It's FREE to join and post in our forums.  Click to join now!

2022 NHL Draft Discussion

Started by herman, May 25, 2022, 05:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn

Think we should draft goalies with every pick we have this year.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

hobarth

Quote from: OldTimeHockey on June 22, 2022, 08:31:44 AM
Quote from: hobarth on June 22, 2022, 12:45:40 AM
That 2015 draft was close to a waste for TO, Marner good, ya, but the d-men drafted were either small or slow or both, the forwards were either slow, small or maladjusted.

It's looking more and more that the Leaf drafts from 2019 and before, during the Shanahan reign, are not proving very fruitful, Lily benched during the playoffs, Sandin, small and slow. Durzi looks like he might be TO's only true find in the 2nd round, 52nd overall, another small d-man. I guess Matthews came from those drafts but he was a no brainer and it's looking like TO only really specializes in no brainers.

Curious how many players a team should get from each draft to deem it a success? And where do they have to play in the line up for it to be a success?

That's a fair question, TO had the chance to draft Konecny but chose to trade down instead with Dermott being the best of that trade. So then the question becomes is/was Dermott a good draft choice because he's played many games in the NHL or has he played many games because he was cheap and TO didn't have a whole lot of options beyond him.

I felt at that time, 2015, that TO was going about the draft totally wrong especially because of the quality of players available in one of the best drafts ever. OF course most everybody will say TO could've had Aho even after trading down but that is typical TO drafting, if it's not a nobrainer TO will screw it up. Even in a great draft drafting below #20 becomes difficult so why wouldn't TO trade up, Boeser was picked at #22, Chabot at #18, why did TO need so many crappy lower round draft choices, crappy because TO selected them. Every time TO trades down seems like TO admitting to being a horrible drafting team and figuring that volume drafting might mask their crapidity.

I'd prefer TO grab the bull by the horns and attempt to draft with some sense of certainty instead of trading down with the built in excuse of draft lottery later in drafts.

This year is the 8th draft of the Shanahan Era and so far the quality is basically only Matthews and Marner, outside of those two Dermott is the best player drafted, pretty awesome considering the number of choices TO has had over those 7 years.

Nik

Shanahan was around for the Nylander draft, for what it's worth.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

herman

Quote from: Nik on June 22, 2022, 07:58:36 PM

And had a direct hand in making sure the team picked him. Subsequently, Nylander is Shanahan's son's favourite player.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

hobarth

Quote from: herman on June 22, 2022, 08:38:28 PM

And had a direct hand in making sure the team picked him. Subsequently, Nylander is Shanahan's son's favourite player.

Since Nylander is the only quality player TO has drafted outside of the top 5 in 8 years, Shanahan should be conducting the draft for TO. Of course, many Leaf fans even consider Nylander is a failure.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: hobarth on June 22, 2022, 11:42:07 PM
Quote from: herman on June 22, 2022, 08:38:28 PM

Since Nylander is the only quality player TO has drafted outside of the top 5 in 8 years, Shanahan should be conducting the draft for TO. Of course, many Leaf fans even consider Nylander is a failure.
Many Leaf fans? Anyone who thinks Nylander is a failure knows nothing about hockey.

Arn

I would love to be as much of a "failure" at my job as Nylander is at his
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

OldTimeHockey

I think writing off Sandin(22yrs old) and Liljegren(23yrs old) this early is a tad shortsighted. Many Leaf fans may not agree.

bustaheims

Quote from: Guilt Trip on June 23, 2022, 12:14:29 AM
Many Leaf fans? Anyone who thinks Nylander is a failure knows nothing about hockey.

Agreed. I get that he's not necessarily the type of player some fans are happy with, but a failure? Dude just had a 34 goal, 80 point season. The only season he didn't produce at a 20+ goal, 60+ point pace was the holdout season.

"Many Leaf fans" need to get back to reality and relearn what a failed draft pick is - like, I don't know, Michael Del Colle, who went 5th overall in that draft, or Nick Ritchie, who a lot of those "fans" wanted the Leafs to draft with that pick...
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

herman

#BeBlessed

Nik

I don't think the team's President "conducts" the draft regardless of record.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Bender

Quote from: OldTimeHockey on June 23, 2022, 08:19:40 AM

I think writing off Sandin(22yrs old) and Liljegren(23yrs old) this early is a tad shortsighted. Many Leaf fans may not agree.

I agree 100% with this. Some players still have upside like Knies and Robertson. Kind of ridiculous to expect the last 2-3 drafts to have long shots pan out immediately.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

herman

Scouching on Lane Hutson
Smaht scouting report

In case you were wondering what Mitch Marner(ish) looked like as N LHD
#BeBlessed

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

Hooray for Naz and the Avs, and screw off Cooper.

Now back to our Regularly Scheduled Leafs Programming.

herman

#BeBlessed