Just for Fun > Non-Hockey Chatter

The Official Movie Thread

<< < (256/261) > >>

L K:
Yeah I don’t get Eternals. Just finished it and I spent the entire time wondering why I was supposed to care about any of them.    It felt like a very flat movie. 

Frank E:

--- Quote from: Bullfrog on January 14, 2022, 02:18:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Frank E on January 14, 2022, 11:58:44 AM ---Where do you stream that LK?

--- End quote ---

https://www.justwatch.com/ca/

This site is great to find out where the hell something is streaming. Just make sure you've got the /ca at the end.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Frog.

OldTimeHockey:

--- Quote from: L K on January 18, 2022, 10:29:15 PM ---Yeah I don’t get Eternals. Just finished it and I spent the entire time wondering why I was supposed to care about any of them.    It felt like a very flat movie.

--- End quote ---

Yes I felt the exact same way. It ended. I turned off the TV. The whole family just stood up and walked away from the TV. No discussion. No comments. That's not normal for us as a family.

Bullfrog:
Well, I watched it. Not too much to add that hasn't already been said. Maybe it's important for canon, but why did it have to be in the overall Marvel universe? That is, the really lame reasoning for not intervening against Thanos could have been avoided. Also, this might have made for a decent 2nd Eternals movie. There needed to be a first that explained who they were better.

Aside from the plot (which is slightly important), the humour someone ruined it. I was confused if it was supposed to be a comedy or a dramatic action movie. Trying to do it all did not work.

I'm also no astro-physicist, but if a celestial needs tremendous amounts of energy to develop, why not grow inside a star?

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: herman on January 14, 2022, 10:59:55 AM ---I think it would have been better served in the tv series format. It's a pretty large ensemble and each one has some chunky history to develop story from that got short changed. I would not have minded a 'History Re-write of the week' for 4 episodes before coalescing into the season's arc in earnest. In film form, I cared about no one. Except Lauren Ridloff's Makkari was really fun and sassy in her criminally brief screen time.

--- End quote ---

Watched it last night, and this is largely along the lines of what I felt, as well. Could have made for a very interesting limited series. Introduce the characters more slowly and deliberately, develop more backstory, etc. There was potential there, but a little much to try to cover in ~2:30.

With the concepts and stories the MCU is now starting to introduce, this could develop into a real issue. They're getting into some of the more "out there" stuff that, not all that long ago, would have seemed too far from the mainline stories and characters to be massmarketed - magic, a wide pantheon of gods, the multiverse, the whole Secret Invasion series, etc. - and these definitely include some sillier characters in situations they're going to want to present in a more serious fashion. There will be a tricky balance of humour, spectacle, and drama for them to navigate. We've seen Marvel handle that with some success in the past (and they've done a really good job of it with their Disney+ series so far), so, hopefully, they can get back on track with the next few films. Going to interesting to see how a lot of it plays out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version