It's FREE to join and post in our forums.  Click to join now!

Armchair GM Thread 2022-2023

Started by CarltonTheBear, May 16, 2022, 11:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herman

https://twitter.com/stapeathletic/status/1542632110913110018
Julien Gauthier and Alex Georgiev have requested trades from NYR

Edit: and then
https://twitter.com/puckpedia/status/1542999669667610624
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

hobarth

Players I'd like to see return:

Matthews
Marner,
Nylander,
Tavares,
Bunting,
Engvall

Lilly,
Sandin,
Giordano

Campbell,
Kallgren

Mostly, the top 4 forwards did their job this year, the other 2 were alright and provided value. The other forwards while reasonably productive during the regular season provide little value in the playoffs, especially Kerfoot and Mikheyev.

If Rielly isn't scoring or moving the puck, his d play irks me, no physicality, gap control iffy, generally more a rover than d-man and for 7.5 mil. TO needs more. Muzzin and Brodie are simply aging out, both play better d than Rielly but since they aren't much at moving the puck, the puck spends more time in TO's zone than what should be necessary for guys who are as well paid as them. If Holl had any physicality I'd be happy to see him remain a Leaf, right now his greatest value is how much he's paid and how much more Keefe trusts him over Lilly and Sandin.  Lyubushkin, plays physical but I question his hockey IQ in all situations but again a player Keefe prefers to Lily and Sandin.

I like Campbell and if TO can make the $s work I hope he remains. I don't get Mrazek, he's been around forever but he's that bad, why did Dubbie sign him? Kallgren's stats weren't great but he was a rookie and pressed into service late in the year when there wasn't any possibility to ease him in, maybe this year without so much pressure he'll have more opportunity to be sheltered until he demonstrates he's ready.

Of course, I know what I want isn't going to happen.

herman

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1543954764110651392
And for a limited time, if you trade for Mikheyev's rights right now, you can sign him for 8 years instead! Get that AAV down a little bit closer to 5M, Ken Holland. He's is way better than whoever you'll pick at 29th overall and will be immediate help in the McDavid/Draisaitl window of contention. One less skater who can keep up with McDavid on the opposing team!
#BeBlessed

herman

The draft coming after the signing bonus day (July 1) really should be a boon for the Leafs to moving Kerfoot's cap hit (3.5M) to a cash-strapped team looking to make the floor. He only has league minimum left to pay in real dollars (750k) for the season.
#BeBlessed

herman

https://theathletic.com/3398758/2022/07/03/blackhawks-draft-primer-alex-debrincat-picks/
QuoteThe Blackhawks could begin addressing their goaltending situation this week. Look for Davidson to have discussions with the Toronto Maple Leafs about taking on goalie Petr Mrazek and his contract in exchange for draft picks and/or prospects.
#BeBlessed

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

Quote from: herman on July 04, 2022, 11:30:11 AM
https://theathletic.com/3398758/2022/07/03/blackhawks-draft-primer-alex-debrincat-picks/
QuoteThe Blackhawks could begin addressing their goaltending situation this week. Look for Davidson to have discussions with the Toronto Maple Leafs about taking on goalie Petr Mrazek and his contract in exchange for draft picks and/or prospects.
So in other words Dubas has to give away picka and prospects with nothing coming back in order to fix his unforced error.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on July 04, 2022, 01:48:42 PM
So in other words Dubas has to give away picka and prospects with nothing coming back in order to fix his unforced error.

He could send a package to the Hawks in a bigger deal and maybe grab Strome off their hands. Dubas won't pay much to lose Mrazek. There are other ways to generate cap space.

Big Daddy

I'll dream.  Why not it's a Monday!!

R/S    CAP              CAP HIT          OVER              CAP SPACE
22   $82,500,000   $82,480,616   $212,500      $19,384

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Domi(2@2)-Strome(2.5@2)-Nylander
Marchment(2@2)-Tavares-Gagner(.85@2)
Kase(1.5@2)-Kempf-Engvall(1.5@2)
Clifford

Reilly-Brodie
Giordano-Chychrun(4.6@3)
Sandin(1.65@2)-Liljegren
Dahlstrom

Kuemper(5@3)
Giorgiev(1.3@2)

Trade Kerfoot and Muzzin to CHI for Strome
Trade Holl and Mrazek to ARI for Chychrun
Buyout Simmonds

hobarth

Quote from: Big Daddy on July 04, 2022, 03:41:08 PM

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Clifford

Reilly-Brodie
Giordano-Chychrun(4.6@3)
Sandin(1.65@2)-Liljegren
Dahlstrom

Kuemper(5@3)
Giorgiev(1.3@2)

Buyout Simmonds

If you were the GM of either Chicago or Arizona would you make those trades?

bustaheims

Quote from: Guilt Trip on July 04, 2022, 02:01:57 PM
Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on July 04, 2022, 01:48:42 PM

He could send a package to the Hawks in a bigger deal and maybe grab Strome off their hands. Dubas won't pay much to lose Mrazek. There are other ways to generate cap space.

Especially since the buyout cost isn't really that high. If teams are asking for real assets to take Mrazek, he won't be dealt. If all they want is a future mid-round pick or mid tier prospect, then it's a possibility.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bill_Berg_is_sad

Quote from: hobarth on July 04, 2022, 04:42:40 PM

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Clifford

Reilly-Brodie
Giordano-Chychrun(4.6@3)
Sandin(1.65@2)-Liljegren
Dahlstrom

Kuemper(5@3)
Giorgiev(1.3@2)

Buyout Simmonds

I think he's assuming there is filler on these trades to make it work.

bustaheims

Quote from: hobarth on July 04, 2022, 04:42:40 PM

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Clifford

Reilly-Brodie
Giordano-Chychrun(4.6@3)
Sandin(1.65@2)-Liljegren
Dahlstrom

Kuemper(5@3)
Giorgiev(1.3@2)

Buyout Simmonds

Chicago might. Arizona does not. They'll get much better offers.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

herman

#BeBlessed

CarltonTheBear

One last attempt before draft time:

In: Campbell ($4.5mil, UFA), one of Engvall/Kase ($1.75mil, RFA), Sandin ($1.5mil, RFA), Strome ($4mil, UFA), Cogliano ($900k, UFA), Puljujarvi ($3mil, trade), Stolarz (trade)

Out: Holl, Kerfoot, Mrazek, one of Engvall/Kase, Simmonds (maybe)

Holl and Kerfoot should be easy enough to move out I'd imagine. Ideally we get some sort of draft pick back for both, especially Holl, but $5.5mil in cap space would be the most important thing. Mrazek goes to Chicago alongside some sort of mid range sweetener. With Pulju and Strome I just couldn't fit both Engvall and Kase cap wise. The one we decide not to keep, I went with Kase, could be a potential player we swap Puljujarvi with. Stolarz, with his $950k AAV, would be the perfect 1B guy I think right now. He's also an UFA after this upcoming season so if the Ducks are keeping Gibson I can't imagine he'll be in their long-term plans. Simmonds is somewhere, but not on the Leafs main roster. Either traded, claimed off waivers, or cleared waivers and with the Marlies.

That leaves us with:

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Puljujarvi
Engvall-Strome-Nylander
Cogliano-Kampf-Anderson

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liljegren
Giordano-Sandin
Dahlstrom

Campbell
Stolarz

$100k in cap space remaining.

herman

I think other than some key acquisitions at goaltending and at least one middle-six winger, we should try to run the kids in the replacement level areas of the roster (6D, bottom-3) and give them some runway to grow and develop pro games (PK, forecheck) throughout the first half of the season. Whoever floats to regular duty is a win, and cap space is banked for the deadline. I'll have some firmer convictions about specific players on Thursday, maybe.

new guy - Matthews - Nylander
Bunting - Tavares - Marner
Engvall - Kampf - Kase
Marlie - cheap UFA - Marlie

Rielly - Brodie
Giordano - Liljegren
Sandin - Holl
#BeBlessed