Maple Leafs News and Views > Main Leafs Hockey Talk

2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion

<< < (264/480) > >>

Bill_Berg_is_sad:
The first two rounds for the Leafs could easily be against far better teams that they would play in rounds 3 and 4.

Guilt Trip:

--- Quote from: Bill_Berg_is_sad on January 16, 2022, 02:19:34 PM ---The first two rounds for the Leafs could easily be against far better teams that they would play in rounds 3 and 4.

--- End quote ---
Yup...they need to fix the current setup.

Iafrate:
I’ve already ranted several times about the playoff format and the schedule. I’ll say it again, the fact that the leafs don’t play Florida for the first time until the end of March is absolutely ridiculous.

bustaheims:
There’s a much bigger talent gap in the East than there is in the West, so the overall league standings are a bit misleading.

CarltonTheBear:

--- Quote from: bustaheims on January 16, 2022, 04:05:34 PM ---There’s a much bigger talent gap in the East than there is in the West, so the overall league standings are a bit misleading.

--- End quote ---

The gap between the 8th place team and 9th place team in the East is pretty nuts. Right now 8th is on pace for 107 points. 9th place, Detroit of all teams, is on pace for just 83 points. Every other team in the East is below .500. I know generally speaking it's believed teams in playoff positions by this point of the season make it there, but I doubt we've seen a gap that large in a very, very long time.

In the West there's 6 teams that the 8 place team in the East would either be tied or beating in points percentage. Both the Wild Card teams in the East would be leading the Pacific division in points percentage. The current pace to make the playoffs in the West right now is 96 points, and there's still 4 teams on the outside that have a realistic chance of taking that spot.

So yeah barring the league just going a basic 1-16 league wide playoff format every team in the East is going to have a super tough road to the Finals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version