it—Googling it, visiting the website, etc. Even if the mentioned product was one your friend purchased in a store, Facebook location tracking can be privy to the fact that your friend was at said store.

Let's take it a step further. Even if your friend (Friend A) had only had a conversation about Yummy Time with another friend (Friend B), then Friend A could have been the one on the receiving end of the ad prior to talking about it with you. That's enough for Facebook to try the ad with you as well.

In other words...
Beyond just being together, Facebook's algorithm compares your interests, demographics, places you've been, groups you're a part of, hashtags you follow (the list goes on) to that of your friend. If you and your friend are similar, and the friend has already left a trail of breadcrumbs to that product, then Facebook will serve you up an ad to see if you feel the same.
#BeBlessed
  •  

Arn

Today is my last day in the office of my job of the last 8 years. There were a few things that had got me to the point that I was looking elsewhere, so I was obviously unsettled enough to be looking (mostly around return to work protocols after Covid).

But the big boss just gave a nice leaving speech and it reminded me that I had a lot of good times in this job. I was actually massively fortunate to have had a lot of amazing opportunities for travel in particular, and to some really off the beaten track destinations. Brexit has actually killed those projects so those opportunities are gone anyway.

I also associate my time in this job with getting married and the arrival of my kid, and the support they gave me around both those things.

So for the first time in over 6 months (since I applied for the new job, got the offer and worked my 3 month notice period) it's hit me that there's a big change coming and unsettled me a little.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.
  •  

OldTimeHockey

I've just gone through something similar Arn. It's a weird feeling of anxiety and relief at the same time.
Good luck to you in your new venture.
  •  

Highlander

Good luck Arn.  I too am looking at some changes.  The pandemic has changed my industry and not for the better.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki
  •  

Joe

Just a general rant. I'm tired of the notion of "return to work". We never stopped working. It's return to office.

And if anything we've proven that if your job allows for it, work from home works perfectly well. I'm more productive and I'm putting more hours at work because I don't need to spend 2 hours a day in transit so I can sit in a cubicle to join conference calls.

I realize not everyone can work from home, but for those that can, it's a great benefit.
  •  

bustaheims

Quote from: Joe on September 12, 2022, 12:40:57 PM
Just a general rant. I'm tired of the notion of "return to work". We never stopped working. It's return to office.

And if anything we've proven that if your job slows for it, work from home works perfectly well. I'm more productive and I'm putting more hours at work because I don't need to spend 2 hours a day in transit so I can sit in a cubicle to join conference calls.

I realize not everyone can work from home, but for those that can, it's a great benefit.

Agreed. Companies that are stuck to the traditional 9 to 5 in an office environment are going to lose quality talent to those that recognized they didn't lose any productivity through from people working from home. More and more of us are seeing the quality of life improvements from not having to commute every day.

I suspect more and more companies will transition to at least a hybrid model.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
  •