Author Topic: Oilers @ Leafs - Jan. 22nd, 7:00pm - TSN4, TSN 1050  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Oilers @ Leafs - Jan. 22nd, 7:00pm - TSN4, TSN 1050
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 11:14:57 AM »
I'd rather have Nylander play centre than put one of Engvall or Spezza at 3C.

This is definitely a better time to try it than an elimination game.

Yeah, I don't think we need to try this anymore.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 11:15:39 AM »
I'd probably go:

Vesey-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Marner
Mikheyev-Engvall-Spezza
Barabanov-Brooks-Simmonds

L1 has already been together all season and been mostly successful although now they'll be tasked with tougher match-ups. There was a planned change to have Hyman there but for now that can be postponed. If Vesey can't keep up with those you can swap him with Mikheyev but for now I'd like to keep the depth spread out a little more.

L2 is the checking line but with Marner now. I think that probably makes the most sense.

L3/L4 is whatever. I think L3 had some minutes as a trio last season, or at the very least Engvall and Spezza played together a fair bit, so there will at least be some familiarity there. But you could swap Barabanov or Simmonds for Spezza or Engvall if preferred.

I think that's a thoughtful build, albeit a waste of Marner's offense at 5v5 (not that there has been much this season). That said, Marner is an 11M guy and now is the time to show he is as on par with Matthews as he believes he is.

PP1 is getting stacked by default now
Hyman/Simmonds
Nylander - Tavares - Marner
Rielly
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 11:21:56 AM »
I think that's a thoughtful build, albeit a waste of Marner's offense at 5v5.

Maybe. Although I would say the big problem with the offence of that checking line this season has been the lack of a primary puck carrier. Hyman seems to have been doing much of that from my view so having Marner in charge of carrying the puck through the neutral zone could provide an offensive boost to those guys. In any event, these non-Matthews lines will hopefully only need to get us through a game or two so I wouldn't worry too much about something like that.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 11:26:05 AM »
Where's Denis Malgin when you need him.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 11:28:46 AM »
Where's Denis Malgin when you need him.

Petan is around, right?
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 11:29:48 AM »
I'd probably go:

Vesey-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Marner
Mikheyev-Engvall-Spezza
Barabanov-Brooks-Simmonds

L1 has already been together all season and been mostly successful although now they'll be tasked with tougher match-ups. There was a planned change to have Hyman there but for now that can be postponed. If Vesey can't keep up with those you can swap him with Mikheyev but for now I'd like to keep the depth spread out a little more.

L2 is the checking line but with Marner now. I think that probably makes the most sense.

L3/L4 is whatever. I think L3 had some minutes as a trio last season, or at the very least Engvall and Spezza played together a fair bit, so there will at least be some familiarity there. But you could swap Barabanov or Simmonds for Spezza or Engvall if preferred.

I think that's a thoughtful build, albeit a waste of Marner's offense at 5v5 (not that there has been much this season). That said, Marner is an 11M guy and now is the time to show he is as on par with Matthews as he believes he is.

PP1 is getting stacked by default now
Hyman/Simmonds
Nylander - Tavares - Marner
Rielly

Assuming PP 1 is Hyman - Nylander - Tavares - Marner - Rielly and we are going back to 6 defensemen tonight because of forward depth
PP2 is going to be something like Kerfoot - Spezza - Mikheyev - Simmonds - Brodie

I think I would rather have Hyman in front of the net over Simmonds at this point in the season.  I haven't not liked how Simmonds has played but he isn't really doing that much for the team outside of his fight against Montreal.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 11:30:46 AM »
What are you guys going on about?

47 = 1C = No probvall.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2021, 12:27:18 PM »
What are you guys going on about?

47 = 1C = No probvall.
That could go neck to neck.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 01:19:08 PM »
I am so grumpy that Matthews is out. We're projected to be #1 in the North! Let's Go!

Go Leafs Go!
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 01:22:13 PM »
I'd rather have Nylander play centre than put one of Engvall or Spezza at 3C.

This is definitely a better time to try it than an elimination game.

Ya. He's an awesome winger. Let's keep him winging.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 01:33:10 PM »

I mean I'm not saying that he should be a centre permanently, just that he's capable of moving into the position when injuries hit. Is the alternative of playing Kerfoot, who many people also think is better as a winger, at 2C really more appealing?

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 01:36:49 PM »

I mean I'm not saying that he should be a centre permanently, just that he's capable of moving into the position when injuries hit. Is the alternative of playing Kerfoot, who many people also think is better as a winger, at 2C really more appealing?

Sure, but you're deleting winger Nylander, and in that case I'd rather have Kerfoot at C and winger Nylander doing his thing.

Offline Chris

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 02:21:52 PM »
Let's try again

Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Marner
Vesey - Brooks - Spezza
Barabanov - Engvall - Simmonds

eh...

Mikheyev - Tavares - Hyman
Vesey - Nylander - Marner
Engvall - Kerfoot - Barabanov
Brooks - Spezza - Simmonds

I don't hate this that much

I really don't know what I'd do in terms of line combos. Definitely an opportunity for some fringe players to step up and make a statement.

Mikheyev - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Kerfoot - Nylander 
Vesey - Engvall -  - Barabanov
Brooks - Spezza - Simmonds

Why...first line, Tavares and Marner have worked well together. Tavares is a shooter, Mikheyev also and is fast enough to get in on the forecheck.

Second line, give Kerfoot a chance to see if he can make a consistent impact in a more offensive role. Nylander is the shooter here, all 3 are quick and Hyman does the board work.

Third line, Engvall is a good skater. This is where Vesey belongs IMO even when everyone is healthy. Barabanov - who knows. I wouldn't mind seeing him given a shot higher  up in the lineup but I don't think anyone has a clue what he might be able to provide. Maybe switch him and Hyman to even out the 2nd/3rd lines a bit,

Fourth line, probably won't play much so meh. The slow line. Spezza could be subbed in on other lines when offense is needed. Brooks might be a "safer" bet to play a bigger role on line 3 if Barabanov isn't up to the job.

Offline hap_leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 02:39:02 PM »
Sportsnet says James Neal will likely slot in for his debut tonight.  I see he had covid-19 IR protocol since Jan. 12. How long is the required time off, assuming he was negative?

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 02:55:09 PM »
I would vote Nylander to C. I like the Kerfoot shutdown line concept and performance thus far. I think the team really needs that defensive first match up line. Let's stick to the game plan and not throw anything out the window so early.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.