Just for Fun > Ok Blue Jays Talk

2021 Blue Jays General Discussion Thread

<< < (114/118) > >>

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Joe S. on December 09, 2021, 04:20:29 PM ---Not to say thag this is true but I haven’t even heard if he’s interviewed for the job or that the Mets have even spoken to him. I think this is all based on a Morosi tweet that had no substance to it.

Pete Walker is one name to remember as #Mets continue to evaluate managerial candidates. Walker pitched for the Mets and has received very strong reviews in the industry for his work as #BlueJays pitching coach, most notably with Robbie Ray's success in Toronto.— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) December 8, 2021
--- End quote ---
?s=20

--- End quote ---

If he was being considered, he's not anymore:

Mets are beginning second-round of managerial interviews today. Three interviews over the next four days, with Steve Cohen involved. Buck Showalter, Joe Espada and Matt Quatraro are the remaining candidates.— Mike Puma (@NYPost_Mets) December 14, 2021
--- End quote ---

Dappleganger:

--- Quote from: Nik on December 09, 2021, 04:22:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dappleganger on December 09, 2021, 04:17:19 PM ---Pay him more. He's in charge of what $80m? of inventory. Get him paid. Less stress of not being the Manager. Easy peasy.

--- End quote ---

If a guy wants to be a manager and you're not prepared to make him one I think it's generally understood that you'll let them take an offer. I think Walker has done a generally very good job and would like the Jays to keep him but I also don't think the guy is an irreplaceable miracle worker.

--- End quote ---

Irreplaceable miracle worker? No, of course not, he's just a cog in the machine but a guy that helps you build success. Is he as valuable to the club's success as Charlie Montoyo? I'd say he's more valuable.

Nik:

--- Quote from: Dappleganger on December 14, 2021, 02:03:26 PM ---Irreplaceable miracle worker? No, of course not, he's just a cog in the machine but a guy that helps you build success. Is he as valuable to the club's success as Charlie Montoyo? I'd say he's more valuable.

--- End quote ---

Which is fair enough but if the way to keep him around is give him Montoyo's job you'd be removing him from doing the thing he's proven valuable at and asking him to do a wildly different job he may or may not be good at and have to replace him as pitching coach anyways.

Dappleganger:

--- Quote from: Nik on December 14, 2021, 02:27:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dappleganger on December 14, 2021, 02:03:26 PM ---Irreplaceable miracle worker? No, of course not, he's just a cog in the machine but a guy that helps you build success. Is he as valuable to the club's success as Charlie Montoyo? I'd say he's more valuable.

--- End quote ---

Which is fair enough but if the way to keep him around is give him Montoyo's job you'd be removing him from doing the thing he's proven valuable at and asking him to do a wildly different job he may or may not be good at and have to replace him as pitching coach anyways.

--- End quote ---

No, no, no. Just pay him like a Manager as the Pitching coach.

Nik:

--- Quote from: Dappleganger on December 14, 2021, 02:37:58 PM ---No, no, no. Just pay him like a Manager as the Pitching coach.

--- End quote ---

Right but you were responding to my post where I said "if he wants to be a Manager..." so I was going with that as the supposition for why he was interested in the Mets job as opposed to just money.

Although, as pointed out, this all seems to be moot as he doesn't appear to still be in the running(if he ever really was). Honestly though, as much as I like him as a Pitching coach I think the difference in how much you'd have to pay him and what he's worth vs. using that money on an actual baseball player and finding the next best pitching coach you can probably doesn't favour trying to outbid a New York team on a guy they want to manage(which, again, it seems like they don't).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version