Just for Fun > Non-Hockey Chatter

Coronavirus

<< < (437/502) > >>

Nik:

--- Quote from: CarltonTheBear on January 27, 2022, 07:59:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: OldTimeHockey on January 27, 2022, 07:28:26 PM ---By the way, you're not doing yourself any favours driving around with stickers or flags that say "F Trudeau".....Trudeau himself doesn't care and everyone who's looking at you thinks you're an idiot. I had a guy show up to a job interview last week with that across the tailgate of his truck. Yeah, sorry, no, we are not hiring you.

--- End quote ---

It's the weirdest thing. There's certainly some politicians out there who I strongly, strongly disagree with, but I would never make that my entire personality.

--- End quote ---

People in cults don't understand that other people aren't in cults. They think that by saying something negative about Trudeau that his supporters will be deeply affected by it when most people who vote Liberal just choose it as their preferred option of a bunch of politicians.

Even at the height of my political advocacy I've never really cared about any party leader.

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Nik on January 28, 2022, 01:00:20 PM ---People in cults don't understand that other people aren't in cults. They think that by saying something negative about Trudeau that his supporters will be deeply affected by it when most people who vote Liberal just choose it as their preferred option of a bunch of politicians.

Even at the height of my political advocacy I've never really cared about any party leader.

--- End quote ---

Yeah. At no point have I ever looked political leader with any kind of reverence. The tribalism displayed by some is quite concerning.

Bender:

--- Quote from: bustaheims on January 28, 2022, 01:43:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nik on January 28, 2022, 01:00:20 PM ---People in cults don't understand that other people aren't in cults. They think that by saying something negative about Trudeau that his supporters will be deeply affected by it when most people who vote Liberal just choose it as their preferred option of a bunch of politicians.

--- End quote ---

Yeah. At no point have I ever looked political leader with any kind of reverence. The tribalism displayed by some is quite concerning.

--- End quote ---
I've also never disliked a PM enough to protest for days against them and put my job on hold.

Nik:
So I checked twitter and saw that the Convoy was trending along with Russel Brand.

"Russell Brand? The British Comedian? Why would he care about this nonsense?" I wondered. So I clicked on it. And I saw a video of him cheering on the Convoy and asking why it's not being covered by "the mainstream media".

So then I checked. The Convoy is the lead story on CBC, CTV news, The Toronto Star, the Globe and Mail, has five stories on the front page of the Post, about as many as the Sun(although their lead story is Mrazek getting 2 starts before the AS break) and is prominently covered over at Global News.

That's really the thing with these people. They just live in this entirely different universe. Actual, hard truths mean almost nothing to them.

Bender:

--- Quote from: Nik on January 28, 2022, 02:50:16 PM ---So I checked twitter and saw that the Convoy was trending along with Russel Brand.

"Russell Brand? The British Comedian? Why would he care about this nonsense?" I wondered. So I clicked on it. And I saw a video of him cheering on the Convoy and asking why it's not being covered by "the mainstream media".

So then I checked. The Convoy is the lead story on CBC, CTV news, The Toronto Star, the Globe and Mail, has five stories on the front page of the Post, about as many as the Sun(although their lead story is Mrazek getting 2 starts before the AS break) and is prominently covered over at Global News.

That's really the thing with these people. They just live in this entirely different universe. Actual, hard truths mean almost nothing to them.

--- End quote ---
And the thing that I don't know how to deal with is the extent of misinformation. It's so easy to say well, it's a marketplace of ideas and the best ideas win out, but with larger and larger voices spreading more and more misinformation and the less we have a shared reality, how are we supposed to move forward? I think countries like Russia and China are hoping this kind of division is long term for us while they continue to solidify their positions against the west using social media that we created against us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version