Author Topic: Gill traded to Nashville  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
Gill traded to Nashville
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:59:07 PM »
Habs trade: Boom-Boom's grandson B. Geoffrion + R. Slaney, and 2nd round pick in 2012 from NSH for H. Gill and a con 5th round pick in '13
by SNLouisJean via twitter 2:26 PM

Edit: Maybe this needs it's own thread.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:01:58 PM by Sarge »

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Gill traded to Nashville
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »
Slaney is a career AHL'er I think, Blake has some NHL upside, but is having an awful year. 

Not sure I'm crazy about the deal from the Habs perspective.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:14:04 PM »
Slaney is a career AHL'er I think, Blake has some NHL upside, but is having an awful year. 

I thought Geoffrion was a decent prospect. With the 2nd round pick on top of that, I think the Habs to as well as expected for Gill . In fact, I'd say better than expected because obviously, Geoffrion is going to be an instant hit among fans there.

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »
I dunno, he is 24 and has yet to make an impact as a pro, he has upside and it does take longer for big guys to develop sometimes, but he is a big question mark.  I thought a playoff bund team might pony up more for Gill and a 5th.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »
I dunno, he is 24 and has yet to make an impact as a pro, he has upside and it does take longer for big guys to develop sometimes, but he is a big question mark.  I thought a playoff bund team might pony up more for Gill and a 5th.

I doubt it. The Leafs got a second for Hal Gill, what, 4 years ago? I think that's about as much as he goes for.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 03:13:26 PM »

I doubt it. The Leafs got a second for Hal Gill, what, 4 years ago? I think that's about as much as he goes for.
Wasn't that before he showed up as a decent playoff performer though?

I take your point though.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
I guess Nashville intents on trading Suter after all? I would love to see him as a Leaf.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »
I guess Nashville intents on trading Suter after all? I would love to see him as a Leaf.

I don't know about that. I think it's a similar situation with Grabovski in that you may just decide to hang on to him for your playoff run regardless if you can sign him prior to the trade deadline or not.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 03:24:12 PM »
I don't know about that. I think it's a similar situation with Grabovski in that you may just decide to hang on to him for your playoff run regardless if you can sign him prior to the trade deadline or not.

Yeah, I'm inclined to lean that way too. If the Preds deal Suter I think it makes it that much harder for them to convince Weber that they're serious about winning and Weber is probably as good as gone next summer at which point the Preds are really back at square one.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline 13

• Prospect
  • Smile! ....... or die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »
Having been born in Montreal I always thunked the Grandson of Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion was destined for Montreal. Greatness? Doubt it, but, that'd be a pretty cool storyline.
I'm an Atheist.... I swear to God.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:53:27 PM »

I doubt adding a 3rd pairing type like Gill will have any impact on Nashville's position on Suter.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline leafplasma

• Veteran
  • Blue Bones Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 06:49:37 PM »

ECHLer, Slaney will have a long and prosperous career in a Habs jersey.  What were we thinking dealing him for Franson and then letting them throw in Lombardi?  I shudder when they then asked us for Lebda to boot.  Theives those Preds.

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »

If Grabs and Suter are in a similiar situation, why not trade them for each other?  With Gardiner doing so well, Leafs can throw in a D-man and bring up Kadri.  :D

Offline azzurri63

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »

If Grabs and Suter are in a similiar situation, why not trade them for each other?  With Gardiner doing so well, Leafs can throw in a D-man and bring up Kadri.  :D

Grabs for Suter and Schenn to Philly for JVR.