Maple Leafs News and Views > Former Leafs: Ex-Files

PHIL KESSEL WINS STANLEY CUP

<< < (2/26) > >>

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: CarltonTheBear on June 13, 2016, 08:46:35 AM ---Yeah, I don't want to say that Crosby didn't deserve it but I feel like he won it for reasons that generally aren't given much consideration generally when it comes to the Conn Smythe. Because if they were then there's no way Justin Williams would have won it over Anze Kopitar last time LA won. So it just seems awful convenient that the voters changed their criteria when Phil was up for the award.

--- End quote ---

I read somewhere that it was the first time in more than 30 years that a forward who didn't lead his team in playoff points won the award (though, clearly, whoever wrote that forgot about Williams beating Kopitar). Crosby definitely did more of the little things to help his team win, but, like you said, it does feel awfully convenient that the criteria changed this year.

CarltonTheBear:
Apparently there isn't any footage of Phil and Reimer in the handshake line. What the hell TV producers?

Nik:

--- Quote from: bustaheims on June 13, 2016, 08:59:39 AM ---I read somewhere that it was the first time in more than 30 years that a forward who didn't lead his team in playoff points won the award (though, clearly, whoever wrote that forgot about Williams beating Kopitar).

--- End quote ---

Just off the top of my head it's also not true of Nieuwendyk's win in '99 or Lemieux in '95.

Crucialness Key:

--- Quote from: CarltonTheBear on June 13, 2016, 08:46:35 AM ---
--- Quote from: Zee on June 13, 2016, 08:29:31 AM ---He really should have gotten the Conn Smythe too.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I don't want to say that Crosby didn't deserve it but I feel like he won it for reasons that generally aren't given much consideration when it comes to the Conn Smythe. Because if they were then there's no way Justin Williams would have won it over Anze Kopitar last time LA won. So it just seems awful convenient that the voters changed their criteria when Phil was up for the award.

--- End quote ---

To me it feels more like the criteria changed to benefit Crosby, not so much to hurt Phil.  If Crosby already had a Conn Smythe, I think Phil would have got it this year.

jdh1:
Hooray for Phil Kessel....he must of read my posts because he did do a great job in the playoffs.I was very critical of him when he left the Leafs,but hats off to him right now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version