It's FREE to join and post in our forums.  Click to join now!

Armchair GM Thread 2022-2023

Started by CarltonTheBear, May 16, 2022, 11:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank E

Quote from: herman on July 05, 2022, 09:52:13 AM
I think other than some key acquisitions at goaltending and at least one middle-six winger, we should try to run the kids in the replacement level areas of the roster (6D, bottom-3) and give them some runway to grow and develop pro games (PK, forecheck) throughout the first half of the season. Whoever floats to regular duty is a win, and cap space is banked for the deadline. I'll have some firmer convictions about specific players on Thursday, maybe.

new guy - Matthews - Nylander
Bunting - Tavares - Marner
Engvall - Kampf - Kase
Marlie - cheap UFA - Marlie

Rielly - Brodie
Giordano - Liljegren
Sandin - Holl

Asking Giordano to play top-4 minutes might be a little much at this point of his career...no?

Sub-in for an injury, sure, or are you thinking maybe giving Sandin opportunity to step up?

Nik

Quote from: Frank E on July 05, 2022, 10:06:40 AM
Asking Giordano to play top-4 minutes might be a little much at this point of his career...no?

I think it'd be bad to not have a back-up plan if he proves incapable of it but I think his recent track record definitely suggests you can pencil him in for 20 ish minutes a game.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

herman

Quote from: Nik on July 05, 2022, 10:17:17 AM
Quote from: Frank E on July 05, 2022, 10:06:40 AM

I think it'd be bad to not have a back-up plan if he proves incapable of it but I think his recent track record definitely suggests you can pencil him in for 20 ish minutes a game.

I'd basically play the three pairs pretty evenly, other than special teams requirements.
Key shutdown situations would probably turn into Gio-Brodie, Rielly-Liljegren
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

CarltonTheBear

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1544351017155829762

I'd prefer Strome, but White on a much cheaper deal would also be an option for 3C.

Zee

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 05, 2022, 12:06:16 PM
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1544351017155829762

I'd prefer Strome, but White on a much cheaper deal would also be an option for 3C.

I don't understand why they're buying him out?  They're a team that's barely over the cap floor as it is.

CarltonTheBear

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1544352946875506689

So, there's 10.5 million reasons. White's contract was very bad, and things just weren't working out there even in a smaller role for him. This was their last chance to buy him out at that cheaper 1/3 rate because of his age.

Joe

People make fun of the leafs and their contracts, but 6 years @28 million?

Zee

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 05, 2022, 12:28:22 PM
https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1544352946875506689

So, there's 10.5 million reasons. White's contract was very bad, and things just weren't working out there even in a smaller role for him. This was their last chance to buy him out at that cheaper 1/3 rate because of his age.

Kinda sucks for White, does he still somehow get the money he signed for or no?  I'd be pissed if I was owed $15.75M and only got $5.25M out of it. 

Frank E

louisstamos

I can't remember which podcast floated this, but I like the idea of buyouts not counting towards the cap - but in that case, they would have to be paid in full, instead of 1/3 or 2/3 it currently is.

bustaheims

Quote from: louisstamos on July 05, 2022, 02:46:04 PM
I can't remember which podcast floated this, but I like the idea of buyouts not counting towards the cap - but in that case, they would have to be paid in full, instead of 1/3 or 2/3 it currently is.

Nah. Can't just let teams out of mistakes for just cash. Too easy for some teams to abuse. League will never go for it.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CarltonTheBear

Whatever I didn't want him anyway.

Zee

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 05, 2022, 03:32:37 PM
Whatever I didn't want him anyway.

Da-Nile ain't just a river in Egypt.

Frank E