Maple Leafs News and Views > Leafs Rumours & Speculation

Armchair GM 2021-2022: Catharsis

(1/51) > >>

herman:
You know you're thinking about it already. Which no-good bum who struggled to produce anything tangible in a 7 game sample do we need to dump?

If you're thinking about Seth Jones, do yourself a favour and just replace those two words with Miro Heiskanen so people don't laugh at you up front.

I'll start!

To LAK: Mitch Marner (signing bonus paid, 4x 10.903M), Morgan Rielly (1x 5M)
To TOR: 2022 1st, Quinton Byfield, Akil Thomas, Olli Maataa, Matt Roy, whatever buriable spare parts they want to dump

Why would LA do this?
Huge jumpstart for their impressive prospect pool on the cusp of entering the league. Immediately adds the speed they seek, especially on the backend and extending the viability of their two big tickets (Doughty, Kopitar). It's a lopsided trade on the cap side, but there isn't much real cash left on Marner's deal and it's a surefire top-end player to bridge the gap between the old Cup winners and the upcoming kids.

Why would Toronto do this?
Byfield is a high pick, but a project (they loooove projects) and is some higher-end centre depth. Thomas has existing chemistry with two Leaf prospects (SDA, Nicky Bobby) and he sort of buried pretty deep behind Turcotte, Vilardi, and the aforementioned Kopitar. Matt Roy is a good middle D get to replace Holl, Maataa is a dump.

L K:
The bare mimumum/did nothing to change the team roster:

FORWARDS (12)
Right wing: Mitchell Marner ($10,903,000) - William Nylander ($6,962,366) - Jason Spezza ($750,000) - Nicholas Robertson ($821,667)
Centre: Auston Matthews ($11,640,250) - John Tavares ($11,000,000) - Adam Brooks ($725,000) - Joey Anderson ($750,000)
Left wing: Ilya Mikheyev ($1,645,000) - Pierre Engvall ($1,250,000) - Zach Hyman ($4,500,000) - Alex Galchenyuk ($1,500,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: TJ Brodie ($5,000,000) - Justin Holl ($2,000,000) - Zach Bogosian ($1,500,000)
Left: Jake Muzzin ($5,625,000) - Morgan Rielly ($5,000,000) - Rasmus Sandin ($894,167) - Travis Dermott ($1,250,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Jack Campbell ($1,650,000) - Jonathan Bernier ($2,750,000)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1)
Phil Kessel ($1,200,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 21
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Cap Hit: $79,316,450
Cap Space: $2,183,550

Guilt Trip:
4.5 for Hyman? That's a huge overpay for what he brings. Listen I love his work ethic but the way he's over valued is beyond nuts. He's not a 1st line player and he's not worth what some are mentioning. He has 5 pts in his last 3 playoffs playing with M&M. He had 2 more 5v5 goals then Mikheyev and Engvall. 1 more then Spezza and he played most of his time with M&M. They deserve  a better winger.
I'm also not giving Galchenyuk or Bogo a 500K raise. Time for Liljegren and I think Robertson could fill in for Galy.
Dubas will have to hold firm with guys this year again with the cap not moving up..every dollar counts.
Also of note...Robertson's contract slid this year so his hit is now 793 333.

L K:

--- Quote from: Guilt Trip on June 02, 2021, 10:57:17 AM ---4.5 for Hyman? That's a huge overpay for what he brings. Listen I love his work ethic but the way he's over valued is beyond nuts. He's not a 1st line player and he's not worth what some are mentioning. He has 5 pts in his last 3 playoffs playing with M&M. He had 2 more 5v5 goals then Mikheyev and Engvall. 1 more then Spezza and he played most of his time with M&M. They deserve  a better winger.
I'm also not giving Galchenyuk or Bogo a 500K raise. Time for Liljegren and I think Robertson could fill in for Galy.
Dubas will have to hold firm with guys this year again with the cap not moving up..every dollar counts.
Also of note...Robertson's contract slid this year so his hit is now 793 333.

--- End quote ---

I think we have chatted a few times that I'm in agreement with you.  I'm just erring on the side of I have a feeling he's going to get more.  I hope that isn't the case.

Guilt Trip:
I think if you can get Freddie for 3 mill or less, you do it. I think they would make a good tandem. Not sure we can rely on Jack for a full season. I also think you try to get Rielly signed for a small raise now if you can. If not, trade him this off season and let Sandin, Dermott take over. I would bring Simmonds back at league minimum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version