Other Hockey News & Views > NHL Transactions

Ovi signs 5-year contract extension

<< < (2/2)

Arn:

--- Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 27, 2021, 01:14:49 PM ---Just doing some goal math … Alex Ovechkin (730 goals) can average 33 goals per season for the next five seasons to break Wayne Gretzky’s goal record (894).— Samantha Pell (@SamanthaJPell) July 27, 2021
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I say he does it.

Bender:

--- Quote from: louisstamos on July 27, 2021, 01:18:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 27, 2021, 01:14:49 PM ---Just doing some goal math … Alex Ovechkin (730 goals) can average 33 goals per season for the next five seasons to break Wayne Gretzky’s goal record (894).— Samantha Pell (@SamanthaJPell) July 27, 2021
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

This is also considering he missed a full rookie season because of the 2004-05 lockout, the partial season because of the 2012-13 lockout, and a pandemic year this year.  It's impressive.

Still - a 5 year contract for a 35 year old.  :o

--- End quote ---
He's an absolute freak of nature. Although I do want to watch more Caps games to see if it's basically just the one-timer threat that he's got at this point.

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Bender on July 28, 2021, 09:13:10 AM ---He's an absolute freak of nature. Although I do want to watch more Caps games to see if it's basically just the one-timer threat that he's got at this point.

--- End quote ---

The one-timer is definitely his biggest weapon right now, but he still has a great shot outside of that. He's not making a ton of slick, highlight reel type plays anymore, but he's not a one-trick pony, either.

Bender:

--- Quote from: bustaheims on July 28, 2021, 09:14:46 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bender on July 28, 2021, 09:13:10 AM ---He's an absolute freak of nature. Although I do want to watch more Caps games to see if it's basically just the one-timer threat that he's got at this point.

--- End quote ---

The one-timer is definitely his biggest weapon right now, but he still has a great shot outside of that. He's not making a ton of slick, highlight reel type plays anymore, but he's not a one-trick pony, either.

--- End quote ---
This makes it even more intriguing

L K:

--- Quote from: bustaheims on July 28, 2021, 09:14:46 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

And even if it was just his one-timer.  He has been doing it from the same spot for 16 seasons.  Teams gameplan around him and still can't stop it.  Barring an injury that hampers his shot I don't see how he doesn't stay effective for most of that contract even if he becomes more and more of a liability on the rest of the ice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version